LECOM vs. NSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey SDN physicians,

First of all I'd like to thank you for reading and considering answering my thread. A high school senior, I applied for BS/DO programs, performed interviews successfully at LECOM and NSUCOM, and am trying hard to select between the two. My peers, parents, and instructors are not knowledgable, so I'm asking for your valuable opinion. If you were accepted to BS/DO programs for both LECOM and NSUCOM as a HS senior, which one would you select?

Under the premises:
1. Being enrolled in such dual admissions can lead one to medical school in less time, expenses, and stress. In this program, I'll be able to maintain a sharp focus on undergraduate studies, and not have to spend another extensive period of time researching, worrying, and applying for colleges of osteopathic medicine.
2. LECOM's 3+4 and 4+4 require 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. MCAT test scores not required for matriculation. However, aside med prerequisites, you must also take Biochemistry and Genetics, and earn a "C" or higher.
3. NSUCOM's 3+4 and 4+4 require a 3.3 cGPA. No sGPA minimum specified, but in prerequisite courses you must earn a "C+" or higher. MCAT required; minimum score is 502.
4. Both programs, while guaranteeing graduate matriculation if the minimum requirements are met, are not binding. If I exceed my expectations and reach a competitive GPA and MCAT score at the level for a possibly successful application toPCOM, NYCOM, A.T. Still COM etc., and mid-tier MD Schools, I may attempt those.
5. Multiple scholarship inquiries and interviews made at LECOM-affiliated undergraduate schools as well as NSU. NSU's cost of attendance lowered to around $6,000 a year. For a LECOM-affiliated university, I lowered it to around $13,000 a year.

If you were in my shoes, which program would you choose?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
NSU. No question. Public Uni with a lot of research opportunities. Plus it's cheaper.

You hit the jackpot.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NSU! They have way too many resources to pass up. Lots of opportunities there.

Hey thanks for your suggestions people! If you'd like to hang out near NSU, please leave me a message I:

I'm going to respond to you here because your comments don't belong in the other thread.

The physician here conveyed to us that his job is, and I quote myself, "hands-on, interesting, interactive, and fulfilling." I'm sure more complicated situations may arise in medicine, where for the well-being of our institution, we neglect to relay certain information or truths to the patient; we avoid performing treatments in certain cases for self or an institution's interest. Or, in order to be politically correct. If that is what you are referring to, yes, it is a barnacle, but we don't tread there frequently

No one ever a aid that doctors don't find fulfillment in their jobs, or are happy with their career decision in general. Medicine is very interesting, but it also comes with a ton of baggage. Go look at medacape surveys on physician satisfaction, you will be surprised. And yes actually healthcare does tread there frequently. Have you ever worked in a hospital? No. So you have no idea and are just spouting teenager altruistic nonsense. Healthcare is a business and is all about the bottom line, not at an individual physician level but on a corporate broad level it is all about the sweet $$$

He was expected by the system to meet certain patient numbers within a week. BUT, although pace is accelerated, he's able to produce critical diagnosis in little time, and make quick yet precise strokes in surgery. You can get used to the system, gain proficiency in what you do in time, and certainly still offer adequate care for patients that come i

This has nothing to do with what we are talking about. See bolded because that is a cog in the wheel my friend, cog in the wheel. No one every said that physicians still can't treat patients adequately.

If you don't like being an employed physician, open your own clinic.

Just stop, you have no knowledge of what you talk about. Opening your own clinic is exceptionally difficult and is getting even more difficult as our healthcare model is slowly moving away from this.

Medicine isn't a corrupt ****show.

Wrong again, and like I said before it isn't at the individual physician level most times, but have you ever seen the salaries of some of these healthcare administrators or insurance company leaders? They make physicians look like blind beggars. It's all about the bottom line.

Now, if there's something I didn't catch, even MORE subtle and compromising, then it certainly isn't my fault at this age for not seeing it.

Yes you are too young with literally zero functional experience. You only have opinions based on freaking YouTube and ER.... The thing is that it is ok you don't know, because you are a high school student. Just stop spouting nonsense based on media potrayals.

I'm looking back to @AnatomyGrey12's assertion that I should not participate in accelerated programs, and I'm still speechless. What part of non-binding is so difficult to understand?

Because I don't give a rip if it is non-binding. You don't know if this is what you will actually end up liking, he'll you may not end up even liking science. Because in this program you are essentially put right onto a science pre-requisite train without being able to truly get experience with other fields. Maybe you will really like accounting, finance, or engineering. In this program you don't have the freedom to explore because you you will have three years to essentially get done with all of the pre-reqs. Go to a normal undergrad, sniff around a bunch of different fields and then if you can't see yourself in anything else then go into medicine. Medical schools won't be going anywhere.

I mean this guy acts like he is a physician and knows the nuts and bolts of the medical world. Is he a pre-med like his tag indicates or not?

