LECOM Post Bacc- 2009-2010 applicants/class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey post-baccs! First of all, congrats. I am a second year LECOM student myself. When I started last year it was such a scramble to find housing since weare not originally from Erie. My husband and I own a gorgeous 2 unit victoriaN home directly between main campus and the post bacc campus by the bayfront.

Both units will be available at the end of AUGUST if any of you are still looking. The first floor is a 3br qba for 750 and the upstairs is a 2br 1ba for 625. This home is a professional carpenters labor of love and you will see why. Offstreet parking, laundry, perfect oak floors,etc. You can see more pics at 219west21st.com
Those pics are mostly downstairs as the upstairs we are currently updating as we speak with new caninets, countetops, and appliances.
Send me a pm if you wold like more info

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an accounting major at a top 50 undergrad private school. I have a 3.86 gpa and my SATs were as follows: Math-660 Reading-580. Being that I really didn't think I wanted to go to medical school until this year I have no volunteer experience but I do have some prestigious internships on my resume at Booz Allen (a selective consulting firm). What are my chances of getting into one of the big three post bacc programs (Bryn Mawr, Goucher, and Scripps)??????? Any and all feedback is welcome!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
GA PCOM does not have a high linkage in my opinion.

Others to keep in mind Touro NY, Touro NV, NSU MBS, KCOM MBS to just name a few.

With your stats and some solid extra curriculuar activites/LOR, I think you would have a shot at some interviews.

I have a low GPA -- 2.4. :( I messed up my entire academic career by devoting too much time to work (to support myself) and bf's (should have never dated a soul until I graduated Med School lol) However, when taking the AAMC MCAT practice exams, I have been scoring between a 32-37 (verbal reasoning section scores are fluctuating tremendously).
I will travel any avenue...any path... to become a doctor. Yet, do I even have a shot? What are the chances of me getting into the LECOM post bacc program and then acceptance into their DO program?

(I posted this for PCOM...just wanted to know anyone's thoughts regarding LECOM)

It's in you rmatriculation packet.

It depends where you're from as each state has a different policy on requests for background checks. I think California and a few other states will not accept a background request so you'll need to go through the national FBI check but for most other states, just obtain a set of fingerprints to send in and forward the reply back to LECOM's security office.

Hey guys,
Congrats to all of you. Hopefully you'll love erie. My only advice is don't live in Granada.

If anyone gets into the program last minute and needs a place, drop me a line, my roomie took a leave of abscence...thanks!

When do I start applications?

What is the difference between the post bac and the Masters in Biomedical Sciences? Is it just 1 year vs 2 years?

If I do well in the first year of the masters, will I be able to enter as a MSI without finishing the second year?

How is the post bac funded if it is the better choice? I understand that with a Masters, it would be easier to get loans is that correct?

Lastly, will I be able to use an MCAT score for the Masters?

Last edited:
Yeah we're starting in 3 days so I have serious doubts to say the least that you will make it in this cycle. Anyway applying in December through February should be early enough for this program.

The main difference between the post-bacc and the masters is like you said, 1 year vs. 2 years. The post-bacc is strictly the lecture and medical school classes whereas the Masters has the post-bacc first year and then does research for their second year under a faculty member and must write a thesis/defend it etc. Masters students will actually take classes with the post-bacc students and post-bacc students will have an option should they not receive the conditional acceptance to continue on in the Masters program for their second year at the end of the program in April.

If you do "well" as a post-bacc you will receive an interview and then possibly a conditional acceptance about 4-5 days after. That will be more outlined in your acceptance letter from the Provost, not going to go over it.

Post-bacc is funded by whatever options you deem you require. Federal loans, private loans, personal savings, etc. If you went Masters you would have the same options available to you, no easier. Cost of living here in Erie is substantially lower than most other areas. Ie. I live in a very nice 2BR apartment downtown and pay 400, splitting the rent (800) with my roommate.

MCAT may be optional for the post-bacc during acceptance into the program but is required before January 1st should you wish to be eligible for a conditional acceptance. GRE is required for the Masters thus if you are in the post-bacc and wish to continue for another year to obtain the degree, then you will need to take the GRE and submit it into LECOM before entering the second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah we're starting in 3 days so I have serious doubts to say the least that you will make it in this cycle. Anyway applying in December through February should be early enough for this program.

