Left a phd program and wish to pursue medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legendberry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First of, this forum has been a massive help in understanding the premed process, and I can't thank you guys enough for the amount of information you have shared.

My question is how beneficial would it be to complete a HES post-bac, return to my program, complete a MS, then apply for medical school vs. completing the HES post-bac and simply applying for the cycle? The difference between the two would be that I am delaying my applications an additional 2 years (apart from a estimated 2 years at HES).

From what I've read on the forum, leaving a PhD program seems extremely detrimental to MD admissions (especially without letters), but the situation can be somewhat salvageable if one were to receive their MS in lieu of the PhD.

But more about me: I graduated my undergraduate with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a 3.62 GPA. Immediately afterwards, I matriculated into a PhD program in Bioengineering (MechE subfocus) and withdrew after one semester. Shortly following, I found a job in my field (engineer in the medical device industry) and started a full-time position back in June. I plan to work full-time for as long as I can before the application cycle. In my spare time, I am volunteering (both clinical and non-clinical) and plan to take classes sometime next year at HES.

In regards to readmission to my program and changing my degree type, there are no issues here, except that I would need to relocate.

I appreciate every feedback or advice you have for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps an adcom can chime in here, but I don't see the need for you to go back to get the MS. You went directly to PhD, saw within a semester that you didn't like research, quit, found a job, and will be working for a couple of years before med school, right? That's not nearly as bad as quitting the PhD in year 4 or so. You will have to find ways to convince the med schools that you know what you are getting yourself into with med school so that you won't quit that as well. You can do that through gaining as much clinical volunteering and shadowing as possible and being able to describe why medicine is a good fit for you. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have the pre-reqs for med school? What's your UG GPAs??

I don't think an MS is really needed unless you want to have something to fall back on in case you decide that Medicine isn't for you.

Hello Everyone,

First of, this forum has been a massive help in understanding the premed process, and I can't thank you guys enough for the amount of information you have shared.

My question is how beneficial would it be to complete a HES post-bac, return to my program, complete a MS, then apply for medical school vs. completing the HES post-bac and simply applying for the cycle? The difference between the two would be that I am delaying my applications an additional 2 years (apart from a estimated 2 years at HES).

From what I've read on the forum, leaving a PhD program seems extremely detrimental to MD admissions (especially without letters), but the situation can be somewhat salvageable if one were to receive their MS in lieu of the PhD.

But more about me: I graduated my undergraduate with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a 3.62 GPA. Immediately afterwards, I matriculated into a PhD program in Bioengineering (MechE subfocus) and withdrew after one semester. Shortly following, I found a job in my field (engineer in the medical device industry) and started a full-time position back in June. I plan to work full-time for as long as I can before the application cycle. In my spare time, I am volunteering (both clinical and non-clinical) and plan to take classes sometime next year at HES.

In regards to readmission to my program and changing my degree type, there are no issues here, except that I would need to relocate.

I appreciate every feedback or advice you have for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the pre-reqs for med school? What's your UG GPAs??

I don't think an MS is really needed unless you want to have something to fall back on in case you decide that Medicine isn't for you.

Hi Goro, thanks for the reply. My undergraduate GPA is a 3.62. The MS in question would only be to show that I can commit to completing what I started (sort of). From what I've read, it may come up as a big red flag. Regarding my current job, it would have minimal impact on my career growth but it would always be nice to have of course.

To gyrfalcon: Thank you for your reply! I would of course like to position myself the best I can for admissions, but I'm not even entirely convinced myself that I will be able to convince medical schools of my commitment to medicine with only ~2 years of preparation. If two more years for an MS would increase my chances by a substantial amount, I would definitely consider doing so. Reading your comment might save me a few years.

My 2 cents on the matter...

I am a PhDud (left with my masters after 2 years) and was just accepted to an MD program. I applied to medical school with a positive letter from my PI and another professor from my graduate program.

In my interviews thus far, no one has given me a difficult time about leaving my program. Several people were actually impressed that I decided it was not the correct path for me and took action to make changes in my life.

My advice is to make sure your application shows that you left on a high note. A MS is likely not required for this, but you may need at least one letter of recommendation from your program as well as an appropriate set of post-graduate school activities that show your interest and commitment to medicine. You do not want to come across as flighty.

Then again, if you were only there for 1 semester, I'm not sure you could even get a good enough letter? So you may be OK there.

Ha! I like that, me too lol. I left after my semester though, would it be better to just to not mention it anywhere?
You will have to report that coursework on AMCAS, so you don't get to pick and choose. That being said, I don't think it makes sense to go back to grad school if you left after one semester. The people who are a few years into their PhD programs when they decide to quit, those are the ones who ought to see if they can leave with an MS. That's definitely not the OP's situation.

OP, if you're sure about med school, then you should do your post bac and go on from there. Make sure you're getting relevant clinical experience throughout the next two years to help explain the change of careers and also to give yourself some understanding of medicine as a career. Best of luck. :)