Yep I am technically still a pre-med. Currently sitting on 4 acceptances. My statements are all based on thousands of hours, and years of experience working in a large hospital in direct patient care working directly with doctors in a large variety of fields, shadowing multiple physicians in a broad variety of specialties, and having personal discussions with family friends and family members who are all physicians. You have tv shows and YouTube.....

The cases and medical diagnosis are definitely accurate, and, the show doesn't always filter out ethical gray area issues.

The terminology is correct. Other than that I would never trust a TV portrayal as anything accurate. Some are better than others, but none actually show the how it is with great accuracy.

Erratically, they consider young age a dealbreaker for speaking out in mature and complicated situations, and television shows on a certain career to be fully false and unrealistic.

Age really has nothing to do with it. It's the content of what you say that draws ire. But there definitely is a correlation between age and immature comments based on unfounded "realities". Also because tv shows are 90% false and unrealistic. Now seriously stop using them as "evidence" of your point, because it only continually shows that you really don't know much.

I read a post on here. One med student mentioned in a post '50%~ D.O.'s enter primary care'. Another user asks where that statistic came from. A physician comes in and says "his ass", and receives more than a dozen likes from pre-meds, med students, and other physicians. The 50% stat isn't actually that bizarre at all: nearly 60% of D.O.'s practice in primary care specialties

That poster said that 50% of DOs will be forced into primary care. Big difference. Yes DOs tend to practice more in primary care, but this has nothing to do with our discussion.

Then there's @michaelrack, who sees it acceptable to compromise for FM psych to satisfy the wife and parents' FM fetish, then finds it "hard to respect a doctor unless they have done a full medical/surgical/transitional internship year"

This is where you really need to stop because you have almost zero working knowledge of medical training. Do you know that FM residents essentially do a medical intern year? Because they do.... psychiatry residents generally don't. They have intern years but it is usually made up of neurology rotations, outpatient psychiatry, and a mix of other fields. It is not that similar to a FM residents intern year. I don't agree with that posters opinion but for different reasons.

If you persist to post things irrelevant to the thread topic, ignoring the Admin's direction to take off-topic posts elsewhere, I'm afraid you've dumbed yourself down to the point of "grow up" as well - lack of self-control.

I don't know what his age is specifically, but he didn't retort my claim that he was 22. I guess my claim is that I wouldn't marry anyone that hasn't obtained a solid job, or at least finished graduate school. It's not about how fitting the partner is for you, or how sure you are that they are the one. If you're loaded with debt and can't provide the family with a steady income yet, don't place a ring on someone else's finger. Nobody would dare - and he shouldn't, either.

But naturally, being a member of SDN who has been so vocal, I naturally assumed he was sane, and so dismissed his argument that he was married.

You, quite frankly, are an absolute child and know absolutely nothing about life and marriage. I am not 22, I have been married for 3 years, and I have kids. I worked all through undergrad to support my family all the while getting good enough grades to get into medical school, doing research, killing the MCAT, and doing all other various ECs I needed. On top of that I have had enough hours in my day to even spend quality time with my family. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a single thing. The idea that you have to wait until you or your SO have a meaningful career before getting married is downright laughable.

With this post are showing how childish and immature you are, almost everyone I know applying to medical school from my undergrad is married and has children. Our undergrad is frequently one of the top 10 producers of medical students, almost every year in fact. I work at a hospital where most of the doctors were married before medical school, some even had as many as 5 kids through medical school and residency.

The real world is going to eat you alive if you continue to have the attitude you have shown here, brace yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Also you never responded to the other post where I ripped your arguments to pieces, I'm curious to see what hole you decide to dig.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of letting him continue to ruin someone else's thread it is more appropriate to answer his posts here, in his own thread.

You, quite frankly, are an absolute child and know absolutely nothing about life and marriage. I am not 22, I have been married for 3 years, and I have kids. I worked all through undergrad to support my family all the while getting good enough grades to get into medical school, doing research, killing the MCAT, and doing all other various ECs I needed. On top of that I have had enough hours in my day to even spend quality time with my family. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a single thing. The idea that you have to wait until you or your SO have a meaningful career before getting married is downright laughable.

Similar story. Into my 4th year of marriage now and have a 2 year old and a 1 year old. Have a more-than full-time job in the military working on average 70 hours a week, but definitely pushed 100 while operational and especially on deployment.

I finished my undergrad just last year, taking a full load while working 80-100 hours per week, doing research, volunteering, deploying, and moving to the middle of the Pacific and back. My wife was super supportive because she knew it was all to get me to where I want to go, and if she hadn't been supportive, it wouldn't have worked.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I have to agree that doing a linked program, even if it is non-binding, seems like a good idea, but in practice probably still forces you into medicine. I'm glad I had the freedom to take classes in whatever I wanted, because it let me explore different fields. If I didn't have that opportunity, I wouldn't have discovered that I love math so much that I briefly considered doing that as a career instead of medicine. That's the kind of freedom you don't get in a program that forces you to cram a BS and prereqs into 3 years (assuming it's a 3+4 program--correct me if I'm wrong).