The main difference between the post-bacc and the masters is like you said, 1 year vs. 2 years. The post-bacc is strictly the lecture and medical school classes whereas the Masters has the post-bacc first year and then does research for their second year under a faculty member and must write a thesis/defend it etc. Masters students will actually take classes with the post-bacc students and post-bacc students will have an option should they not receive the conditional acceptance to continue on in the Masters program for their second year at the end of the program in April.

If you do "well" as a post-bacc you will receive an interview and then possibly a conditional acceptance about 4-5 days after. That will be more outlined in your acceptance letter from the Provost, not going to go over it.

Post-bacc is funded by whatever options you deem you require. Federal loans, private loans, personal savings, etc. If you went Masters you would have the same options available to you, no easier. Cost of living here in Erie is substantially lower than most other areas. Ie. I live in a very nice 2BR apartment downtown and pay 400, splitting the rent (800) with my roommate.

MCAT may be optional for the post-bacc during acceptance into the program but is required before January 1st should you wish to be eligible for a conditional acceptance. GRE is required for the Masters thus if you are in the post-bacc and wish to continue for another year to obtain the degree, then you will need to take the GRE and submit it into LECOM before entering the second year.

Thanks a lot for your informative response! It is my intention to take the MCAT at the earliest date in January, unless I can somehow take it next week. I would like to apply for DO school for 2011 but at this point, I feel like my application would be absurdly late and am considering the postbac route instead.

Edit:Nevermind late registration closed. Using this year's schedule, if I take the MCAT in January 2011 and scores don't get released until March, would I be too late for the post bac?

Talk to Tom Ross about it would be my best advice.

Depending on the strength of your application is whether LECOM will wait on your MCAT score before making a decision on your application. My gut instinct tells me that you should be fine but the earlier you have a complete application, the quicker LECOM will be able to provide you with a definite response/decision.

Damn, I'm guessing a complete application means MCAT score released? That said, I will clarify with Tom Ross. Either way, if Jan 2011 MCAT scores are not out until March 2011, I probably won't hear back from any program until close to May. Arg, I would hate to take a gap year after graduating Spring 2011.

do you think they will consider a recently dismissed medical student for academic reasons?

I honestly have no idea so if you want to talk about a certain scenario regarding hypotheticals or your own/friend's situation, it would be best to speak with a LECOM admissions counselor or recruiter.

My personal opinion for what its worth is that no program or school except the student's former institution would be willing to accept such a student. Its simply not worth the risk, just like why not alll schools arewilling to look at successful SMP students with a tarnished undergraduate. With a plethora of applicants with solid applications, why would you want to take a chance on someone who has done poorly before? Not to mention on AACOMAS/AMCAS there is always that section of "have you attended medical school before" and the dreaded white box below it that says "if yes, please explain". Probably not a good thing to be filling out.

I'm pretty sure I could do well in the certificate program since it is less intense and less credits per semester. Plus, I have seen or taken a lot of the courses in medical school. I didn't have trouble with the content of medical school as much as the course load, 26 credits a semester was a lot to handle.

We had a program like this at my old school, i don't see how it would be a very good predictor. They take a reduced course load and are basically on a five year plan. It was almost not fair. I could of done well on a five year plan.

I honestly have no idea so if you want to talk about a certain scenario regarding hypotheticals or your own/friend's situation, it would be best to speak with a LECOM admissions counselor or recruiter.

My personal opinion for what its worth is that no program or school except the student's former institution would be willing to accept such a student. Its simply not worth the risk, just like why not alll schools arewilling to look at successful SMP students with a tarnished undergraduate. With a plethora of applicants with solid applications, why would you want to take a chance on someone who has done poorly before? Not to mention on AACOMAS/AMCAS there is always that section of "have you attended medical school before" and the dreaded white box below it that says "if yes, please explain". Probably not a good thing to be filling out.

