Left handed On MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigijay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am concerned that the dry erase board provided will smear on test day. How was it for any of you lefties that have already taken the MCAT? Did you practice with a dry erase board in advance or would you recommend it?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember (although I am a righty), the marker + board that I got did not smear when I wrote on the pages. In fact, I don't recall it erasing or smearing.

Reactions: 1 user
i am a lefty and just wrote.... cliff notes: yes, it's a problem. not sure if it's huge but i'd say it's substantial

i don't know the key differences between wet and dry erase other than one is "wet", the other is "dry" (i was inspired by trump's "the hurricane will be very wet. with alot of water) comment... EDIT: basically don't know diff between wet/dry and smearing. i would have thought opposite as to earlier poster.

anyway, you could erase stuff......... i would be moderately concerned about left hand erasing stuff. but it's not that bad.

where i did have a problem is that i found it didn't write that well after awhile. not sure if that was humidity, sweat or some combination from my perhaps intentionally erasing with my hand (not sure why i did this). or perhaps my hand touching unintentionally (which is the point of your question)

pen and paper would be so much BETTER........ i'd be willing to pay a surcharge as they obviously supply pen and paper... honestly, if i write again, i might even bring this up beforehand. they must accomodate all kinds of i brought it up in the post-exam comments. why not lefthandedness? but perhaps make paper avail to all

Members don't see this ad :)
I am concerned that the dry erase board provided will smear on test day. How was it for any of you lefties that have already taken the MCAT? Did you practice with a dry erase board in advance or would you recommend it?
They will not smear. You'll be fine...

while i don't think the pad worked that well, i tend to agree that you may not use the pad that much......... i used it to diagram some experiments they described. and i would have used it to tag questions (with basic description) for further review. maybe jot down a key word or two from question so i could focus on something other than computer screen.

i should add that it doesn't really smudge unless you make an effort to erase i.e. rub it with your finger......... but i did find that it didn't write that well after awhile. and i was too mentally lazy to ask for another one.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine definitely smeared, but the only section I used it on a ton was cars because I physically outlined. The other sections, I used like a page and a half total at the very most. It’s really not a huge deal because you’re not writing a ton, and I honestly didn’t use what I wrote very much. It was just a way to focus on the main idea of what I was reading.

given it more thought now...

basically fine for writing down stuff you use right at that moment, like diagramming an experiment or writing down key words........ BUT, i think if you write down that question #17 was amino acids and it was tricky, that info will invariably smudge before you get back to it.

you can highlight Q's to come back to on the computer but it would be nice to have a little note appended, like a few words as to what it was.

and don't erase stuff by hand. that will work but then you'll have sweat on the board.... don't be shy about asking for a new board.... for whatever reason ("anxiety", "you're not supposed to", "don't want to flip through the boards"), it is very tempting to erase stuff by hand. DON'T