Instead of letting him continue to ruin someone else's thread it is more appropriate to answer his posts here, in his own thread.

Just joking around bud, no malice intended. I wouldn't mind some advice on how to balance things in terms of relationships/marraige while juggling everything. It seems like both you and @Matthew9Thirtyfive did that pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just joking around bud, no malice intended. I wouldn't mind some advice on how to balance things in terms or relationships/marraige while juggling everything. It seems like both you and @Matthew9Thirtyfive did that pretty well.

Oh no sorry I wasn't intending malice at you either, sorry if it came across that way. I was just adding context to the other posts.

Just joking around bud, no malice intended. I wouldn't mind some advice on how to balance things in terms or relationships/marraige while juggling everything. It seems like both you and @Matthew9Thirtyfive did that pretty well.

I can give you some examples of how we did things (and believe me, it's definitely we--without help from your spouse, it will be much more difficult, if not impractical).

When I was finishing my degree and I was on deployment, it obviously wasn't a big deal because I wasn't home anyway. But when I was actually home between operations, I made sure to carve out as much time to help around the house and spend time with the wife and kids as possible. During the week, my schedule looked something like this:

0430-0500: wake up (depends on when my older one wanted to wake up)
0500-0530: change older daughter and get her and myself breakfast while wife nurses youngest
0530-0600: drive to work
0600-1530: work
1530-1600: drive home and call mom, step-dad or sister to say hello since I don't see them very often and they like to get updates on what's going on; sometimes called wife to chat on the way home
1600-1830: family time and dinner
1830-1900: put kids to sleep
1900-2100: time with wife
2100-2200/2300: homework/study time/work on research project
2300: sleep

That obviously changed if we had an exam or something that had to be done. Also, once a week I am on duty and am at work for 30+ hours, so I typically didn't get homework or studying done those days unless it was slow.

Also, that schedule is different now that my degree is done and I'm in a non-operational status. I'm home by 1430 most days (except my duty days), and I go to sleep at the same time as my wife now.

On the weekends, I did no school work unless I absolutely had to. If my duty day was on the weekend, that typically means a slow day other than my actual watch, so I'd try to do the whole week's homework then.

I did most of my research at the end of my degree when I was just finishing up my general courses and had more time (also wasn't as operational and only worked about 66 hours per week). I also ramped up my volunteering at this time. So instead of homework and study time, I did an hour or two of research at night. I set up a partnership between my command and the org I volunteer with, so I get to do my volunteering during the work day.

The most important thing here is that I had dedicated time every single day to spend with my family. Even with that, my wife still complained sometimes that I couldn't come to bed until after she was already asleep, but some of that was just stress because we had 2 under 2 and lived in the middle of the ocean on an island where we didn't know anyone, and I was gone a lot.

So I sacrificed some sleep to make sure my family got as much time with me as possible and to make sure I was able to contribute to the housework at least a little. I cooked once or twice a week and took out the trash and recycling. I helped with laundry when I could. Those gestures made it easier for my wife to support me in all the other ways because she saw that I was still part of the team and not just the driver coming home to the pit crew.

If you were in my shoes, which program would you choose?

Neither. I would opt out of the BS/DO programs, pursue the traditional route, work hard, do really well in school/MCAT, develop strong and passionate ECs, and apply to (and hopefully matriculate at) US MD schools.

All very interesting responses. Let's test my rhetoric again.

No one ever a aid that doctors don't find fulfillment in their jobs, or are happy with their career decision in general. Medicine is very interesting, but it also comes with a ton of baggage. Go look at medacape surveys on physician satisfaction, you will be surprised. And yes actually healthcare does tread there frequently. Have you ever worked in a hospital? No. So you have no idea and are just spouting teenager altruistic nonsense. Healthcare is a business and is all about the bottom line, not at an individual physician level but on a corporate broad level it is all about the sweet $$$

I have. I mentioned in the other thread, that I've shadowed a doctor for a while. Nobody commits to medicine without reason. I also pointed out in the other thread that although in healthcare we sometimes tread into the zone where integrity is jeopardized, we don't too frequently. I don't think so. If you disagree with me on this section of our argument, then this is, unfortunately, settled.

Healthcare is about healing the patient integrally and comprehensively, and the work is definitely enjoyable and rewarding. Although we may spend as much as 1/3 of our time doing paperwork, it's meaningful and useful work. We need to file each case and organize it well, and make sure it's documented in the patient's history, so future physicians can see the most up-to-date status on the patient, and care for him/her more efficiently. How much this varies by will indeed also depends on the specialty you choose; I think the doctors you've shadowed yourself might've exemplified behavior that you might disapprove of, thus your grim outlook on healthcare. Medscape indicates that 30~45% of doctors in their chosen specialties are unsatisfied - well then, I'm in the 55~70% that'll enjoy what they do to a great extent. To consolidate this, I'll be choosing very carefully the specialty I select, making sure it really fits me.