Hey all, a lot of good information in this thread. I will be finishing Organic this summer and then taking the MCAT. My undergraduate GPA is low due to my first two years of college when I got academically dismissed from school. Since then I have returned to the school, earned my BA in Psychology and now am taking my med school pre-reqs. I will probably have to wait until 2012 since I won't be taking my MCAT until July 2011.

I current have a GPA of around 2.70 which I am raising.
Community service involvment in undergrad.
A letter of recommendation from a MD and from a DO.
Pharmacy experience.
A year of nurse assistant experience at an urban Buffalo hospital.
At the time of applying I will have a year of experience as an EMT-B (formerly EMT-D).

I am hoping a to get a great MCAT score and that my experience will help push me into admission. I will definately be monitoring this thread (along with other non-URM (white guy here with nothing but western European ancestry) post-baccs.

Keep up all the good advice.

I'm pretty sure I could do well in the certificate program since it is less intense and less credits per semester. Plus, I have seen or taken a lot of the courses in medical school. I didn't have trouble with the content of medical school as much as the course load, 26 credits a semester was a lot to handle.

We had a program like this at my old school, i don't see how it would be a very good predictor. They take a reduced course load and are basically on a five year plan. It was almost not fair. I could of done well on a five year plan.

Definitely agree with the first statement. Its the same material as what the MS1/2s are getting with the same instructors but the material is abridged (anatomy does not cover extremities for example).

Again, this is only my opinion but its a more genuine predictor than taking more courses in undergrad by allowing you take medical school level courses with a less intensity. Each of the applicants in here are already required to have an MCAT score that is acceptable to LECOM as well as a complete application and the program itself functions more or less like an 8-9 month long interview. Yes the courses are less intensive by allowing us to have more time to study before tests as well as less material covered, but at the same time, you're still taking the same exams (questions removed from material not covered), same teachers, same lecture slides, etc. so its a "gauge" of some sorts. Anyway, my opinion only.

As for the 5 year comment, sure i do agree as well, but isn't that roughly sort of what we're paying for at this point? We're doing pseudo medical school without actually being in medical school for a year and paying for it in both time and money. I doubt anyone would want to sign up for 5 years of medical school when you can do 4 because it would be a year off of your peak income, more debt, more time spent, etc. Granted 4 years is drinking more water from a fire hydrant rather than from a faucet (analogy only) as compared to a five, but still. Several of my friends currently as first years that graduated from the program last year keep telling me that their first year is alot easier because a large part (just between start till now) has been review.

Hey all, a lot of good information in this thread. I will be finishing Organic this summer and then taking the MCAT. My undergraduate GPA is low due to my first two years of college when I got academically dismissed from school. Since then I have returned to the school, earned my BA in Psychology and now am taking my med school pre-reqs. I will probably have to wait until 2012 since I won't be taking my MCAT until July 2011.

I current have a GPA of around 2.70 which I am raising.
Community service involvment in undergrad.
A letter of recommendation from a MD and from a DO.
Pharmacy experience.
A year of nurse assistant experience at an urban Buffalo hospital.
At the time of applying I will have a year of experience as an EMT-B (formerly EMT-D).

I am hoping a to get a great MCAT score and that my experience will help push me into admission. I will definately be monitoring this thread (along with other non-URM (white guy here with nothing but western European ancestry) post-baccs.

Keep up all the good advice.

I'd advise you to apply in anyway and talk to the program director/admissions counselors in seeing if LECOM will be willing to wait on your MCAT scores if there is a possible way. Maybe it's just me but I don't like to waste time, and for you to take a glide year when you may not have would be depressing.

Keep up the clinical activities while trying to upgrade the rest of the application and hopefully things will turn out for you.

Good luck

I'd advise you to apply in anyway and talk to the program director/admissions counselors in seeing if LECOM will be willing to wait on your MCAT scores if there is a possible way.

Thanks.

thats the great thing about this program. There were students in my class who would have low passes in all their classes first year. In my view, these students in my previous class are most likely going to fail out their second year. Since second year builds on first year material that they didn't learn real well to begin with. They should of been advised to be on five year plan to bring their 70's up to 90's and they would be in a better position to succed second year.

Definitely agree with the first statement. Its the same material as what the MS1/2s are getting with the same instructors but the material is abridged (anatomy does not cover extremities for example).

