Lecom Erie vs Pcom Phillly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orion Pax

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been blessed to have been accepted to both programs for the fall of 2019. I'm trying to decide for sure which acceptance I want to take and would appreciate any thoughts anyone would like to add. I am leaning towards PCOM for many reasons at the moment. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

PCOM

pros:

- Solid reputation
- Established rotation sites
- No regular mandatory classes
- no mandatory dress
- Relatively close to home (in the same state)
-Felt right when I interviewed there. Really positive environment and students seemed very friendly and cooperative.
- Actually met a classmate from undergrad there and he basically said PCOM is the place to be.

cons:

- More expensive 50k vs 30k a year roughly
- Farther from home than LECOM
- Big City ( This is a very minor factor)
-kinda expensive to live there

LECOM

pros:
- closer to home
- cheaper tuition
- cheap living expenses

cons:
- not as strong rotation sites (my opinion, would appreciate thoughts on this)
- mandatory classes
-mandatory dress ( i really despise this)
- atmosphere when I interviewed was so so
- going to have to buy another vehicle for the snow

In terms of getting the best medical education I possibly can, I feel PCOM is superior. However, I am not one to neglect the financial implications as well. Is the education at PCOM worth an extra 20k a year compared to LECOM?

In terms of what field I want to pursue, I am interested in family practice and internal medicine but I would hate to corner myself in that position at this point in my life. I may very well change my mind down the road and want to leave my options as open as I can.

I don't have any desire to do any surgical fields or highly competitive fields such as derm or plastics.

Would be extremely grateful for any thoughts or opinions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.