Just stop, you have no knowledge of what you talk about. Opening your own clinic is exceptionally difficult and is getting even more difficult as our healthcare model is slowly moving away from this.

The cog in the wheel thing is really confusing me, and I can't get my head around what it's trying to convey. I'll leave that for now until I look further.

I believe starting a practice isn't "hard" if you know what you're doing? Do some research, and get help from current clinicians. If funds is what you're missing, contact the USSBA.

Yes you are too young with literally zero functional experience. You only have opinions based on freaking YouTube and ER.... The thing is that it is ok you don't know, because you are a high school student. Just stop spouting nonsense based on media potrayals.

That's not the case. I said in the other thread, that not only have I shadowed an ortho, I did extensive research. ER isn't a misrepresentation of an ER setting at all - there may be exaggerated drama, but the cases and diagnosis are definitely accurate and feasible. There's no dispute with that. I want to do something similar, without participating in the dysfunctional, melodram relationships.

Wrong again, and like I said before it isn't at the individual physician level most times, but have you ever seen the salaries of some of these healthcare administrators or insurance company leaders? They make physicians look like blind beggars. It's all about the bottom line.

That's why they're in the administration. They run the hospital, don't really do clinic hours, and employ you for the "labor". Accumulate enough funds and set up your clinic, or live with it. I won't complain as long as I get 150K as a starting salary, then make 200~350K annualy afterwards. That's definitely possible. Notwithstanding, you could practice as an Attending Physician for long enough, then request promotion to chief of staff. Demonstrate competence in business administration as CS, then you could go further still. Might stop you from the patient care you're meant to do, but if seven figures if what you're after, there's your path.

Because I don't give a rip if it is non-binding. You don't know if this is what you will actually end up liking, he'll you may not end up even liking science. Because in this program you are essentially put right onto a science pre-requisite train without being able to truly get experience with other fields. Maybe you will really like accounting, finance, or engineering. In this program you don't have the freedom to explore because you you will have three years to essentially get done with all of the pre-reqs. Go to a normal undergrad, sniff around a bunch of different fields and then if you can't see yourself in anything else then go into medicine. Medical schools won't be going anywhere.

Medicine is something I look forward to with excitement. Other careers don't melt my butter. That's why I applied to a BS/DO 7-year accelerated program; it'll direct me to the career I desire with less time and expenses. It's not binding for a reason - it permits a sense of safety and flexibility if I do decide to apply elsewhere, with my B.S.

Age really has nothing to do with it. It's the content of what you say that draws ire. But there definitely is a correlation between age and immature comments based on unfounded "realities". Also because tv shows are 90% false and unrealistic. Now seriously stop using them as "evidence" of your point, because it only continually shows that you really don't know much.
That poster said that 50% of DOs will be forced into primary care. Big difference. Yes DOs tend to practice more in primary care, but this has nothing to do with our discussion.

My first post on that thread was not personally directed. It might be sassy, but it offers direct, insistent, and most important, correct advice. We can debate on that if you so desire. If you found my words inappropriate or the content of my advice erroneous, let me know in a mature, non-contentious way; but your comment spurred my response: "One's age doesn't designate one's maturity or ability to be analytical and observative." The correlation you speak of has its exceptions.

Regarding the primary care thing. Indeed it has nothing to do with our argument, but not all text I said in that post is directed at you? It's my exasperated anecdote that the community can sometimes be unnecesarily critical and belittling.

This is where you really need to stop because you have almost zero working knowledge of medical training. Do you know that FM residents essentially do a medical intern year? Because they do.... psychiatry residents generally don't. They have intern years but it is usually made up of neurology rotations, outpatient psychiatry, and a mix of other fields. It is not that similar to a FM residents intern year. I don't agree with that posters opinion but for different reasons.

I can't really process that comment. He wanted the OP to compromise to the silly, irrational demands of a wife and two parents. The wife has a personal, sexual fetish for Family Physicians due to some nefarious soup opera, while the parents have certain misguided values. His comment is not acceptable, and is misleading the OP. Michael also mentioned directly that he has trouble paying equivalent respect to psychiatrists, than to other doctors. That's just discriminatory, and again, very misleading for the OP.

With this post are showing how childish and immature you are, almost everyone I know applying to medical school from my undergrad is married and has children. Our undergrad is frequently one of the top 10 producers of medical students, almost every year in fact. I work at a hospital where most of the doctors were married before medical school, some even had as many as 5 kids through medical school and residency.

The real world is going to eat you alive if you continue to have the attitude you have shown here, brace yourself.