Again, this is only my opinion but its a more genuine predictor than taking more courses in undergrad by allowing you take medical school level courses with a less intensity. Each of the applicants in here are already required to have an MCAT score that is acceptable to LECOM as well as a complete application and the program itself functions more or less like an 8-9 month long interview. Yes the courses are less intensive by allowing us to have more time to study before tests as well as less material covered, but at the same time, you're still taking the same exams (questions removed from material not covered), same teachers, same lecture slides, etc. so its a "gauge" of some sorts. Anyway, my opinion only.

As for the 5 year comment, sure i do agree as well, but isn't that roughly sort of what we're paying for at this point? We're doing pseudo medical school without actually being in medical school for a year and paying for it in both time and money. I doubt anyone would want to sign up for 5 years of medical school when you can do 4 because it would be a year off of your peak income, more debt, more time spent, etc. Granted 4 years is drinking more water from a fire hydrant rather than from a faucet (analogy only) as compared to a five, but still. Several of my friends currently as first years that graduated from the program last year keep telling me that their first year is alot easier because a large part (just between start till now) has been review.

I'd advise you to apply in anyway and talk to the program director/admissions counselors in seeing if LECOM will be willing to wait on your MCAT scores if there is a possible way. Maybe it's just me but I don't like to waste time, and for you to take a glide year when you may not have would be depressing.

Keep up the clinical activities while trying to upgrade the rest of the application and hopefully things will turn out for you.

Good luck

I called the school, they said they would consider me for this program. Will I get in? I would say it will be tough with my dismissal on my record. Or if I do get into this program, I would think it would still be tough to convince them on my medical school interview for this school to let me in the program given my poor track record.

After reading every thread about LECOM's post bacc program, I am still a little confused. Does LECOM leave enough seats so that everyone who gets above a 3.0 and meets the 22 MCAT would matriculate. Suppose a student gets a 3.2 and has a 22 on the MCAT. Is that still a "high predictor" of acceptance or are they going to tell you at the end that you should raise your MCAT score. I am very intrested in the program but some posts suggest that LECOM doesnt leave enough seats for the post bacc students which would suggest then if everyone met the GPA and MCAT requirement, they still stand a decent chance of not getting in. For any students who are in the program, has this question/issue been addressed? Thanks for your help

I called the school, they said they would consider me for this program. Will I get in? I would say it will be tough with my dismissal on my record. Or if I do get into this program, I would think it would still be tough to convince them on my medical school interview for this school to let me in the program given my poor track record.

I really have no idea, I doubt you're going to get a constructive or objective answer asking on these forums either unless a LECOM adcom member or admission adviser is lurking around that we don't know about. But I do have a classmate this year who is 27 who despite a pretty rough start at a very early age (includes a DUI at 18) is currently in the program. Not the same, I know but it does look like a point in your favor that LECOM is willing to overlook certain problems in the past.

After reading every thread about LECOM's post bacc program, I am still a little confused. Does LECOM leave enough seats so that everyone who gets above a 3.0 and meets the 22 MCAT would matriculate. Suppose a student gets a 3.2 and has a 22 on the MCAT. Is that still a "high predictor" of acceptance or are they going to tell you at the end that you should raise your MCAT score. I am very intrested in the program but some posts suggest that LECOM doesnt leave enough seats for the post bacc students which would suggest then if everyone met the GPA and MCAT requirement, they still stand a decent chance of not getting in. For any students who are in the program, has this question/issue been addressed? Thanks for your help

If you read most of the posts from the past, then all I can say is most of them are on point. I pretty much stand by everything I had posted before and I'm in my third week of the program at LECOM right now. As for your seat question, it has never been an issue before and now LECOM has expanded to two more branch campuses (SH and Bradenton) so Dr. Ferretti has access to 500 seats. Whether you will get your first choice in location and pathway can be debated but you will definitely have a seat reserved for you upon entry into the program, and the seat in that specific campus/pathway come late Jan/Feb when the conditional acceptances are passed out. You can take my word for it or throw it out the window.

