LECOM Post-bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys get en email when a decision was made or did your status just change? How long until you got a letter?
Your status will change to "a decision has been made" and you'll receive a letter in about a week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My status just changed to a decision has been made last Thursday, so nervous for that letter to come in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My status just changed to a decision has been made last Thursday, so nervous for that letter to come in

How long ago did you apply? My application went to under review on the 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete last monday and went under review same day. Changed on Thursday!

Anybody on this thread taking the post bacc program with an interest in dental school? Does anybody know how successful the post bacc program is at helping students get accepted into dental school the following year?
Hi, I just finished the Post Bacc Program this year, and I can tell you, it is really helpful. You will have to study (A LOT) if you really want to successes, but it is doable. It is mostly focused on the premed students since we are only a few (this year had the highest number of pre-dental students and we were 15 at the beginning and 9 finished the program), but at the end they differentiate anatomy, we did head and neck instead of pelvis. Pharmacology is really tough so I suggest you to memorize it very well, probably the only one you will have to memorize a bunch of material.
now, talking about if acceptance or not. at least this year, everybody got an interview on february, however, only the ones that had a GPA 3.0 or above received the contingency letter (it is an acceptance letter, with the 3.0 overall contingency). The second semester is the hardest one, so I suggest you to try to get a good gpa in the first semester so you warranty your interview and contingency letter, and can handle a C in pharmacology on sprint.
I am glad I took this program, it gave a good foundation and helped me to identify what works best for me in order to study efficiently. do not procrastinate, you have to study every day because there is a lot of material to be covered. Ohh, do not take a week off. I did that in the first semester and did not bring good results in the next exam, but you will have chance to recover. Do the study guides for the final in Thanksgiving brake, it is the only time you will have to do that.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I just finished the Post Bacc Program this year, and I can tell you, it is really helpful. You will have to study (A LOT) if you really want to successes, but it is doable. It is mostly focused on the premed students since we are only a few (this year had the highest number of pre-dental students and we were 15 at the beginning and 9 finished the program), but at the end they differentiate anatomy, we did head and neck instead of pelvis. Pharmacology is really tough so I suggest you to memorize it very well, probably the only one you will have to memorize a bunch of material.
now, talking about if acceptance or not. at least this year, everybody got an interview on february, however, only the ones that had a GPA 3.0 or above received the contingency letter (it is an acceptance letter, with the 3.0 overall contingency). The second semester is the hardest one, so I suggest you to try to get a good gpa in the first semester so you warranty your interview and contingency letter, and can handle a C in pharmacology on sprint.
I am glad I took this program, it gave a good foundation and helped me to identify what works best for me in order to study efficiently. do not procrastinate, you have to study every day because there is a lot of material to be covered. Ohh, do not take a week off. I did that in the first semester and did not bring good results in the next exam, but you will have chance to recover. Do the study guides for the final in Thanksgiving brake, it is the only time you will have to do that.

Just to clarify.
The contingency letter for pre-dental students was a 3.0+ and for pre-med students it was a 3.5+. Is that correct @lulu13?

Wow, that is quite an attrition rate for a 1 year program! Congrats to you for being one of the 9 who made it through.

How are your weekends during the program?

Just to clarify.
The contingency letter for pre-dental students was a 3.0+ and for pre-med students it was a 3.5+. Is that correct @lulu13?

No, the contingency for pre dental and med students is the same- 3.0 overall. we all have the same requirements.

How are your weekends during the program?
hahaha, quite interesting.
actually, the weekend was the time to review everything. we had an exam every 2 weeks, so we really had to be on top of it. of course you need time to rest, you can wake up any time but I suggest you to study at least 8 hrs during the weekends. we usually took the night of the exam off, and that's it. when you get use to the pressure you will see what works better for you in the sense of how much time off you can take. usually the weekend before the exam was studying all day all night. what worked for me was studying at school because I got distracted very easily at home going for snacks, taking naps, so it is going to be very helpful if you pay attention and identify your weaknesses. I think this program is all about it.

No, the contingency for pre dental and med students is the same- 3.0 overall. we all have the same requirements.

I know this post was a couple of weeks ago and I'm not too sure about dental, but for the med students, if you got less than 3.5, you didn't get a letter until it was closer to the end of second semester. If you got higher than 3.5, then you got your contingency letter a couple weeks after your interview. That was what Jamie told us during our interview.

To clarify in case anyone gets confused at my post, the requirements for acceptance are still 3.0 or higher in post bac, a certain mcat score/dat score, and decent interview. The contingency letter is dependent on how high your gpa is. You could get it sooner if your gpa is higher or you could get it closer to the end of the spring semester.

I applied a couple of weeks ago and my status changed to "under review" just yesterday. Really hoping to get in (dental track)!! Anyone know how long it takes them to make a decision?

I applied a couple of weeks ago and my status changed to "under review" just yesterday. Really hoping to get in (dental track)!! Anyone know how long it takes them to make a decision?

I was complete on a Monday, status changed on a Thursday. I found out the next Friday in the mail.

For those that did the program, did you guys have trouble with balancing secondaries for other schools as well? I'm retaking my MCAT in July and won't be complete for a lot of schools till end of August, which means the majority of my secondaries are going to be coming during the first semester

Got the letter -- Accepted! Anyone else going on the dental track?

For those that did the program, did you guys have trouble with balancing secondaries for other schools as well? I'm retaking my MCAT in July and won't be complete for a lot of schools till end of August, which means the majority of my secondaries are going to be coming during the first semester
Yes, I would say completing secondaries while in school was difficult. It was more so annoying because you knew that you had new material to study as well as very time-consuming secondaries to complete. Typically, I'd do them in the morning before class and after class I'd study. You can definitely do secondaries and school. However, a good tip would be to look up common secondary questions and start writing answers to them now. That way, when school starts it won't be as hard to fill out your secondaries. Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, I would say completing secondaries while in school was difficult. It was more so annoying because you knew that you had new material to study as well as very time-consuming secondaries to complete. Typically, I'd do them in the morning before class and after class I'd study. You can definitely do secondaries and school. However, a good tip would be to look up common secondary questions and start writing answers to them now. That way, when school starts it won't be as hard to fill out your secondaries. Sorry for the late reply!
I appreciate it, thanks! I'm trying to submit my primary this week so hopefully I can finish a good chunk of secondaries before class starts

I appreciate it, thanks! I'm trying to submit my primary this week so hopefully I can finish a good chunk of secondaries before class starts