I made a mistake, in assuming you are not married, have no children, and was lying. Nevertheless, you did make a "correlation" that lead you to comment - I should not offer my opinion and advice due to my reported age. And you, being one of the pre-med, usually pressed with student loans and unable to obtain an appreciable income required to sustain a family, lead me to believe you are not married(and the kids part). Therefore, I'd say I made a reasonable, albeit biased and wrongful, claim. If I were you, I would definitely do things differently. Without the burden of marriage and children, you would be able to graduate sooner, matriculate into medical school with less time and expenses, and divebomb into a well-salaried residency. That should be everyone's(pre-med's) priority. I could inquire all the pre-meds in the states, and at 99%(or more) of them would respond that they would not invest in marriage and parenthood while an yet-to-graduate undergraduate.

You can have a stable relationship without having to marry. I wouldn't guarantee my SO that I'd be able to support her and our children without that degree at my hands. If you end up failing the rigorous, intensive M1 year, or after two years, unsuccessfully take the COMLEX, things will turn sorely grim.

"almost everyone I know applying to medical school from my undergrad is married and has children"

You can't expect anyone to believe this.

I have. I mentioned in the other thread, that I've shadowed a doctor for a while. Nobody commits to medicine without reason. I also pointed out in the other thread that although in healthcare we sometimes tread into the zone where integrity is jeopardized, we don't too frequently. I don't think so. If you disagree with me on this section of our argument, then this is, unfortunately, settled.

Healthcare is about healing the patient integrally and comprehensively, and the work is definitely enjoyable and rewarding. Although we may spend as much as 1/3 of our time doing paperwork, it's meaningful and useful work. We need to file each case and organize it well, and make sure it's documented in the patient's history, so future physicians can see the most up-to-date status on the patient, and care for him/her more efficiently. How much this varies by will indeed also depends on the specialty you choose; I think the doctors you've shadowed yourself might've exemplified behavior that you might disapprove of, thus your grim outlook on healthcare. Medscape indicates that 30~45% of doctors in their chosen specialties are unsatisfied - well then, I'm in the 55~70% that'll enjoy what they do to a great extent. To consolidate this, I'll be choosing very carefully the specialty I select, making sure it really fits me.

The cog in the wheel thing is really confusing me, and I can't get my head around what it's trying to convey. I'll leave that for now until I look further.

I believe starting a practice isn't "hard" if you know what you're doing? Do some research, and get help from current clinicians. If funds is what you're missing, contact the USSBA.

That's not the case. I said in the other thread, that not only have I shadowed an ortho, I did extensive research. ER isn't a misrepresentation of an ER setting at all - there may be exaggerated drama, but the cases and diagnosis are definitely accurate and feasible. There's no dispute with that. I want to do something similar, without participating in the dysfunctional, melodram relationships.

That's why they're in the administration. They run the hospital, don't really do clinic hours, and employ you for the "labor". Accumulate enough funds and set up your clinic, or live with it. I won't complain as long as I get 150K as a starting salary, then make 200~350K annualy afterwards. That's definitely possible. Notwithstanding, you could practice as an Attending Physician for long enough, then request promotion to chief of staff. Demonstrate competence in business administration as CS, then you could go further still. Might stop you from the patient care you're meant to do, but if seven figures if what you're after, there's your path.

Medicine is something I look forward to with excitement. Other careers don't melt my butter. That's why I applied to a BS/DO 7-year accelerated program; it'll direct me to the career I desire with less time and expenses. It's not binding for a reason - it permits a sense of safety and flexibility if I do decide to apply elsewhere, with my B.S.

My first post on that thread was not personally directed. It might be sassy, but it offers direct, insistent, and most important, correct advice. We can debate on that if you so desire. If you found my words inappropriate or the content of my advice erroneous, let me know in a mature, non-contentious way; but your comment spurred my response: "One's age doesn't designate one's maturity or ability to be analytical and observative." The correlation you speak of has its exceptions.

Regarding the primary care thing. Indeed it has nothing to do with our argument, but not all text I said in that post is directed at you? It's my exasperated anecdote that the community can sometimes be unnecesarily critical and belittling.

I can't really process that comment. He wanted the OP to compromise to the silly, irrational demands of a wife and two parents. The wife has a personal, sexual fetish for Family Physicians due to some nefarious soup opera, while the parents have certain misguided values. His comment is not acceptable, and is misleading the OP. Michael also mentioned directly that he has trouble paying equivalent respect to psychiatrists, than to other doctors. That's just discriminatory, and again, very misleading for the OP.

I made a mistake, in assuming you are not married, have no children, and was lying. Nevertheless, you did make a "correlation" that lead you to comment - I should not offer my opinion and advice due to my reported age. And you, being one of the pre-med, usually pressed with student loans and unable to obtain an appreciable income required to sustain a family, lead me to believe you are not married(and the kids part). Therefore, I'd say I made a reasonable, albeit biased and wrongful, claim. If I were you, I would definitely do things differently. Without the burden of marriage and children, you would be able to graduate sooner, matriculate into medical school with less time and expenses, and divebomb into a well-salaried residency. That should be everyone's(pre-med's) priority. I could inquire all the pre-meds in the states, and at 99%(or more) of them would respond that they would not invest in marriage and parenthood while an yet-to-graduate undergraduate.