If you read most of the posts from the past, then all I can say is most of them are on point. I pretty much stand by everything I had posted before and I'm in my third week of the program at LECOM right now. As for your seat question, it has never been an issue before and now LECOM has expanded to two more branch campuses (SH and Bradenton) so Dr. Ferretti has access to 500 seats. Whether you will get your first choice in location and pathway can be debated but you will definitely have a seat reserved for you upon entry into the program, and the seat in that specific campus/pathway come late Jan/Feb when the conditional acceptances are passed out. You can take my word for it or throw it out the window.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking your time to reply. Im taking your word for it. I lll be applying in january and just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight before I get too excited. Best of luck to you

Just curious, it says medical student on your status so why would you be applying to one of these programs when you're already in medical school?

I really have no idea, I doubt you're going to get a constructive or objective answer asking on these forums either unless a LECOM adcom member or admission adviser is lurking around that we don't know about. But I do have a classmate this year who is 27 who despite a pretty rough start at a very early age (includes a DUI at 18) is currently in the program. Not the same, I know but it does look like a point in your favor that LECOM is willing to overlook certain problems in the past.

If you read most of the posts from the past, then all I can say is most of them are on point. I pretty much stand by everything I had posted before and I'm in my third week of the program at LECOM right now. As for your seat question, it has never been an issue before and now LECOM has expanded to two more branch campuses (SH and Bradenton) so Dr. Ferretti has access to 500 seats. Whether you will get your first choice in location and pathway can be debated but you will definitely have a seat reserved for you upon entry into the program, and the seat in that specific campus/pathway come late Jan/Feb when the conditional acceptances are passed out. You can take my word for it or throw it out the window.

There were students at my old school that had DUI's on their record. I don't think it is a big a deal as most people on this website make it out to be.

I need to change my status. I dont come on here very much so I didnt even remember to change it

The administration is very understanding of a difficult past. They are just when they do not tolerate inexcusable behavior when currently enrolled.

And about the seats question, we were told last year that everyone that met the requirements that were made plain (3.0, 22) would get in, and they did as they said. What happens this or next year, I do not know, but likely something similar I would think

Last edited:
Yeah I do agree with the statement about the administration. Alot of the people in this program have a deficiency in their application where some have had a torrid ug GPA (like me) or have a low MCAT (they probably need to retake in Jan if they don't meet the requirements) but this is seen more as a chance to prove themselves.

Like 1cor has said, they made the requirements crystal clear on orientation day. Everyone in here has a spot reserved for them in the medical school, Dr. Ferretti assured that, but "our side of the deal" is to meet not only the #s requirements in the program and the MCAT, but to stay "clean" and adhere to all policies (mandatory attendance, dress code, other LECOM things, etc). To me this is quite fair but it honestly isn't for everyone as I think one guy already dropped out for personal reasons after attending the first few lectures.

The workload is manageable and in no way do I feel like I'm competing with my other classmates. If there was any advice I could impart this early, it would be to really try to come in with the "right" mindset and realize what study method works best for you. This includes who you study with, how much time you're spending studying, and sticking to a routine as much as possible. 36% of my class failed the first test (below C = F) and this is apparently normal according to previous years but I expect the numbers to rapidly decrease come next Monday when we get to take our second one.

what is the normal time line to apply to this program?

I'd say Dec or January would be about right. Call a couple times to make sure everything is received.

Anyone know what the essay question(s) is/are for this program. I want to have my entire app ready ahead of time so I can send everything in together as soon as things open up.

Thanks

I'm a post bac student at LECOM now. You can't even apply to this program until Jan 1. You have to do an inquiry on the portal. I can't remember what the essay is of if we even had 1.

In all seriousness about the program. You have to score a 22 on the MCAT or higher. If you don't have that by the start of the program in September I wouldn't even do the program. I know there are kids in the program without the 22. Why would someone go to a program spend 30K and not even have a high enough MCAT to get into the next phase of the program? That is rather stupid. So they are putting all their eggs in one basket in Jan? That would make me really nervous.

They are less strict about the GPA. I'm not sure if they have a cut off, but I want to say a 3.0 or higher in undergrad. I graduated with a 3.6 from a major university so it didn't matter.

