LECOM rotations question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_sax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I realize that I have two years before I REALLY need to worry about this, but it's a topic of conversation in my home nonetheless- how often do I or can I move around? I've read many posts ranging from "you can do all of the rotations in one place" to "LECOM wants you to move around a bit." Do you have a significant amount of control or do the powers that be play you like a pawn? I, like many others I'm sure, have a spouse who wants nothing more than to move around as little as possible.

Let me know,

Andrew, MS-I

Members don't see this ad.

Andrew,

Although we haven't had a full explanation of the process, I'll tell you what I have heard. At the beginning of the second year, you form rotation groups within the class. There are several areas from which you choose-Pittsburgh, Erie, Eastern PA, Western PA, NY, GA/FL, MI, OH, etc. Within your group you all have first pick at selecting a hospital within that area. If you want to go to a hospital in a different area for a rotation, you arrange that swap with another student in that other rotation group. There's a certain order to the rotations that you have to stay in and that varies by group (ie. some groups do IM first, others Ob/Gyn, etc.).

There are numerous married couples or people in serious relationships, so your concerns are very common. Though I am no authority on rotations, I would recommend selecting an area (when the time comes) that you would like to stay for MS III and MS IV). The nice thing about this coming year's rotation selection is that rotations are now switching from 6 weeks to 4 weeks, so if you want a rotation away from your wife, it won't be for too long.

When the MSII's find out more we can let you know how it works. If it's a big concern, you can contact Dr. Augostini who is the clinical dean in charge of rotations.

Best of luck. See you in a few weeks.

njdo
MS II