You can have a stable relationship without having to marry. I wouldn't guarantee my SO that I'd be able to support her and our children without that degree at my hands. If you end up failing the rigorous, intensive M1 year, or after two years, unsuccessfully take the COMLEX, things will turn sorely grim.

"almost everyone I know applying to medical school from my undergrad is married and has children"

You can't expect anyone to believe this.

I don't even know where begin with this as it is full of straw man arguments and based on literally no evidence, you live in a fantasy world. All I will say, like I said before, brace yourself because the real world is coming and it's a long fall down from your fantasy to reality.

Also yes I do expect you to believe it because it is true. I go to an undergrad where over half the student body is married.

Once again, I would suggest never commenting on things you know nothing about and have no experience with.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't misunderstand @AnatomyGrey12. He isn't saying physicians frequently tread into that territory, but administrators and the like do. I've been working in healthcare for 15 years, and I can tell you that the suits care about the bottom line. It's a necessary evil, since a closed hospital can help no one, but they go to the extreme sometimes. I've personally seen occasions where their decisions made it more difficult to provide proper care in the name of money.

Healthcare is about healing the patient integrally and comprehensively, and the work is definitely enjoyable and rewarding. Although we may spend as much as 1/3 of our time doing paperwork, it's meaningful and useful work. We need to file each case and organize it well, and make sure it's documented in the patient's history, so future physicians can see the most up-to-date status on the patient, and care for him/her more efficiently.

You are a high school student who has never had a job in healthcare. How do you know the work is definitely enjoyable and rewarding? Have you treated patients? No. When we open up for sick call and have 12 patients in two hours, 8 of which are malingerers trying to get sent home SIQ so they can get out of work or who are trying to just hang out in medical for 30 minutes so they don't have to work, it is not rewarding or enjoyable. It is frustrating and annoying, because we could be getting paperwork done that actually needs to be done, like notes or orders for patients with actual problems. When you have patients who refuse to quit smoking even though you've amputated their forefoot, their whole foot, their lower leg, and then finally the rest of their leg and you're telling them that they will literally die if they don't quit, and then they lie to your face each time saying they will quit smoking only to be back in a couple weeks with tissue necrosis, it is not rewarding. It is frustrating and annoying.

It's also frustrating and annoying when someone comes to see you and they think they know better than you what they need. That's really annoying.

Yes, when someone comes in because he feels kind of yucky and has a weird red line on his leg and you can actually help him with his cellulitis and superficial thrombophlebitis, or when you can get to the bottom of someone's new onset headaches, or when someone gets injured and you can stitch them up or get a pulse back after a shock, it is definitely enjoyable and rewarding. But for a lot of physicians, the crazy stuff is not the bread and butter. You have to be able to find enjoyment in the boring stuff like GAS pharyngitis and VGE. But don't underestimate how many malingerers and annoying patients you will have to deal with to get the good stuff.

Also, don't say we. You're a high school student. You don't participate in anyone's care. That's like if I were to say, "We just discovered that overactive brain growth in the first year of life is highly predictive of an autism diagnosis at 24 months (awesome study that does awesome things for the MMR vaccine btw)!" I read the study. I didn't participate in the research.

How much this varies by will indeed also depends on the specialty you choose; I think the doctors you've shadowed yourself might've exemplified behavior that you might disapprove of, thus your grim outlook on healthcare. Medscape indicates that 30~45% of doctors in their chosen specialties are unsatisfied - well then, I'm in the 55~70% that'll enjoy what they do to a great extent. To consolidate this, I'll be choosing very carefully the specialty I select, making sure it really fits me.

Definitely keep your options open if medicine is what you ultimately decide to do. Don't chase prestige or money, because you won't end up happy if the specialty is boring or frustrating to you.

A cog in the wheel refers to someone who is just a small part of a greater system. That's the physician. Doctors are just cogs in the US Healthcare System. Doesn't make them unimportant, but it does mean that it's hard to change anything when you're just a small part.

This is so simplified and inaccurate, it's almost hilarious. It's not as simple as hanging a shingle anymore. Our healthcare system is moving away from this sort of model. DPC is an option that some people are making work, but it is NOT easy.

1. Shadowing an orthopod is not representative of most doctors. Ortho is an incredibly competitive specialty that is its own beast. There's a reason most med schools prefer to see some primary care shadowing.

2. The show ER is definitely a misrepresentation of the ED. Most EM physicians see mostly primary care complaints, just at ridiculous hours and often in difficult patients who are going to the ED instead of a PCP for a reason. Slapping the pads on and yelling "CLEAR!" before you bring back a father of two is not an every day occurrence for most docs. I haven't watched a ton of the series, but I do remember loving it until I got into medicine, and then thinking it was hilarious.

If you want a show that is pretty accurate at least when it comes to the stuff that you deal with in residency and the stuff doctors go through, Scrubs is way better. It is a little exaggerated, and some of the actual medicine is off, but it is a great show. Funny too.