I'll say it again... the MCAT is the big deal. If you get a 21 on the MCAT they will NOT accept you. They make that very clear.

If you get a 22 on the MCAT and have close to a 3.0 in program you will get a interview. If you do all 3 things (22 or higher on the MCAT, a 3.0 in the post bacc program when it finishes in April, and no drugs) you will be accepted. Everyone that did all three of things were accepted last year.

Don't worry about having the application in the first day. The admissions office is really slow. They have 4 admissions people for 3 branches. It takes months. I applied in Jan, it took till the end of March for them to get my MCAT, and then I was accepted the last week of May.

This school is very strict on rules. The dress code must be followed. You are not allowed to eat in class or even drink. People do it. They bring water in and they mark them down. They do attendence everyday and you have to be on time. It would look awful to be interviewed with 30 tardies in the first semester alone. If this really turns you off, I wouldn't go to LECOM. I honestly didn't know it was like this when I signed up. Just a FYI....

Not everyone in this program has a issue with GPA or MCAT. I applied to this program because I wanted to make sure medicine is right for me. I had a horrible experience shadowing with a OBGYN and it really turned me off to the whole thing. Even though I complain about the dress code and food situation, I am very happy to be a LECOM. They professors are wonderful and I have learned more in 1 month at lecom than I did in 4 years at the University of Pittsburgh. This program has really made me excited about medicine and my career path.

Send me a message if you have a question.

Last edited:
Hmm FutureDoc, I wonder which one of my classmates you are.

We did have an essay though the topic in question escapes me at the moment also.

I agree with all that was said above with the exception of the MCAT. It would make life far easier should you meet the MCAT requirement prior to entering the program but life is hardly ideal. There are about 13-15 of our classmates that need to retake the MCAT and the best possible scenario would be in January prior to when the interviews will be given though you will still have the opportunity to do so prior to completion of the program in April. The material that we are learning is quite relevant and helpful for the BS section so should you be having difficulties on this part of the MCAT, then I have little doubt that you should improve your score if you can master what is taught in lecture.

So to "reiterate," if you have below a 22 by the completion of the program, you will not matriculate into the medical school. But if you have a score below a 22 upon applying to the program, you will still be considered if you have other strengths in your application that suggests potential of being a medical school student.

As was said above, not all of us have a deficiency in either GPA or MCAT but a substantial number of us do.

That said, I also am quite satisfied with the program, the faculty and the school. It has almost been a unanimous feeling amongst my classmates that this program has really been a reality check of what medical school will be like and how much further we have to improve ourselves to excel to get there and succeed. The policies are strict, LECOM isn't for everyone and the program is far from being a walk in the park (36% of the class is failing) but they are sincere in that every student accepted into the program has a spot reserved for them in medical school. It's up to your own efforts whether you will make it come April.

Haha I sit way in the back!

I agree I guess the MCAT was harsh, but the last MCAT they will take is the Jan Test Date of the year you will start. So there is really only one more chance. I think that if will help with BS, but it will not help with PS or VR. I guess maybe it would a little because they are changing our thinking skills a tad. I'm not sure though.

I understand that the program is no walk in the park, but you said that 36% of the class is failing? How "doable" is the program then? I read posts before about people holding jobs while in the program (sort of suggesting you can get a 3.0 while while having other major distractions) and then your post. Obviously the program must be very fast paced but how many students make it out with the 3.0 at the end of the year? Are you pulling all nighters frequently and feel like this is absurd? or it is at the level of difficlty you exprected going in?

Thanks for all your help

I know for fact only about half the kids last year made it to MS-1 year. I heard this from a MS-2 student this year. The program is very demanding and I would not work. I have a feeling that the MCAT score holds most of the people back not the grades in post-bacc.

NEVER EVER all nighters. This is so bad for so many reasons. When you do a all nighter you will not remember it come final exam time. At LECOM anything they ever went over is fair game on exam. That also lowers the test scores because you have to remember everything. I like this and it will help me a ton when it comes COMLEX and USMLE time!

The program is not absurd. They are training us to become future physicians. Anyway you look at its a tough job. I spend all my free time studying and I'm doing very well. I'm not sure how someone can get a 36% on a biochem exam on proteins, txn, and translation. Like 10 of questions were just memorizing mechanism of action certain drugs. They are not putting the time in. Just my 2 cents.