I don't know what world you live in, but wow. You really have no clue what goes into any of these things. You don't simply "accumulate enough funds and set up your clinic." And I'm not sure what specialty you're going into starting out at 150k and then jumping to 200-350k immediately after.

Just, wow.

1. You don't know if anything else melt your butter. You're in high school and haven't experienced anything else. You also don't have the flexibility you think you do, since you have to get all the prereqs and BS requirements done in 3 years now, instead of 4, which means you can't explore other options. That's a big negative for those combined programs. You might find something you love more than medicine.

2. You also don't know if medicine is your calling, as you have no experience in it except for a little bit of shadowing. I didn't know medicine was absolutely for me until the first time I scrubbed in and found myself elbow-deep in some old dude. Even then, I still was juggling between MD and PA. It wasn't until the military where I got to treat patients independently and use EBM that I realized there was no way PA would be satisfying for me.

Your first post was not correct. You gave advice on a subject you are even more inexperienced with than medicine. A single high school student is not equipped to give advice on marriage. Period.

I made a mistake, in assuming you are not married, have no children, and was lying. Nevertheless, you did make a "correlation" that lead you to comment - I should not offer my opinion and advice due to my reported age. And you, being one of the pre-med, usually pressed with student loans and unable to obtain an appreciable income required to sustain a family, lead me to believe you are not married(and the kids part).

Again, you're making assumptions. You don't know what someone's situation is on the internet. Just because he's an undergrad doesn't mean he has crushing debt and no job. However, because you are still a teenager with no marital experience, you definitely are not in a position to give marriage advice.

Therefore, I'd say I made a reasonable, albeit biased and wrongful, claim. If I were you, I would definitely do things differently. Without the burden of marriage and children, you would be able to graduate sooner, matriculate into medical school with less time and expenses, and divebomb into a well-salaried residency. That should be everyone's(pre-med's) priority. I could inquire all the pre-meds in the states, and at 99%(or more) of them would respond that they would not invest in marriage and parenthood while an yet-to-graduate undergraduate.

No, you didn't. Also, marriage is not a burden. It takes effort, but it is not a burden. I did much better in school despite working ridiculous hours and getting basically no sleep for 2 years because I was married. Having that support structure is amazing. Additionally, not everyone's priority is their pre-med/med school path. You will understand that when you grow up, or you'll be perpetually single or an absent husband and father.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't even know where begin with this as it is full of straw man arguments and based on literally no evidence, you live in a fantasy world. All I will say, like I said before, brace yourself because the real world is coming and it's a long fall down from your fantasy to reality.

Also yes I do expect you to believe it because it is true. I go to an undergrad where over half the student body is married.

Once again, I would suggest never commenting on things you know nothing about and have no experience with.

All of my stated points are consistent, AnatomyGrey12. I could cite as many logical fallacies in your own arguments if I'm motivated enough to study the structure of your points.

The qualification to comment thing. I stated something over on the other thread.

All of my stated points are consistent, AnatomyGrey12. I could cite as many logical fallacies in your own arguments if I'm motivated enough to study the structure of your points.

The qualification to comment thing. I stated something over on the other thread.

You are in high school. End of story. Just stop you have zero idea of what you're talking about and frankly it's insulting to the rest of us the way you act like you do. You may have done a lot of shadowing and have a good deal of experience for a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, but not the average 22+ year old that has spent 4-10 years gaining experience. Sorry you need to bite the bullet and realize you stepped over the line.

Reactions: 3 users
You are in high school. End of story. Just stop you have zero idea of what you're talking about and frankly it's insulting to the rest of us the way you act like you do. You may have done a lot of shadowing and have a good deal of experience for a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, but not the average 22+ year old that has spent 4-10 years gaining experience. Sorry you need to bite the bullet and realize you stepped over the line.

Hm.

I'll definitely accept that to the fullest, if something's wrong with my argument. About the marriage issue. Otherwise, being unqualified to offer an opinion due to younger age is an terrible point to try and make sense of.

But about the details in the clinic and the medical world, I definitely overstepped that in posting inaccurate personal anecdotes. Matthew was also calm and composed, and was careful with the detail he put in his points. That definitely worked better than arguing with Grey's Anatomy episode 12.

I can give you some examples of how we did things (and believe me, it's definitely we--without help from your spouse, it will be much more difficult, if not impractical).

When I was finishing my degree and I was on deployment, it obviously wasn't a big deal because I wasn't home anyway. But when I was actually home between operations, I made sure to carve out as much time to help around the house and spend time with the wife and kids as possible. During the week, my schedule looked something like this:

0430-0500: wake up (depends on when my older one wanted to wake up)
0500-0530: change older daughter and get her and myself breakfast while wife nurses youngest
0530-0600: drive to work
0600-1530: work
1530-1600: drive home and call mom, step-dad or sister to say hello since I don't see them very often and they like to get updates on what's going on; sometimes called wife to chat on the way home
1600-1830: family time and dinner
1830-1900: put kids to sleep
1900-2100: time with wife
2100-2200/2300: homework/study time/work on research project
2300: sleep

That obviously changed if we had an exam or something that had to be done. Also, once a week I am on duty and am at work for 30+ hours, so I typically didn't get homework or studying done those days unless it was slow.

Also, that schedule is different now that my degree is done and I'm in a non-operational status. I'm home by 1430 most days (except my duty days), and I go to sleep at the same time as my wife now.

On the weekends, I did no school work unless I absolutely had to. If my duty day was on the weekend, that typically means a slow day other than my actual watch, so I'd try to do the whole week's homework then.

I did most of my research at the end of my degree when I was just finishing up my general courses and had more time (also wasn't as operational and only worked about 66 hours per week). I also ramped up my volunteering at this time. So instead of homework and study time, I did an hour or two of research at night. I set up a partnership between my command and the org I volunteer with, so I get to do my volunteering during the work day.

The most important thing here is that I had dedicated time every single day to spend with my family. Even with that, my wife still complained sometimes that I couldn't come to bed until after she was already asleep, but some of that was just stress because we had 2 under 2 and lived in the middle of the ocean on an island where we didn't know anyone, and I was gone a lot.

So I sacrificed some sleep to make sure my family got as much time with me as possible and to make sure I was able to contribute to the housework at least a little. I cooked once or twice a week and took out the trash and recycling. I helped with laundry when I could. Those gestures made it easier for my wife to support me in all the other ways because she saw that I was still part of the team and not just the driver coming home to the pit crew.

Wow thanks for elaborating on that. Learned quite a bit and hope I can apply it as effectively as you did. I definitely agree with carving out time daily for family. It's tough though cause I personally have no idea what type of beating I'm in for this upcoming fall in medical school lol. I guess I'll just have to adapt when the time comes.

So @LordLana seeing as you are so confident and knowledgeable I would like you to state your credentials to be making any of these statements, because everyone knows that any good argument is backed up by some evidence that you know what you are talking about.

Wow thanks for elaborating on that. Learned quite a bit and hope I can apply it as effectively as you did. I definitely agree with carving out time daily for family. It's tough though cause I personally have no idea what type of beating I'm in for this upcoming fall in medical school lol. I guess I'll just have to adapt when the time comes.

Yeah it all essentially comes down to very good planning time management, and a supportive spouse who knows you will be gone a lot and what it means to be going into medicine. And trust, lots of trust

So @LordLana seeing as you are so confident and knowledgeable I would like you to state your credentials to be making any of these statements, because everyone knows that any good argument is backed up by some evidence that you know what you are talking about.

Requesting that also calls for you to cite yours, Grey. Are you prepared?

But that's not why I made my last response. Go ahead and quote my first post on the marriage thread, and explain to me why it's faulty.

Otherwise, the age claim several of you are attempting to make sense of, doesn't hold.

Requesting that also calls for you to cite yours, Grey. Are you prepared?

But that's not why I made my last response. Go ahead and quote my first post on the marriage thread, and explain to me why it's faulty.

Otherwise, the age claim several of you are attempting to make sense of, doesn't hold.

How about because there is a certain stigma on psychiatrists? Also, your assertion that it's due to some fettish in regards to a family doctor has no basis. Ever thought about maybe she wants him to go into family practice because the hours are much better with regards to raising a family? Hence where your inexperience is coming into play.

Also, have you ever seen the student body of most medical schools? If not then I'll help you out. A fair portion of them are married either with kids or without kids, others have kids and aren't married. Just because YOU don't like the idea of going to medical school married with a family doesn't mean it isn't a common occurrence.

Feel free to pm me if you ever have questions about anything.

Oh I'm ready, because I actually have some.

Let's just start with what rams said.

How about because there is a certain stigma on psychiatrists? Also, your assertion that it's due to some fettish in regards to a family doctor has no basis. Ever thought about maybe she wants him to go into family practice because the hours are much better with regards to raising a family? Hence where your inexperience is coming into play.

I don't want to argue further because Matthew is here. He seems like a genuinely rational person and might be attractive (navy dude).

The fetish issue is already regarded by another poster, and then acknowledged by the original poster. Even if the fetish isn't the real issue, the bias is absolutely wrongful. The point "more flexible hours with regards to raising a family" is a very non-impugning issue that can be freely addressed. If this was what the wife had in mind, she would've conveyed it, and the OP would've cited it. Instead, the wife chose to tell him "she wouldn't be attracted to him any longer."

Again, there is no fallacy in my initial post on the other thread. I'm waiting on the inexpr

NSU fam, private uni with research opportunities and great location. You can actually have a college experience as well

I don't want to argue further because Matthew is here. He seems like a genuinely rational person and might be attractive (navy dude).

I just want to point out that I have lots of guns and know how to use them should you make an unplanned visit to my house. ;)