Well it's very relative when you ask the difficulty of the program. I think all the material taught has been done in a meticulous manner and all the exams have been more than fair. Professors usually emphasize what the key points of each lecture as well as giving sample clinical problems to demonstrate how these concepts will be asked on the exam. The material isn't too difficult but the amount of studying you will need to put in to master the 100+ ppt slides each lecture takes time. As futuredoc said, all things said/shown in lecture is fair game for an exam so for me, repetition, diagramming and quizzing friends have helped me to recall material adeptly for use during exams and workshops. But I also agree that the 36% that I mentioned before is mostly due to the fault of the individual rather than being fuly attributed to the difficulty of the program. Some people just come in with the wrong mindset, bad time organization, still think it's undergrad, etc. and you start digging yourself a hole from day 1.

As I had said before, we have the same professors as the medical students, the same lectures and more or less the same exams. Some courses will be abridged to allow for the 2 semesters that the program runs but the current core course (Physio) is not one of those. The upside is we have plenty of time to study by only being in class for much of the afternoon so we have time to workout, shadow, and more or less relax compared to the medical students.

Thanks a lot to both of you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. Good luck as well!

Sorry I know I've asked this question before but if someone is accepted into the Master Biomedical Science program, are they required to complete the 2 years or can they matriculate after the first year? I know some of the other 2 year SMP programs allow that but I couldn't find too much information for LECOM's program.

Yes that would be possible if you have an MCAT score. Those that apply straight into the Masters of Biomedical Science program usually have only a GRE. LECOM admissions will only consider someone for their conditional acceptance if they are a) in the program and b) possess the minimum numbers for both MCAT and GPA in the program and c) have all the materials in their application required for medical school admissions. There is one classmate of mine that is currently in the M.S. program (takes the same curriculum as us for the first year as M.S. students) that is planning on taking the MCAT.

I think they wouldn't like you not finishing the second year. Most med schools want you to complete what you started. Plus masters does not nothing for med school, its undergrad.

Plus its another year of money they get out of you. Thats 6 years at LECOM that would be too many ties for me.

Just study your butt off over the summer and get the MCAT score.

Know that FutureDoc and I are both post-bacc students and not masters students so much of the topic that is currently being discussed is purely our opinion.

There are several reasons for why I think they wouldn't care but again, this is all purely subjective. In previous years for this program, those who did not receive an acceptance from LECOM at the completion of the program due to either a sub 3.0 GPA or a below par MCAT were allowed the option of continuing on for a second year as a Masters student and retake any class that he/she wished to repair the GPA or have a year's extension on the MCAT to retake in the hopes of meeting the requirement or exceeding it. The first year curriculum for Masters students and post-bacc students are virtually identical, thus for a technical standpoint, we are all Masters students (so far). (Look at our SGA program rep that we elected's ID card and see what her's says) Of course you would be doing a thesis and doing research along with those classes/mcat studying but the conditional acceptance would also apply to the Masters students for their second year. In fact we might have a few additional new students (academic probation OMS-1s and Master students) next semester. New seating chart!

FutureDoc, you say that most medical schools want you to complete what you started. What evidence do you have for this? I agree with you that it applies to the medical school and in regards to students dropping out/transferring but what evidence do you have that medical schools want you to complete their special masters program (whose purpose is to enhance your application to get into medical school) when you have an application that is already satisfactory after the first year? AZCOM MBS (2yr) and CCOM MBS (2yr) are two other master's programs that are virtually analogous to LECOM's and both have students that matriculate into the medical school after one year. NSU MBS (2 year) in Florida also allows their Masters students to matriculate into the medical school with an 80-90% in all their courses after their first year. Also I think our newly elected program representative for SGA would be quite irate if she learned that she would be forced to do a second year since she's the lone Masters student our year.

Also don't quite understand what you mean by "masters does not nothing for med school, its undergrad." Masters = Graduate School. There are two types of Masters in the science fields, traditional Masters who are a stepping stone towards a PhD and a special masters program which allows you to take medical school courses along with the medical students at the medical school, taugh tby the faculty, etc. It has never been the Masters degree itself that helps your medical school application it is either the advanced medical school coursework and your performance (SMPs) or the research that you've done as a Masters that culminates in publications in peer reviewed journals and abstracts and whatnot. Traditional Masters coursework is usually unrelated to the medical sciences that are taught in medical school and are often discounted as being substantial academic enhancers for those with troubled GPAs as opposed to the coursework of an SMP.

Anyway back to studying neurophysiolgy and the ANS =(

Ok- First off SMP is a huge gamble. I had a friend do this at Georgetown and to even get a look at Gtown she had to be in the top 10% of the first year med school class. If you could be in the top 10% you wouldn't be in the SMP program or have MCAT or GPA issues.

Second- Everyone knows that med schools focus on undergrad GPA. Grade school does nothing for undergrad GPA that is used in the admin process for MS-1. Yes post-bacc programs go into undergrad GPA. If you stay for 2 years I would assume since you get a masters, now you have two years of masters work and no post bacc. So basically you did nothing for your undergrad GPA.

Futhermore, I do not have any data based research to backup my statement. I gathered that info from SDN and other sources. Its common sense. That just looks bad quiting something you started wether it is football practice of college. If I was the dean at any medical school I would say hit the road.

Regardless of all this crap if you want to be a doctor then do the post bacc program. STOP complaining because the MCAT is hard or your GPA sucks. Get it done. My MCAT was horrible the first 3 times I took. I finally did Kaplan, read a ton of articles, studied for two summers and increased 8 points. So it can be done and it happens all the time! So get off SDN and stop having fun and make it happen. How bad do you want to be a doctor that is the question....

LECOM's program is not a SMP. As far as I know it is a degree granting 2 year traditional masters program. It would not enhance your application for medical school. A PhD in neuroanatomy to then go on a teach at a medical school, yes. A SMP is very intense, its your last shot. Compare Georgetown's SMP to what LECOM offers not the same.

Oh... PS: Just do a search on SDN like quitting master/phd for med school see what you find.

Last edited:
Okay, this is not worth debating about imo even though we disagree on many points. This is not an argument nor do I feel it is one. If you wanted to talk further (hardly a worthwhile conversation topic but I'm game), we can do it in class during break or something (I still don't know who you are btw) but I sit near the middle and it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if we don't know each other already. I'

But I did want to leave this thought down though because I do feel strongly enough about it as opposed to the other points.

It is not common sense. You are trying to use common sense on something that doesn't even apply and completely unrelated examples (football?) to support your point of why you shouldn't "quit" an SMP once you get an acceptance. You are not quitting. You are in a program whose whole purpose is to get you into medical school. If you have an application after 1 year that gets you an acceptance somewhere of your liking, then the program has already served its purpose. Furthermore, in this particular example of LECOM's Masters program, it is LECOM itself that would be extending you the interview and extending you the acceptance. If the medical school is willing to take you back into the class, are you going to say "no.. no.. it's ok, I'd love to take you up on your acceptance offer but I'd like to pay 12,500 more in tuition to continue to try and prove myself for another year so you can give me the same offer again." If you have been on SDN for a while like you hint at doing, then you should have seen plenty of posts about 2 year SMP program students getting in after the first year or posts saying "I've been accepted into medical school, what should I do about my SMP??" Well, the answer is always the same as you probably know. You contact the accepted medical school's admissions and ask them if they care if you complete the rest of your program (most of the posts I have seen have been no) and you make sure you get it in writing. As your friend probably knows if she is a Gtown student, Dr. Meyers always boasts that about 50% of the Gtowners get acceptances into medical school (DO and MD though this is not disclosed officially) off of the first year and 80% overall. Why else would some programs tell you to apply the same cycle?

To your P.S. I also unfortunately spend too much time on SDN (this forum is a black hole of my time) with roughly 95% of my posts being on this board regarding programs and applying. I do feel that I have a decent knowledge of what can be defined as an SMP and what cannot. Also, this program (our 1 year program) was actually supposed to be put under graduate coursework on AACOMAS according to Tom and some of the other admissions advisers.

Last edited: