Left residency to take care of sick mother when father lost job. Should I re-apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDOhGeez

Reaction score
So, like the title says, my life kind of blew up last year. I left my residency in March 2018 due to my mother becoming progressively ill and my father losing his job in a short period of time. I worked for a few months as a PRN staff pharmacist in order to save money up to go home and take care of my mother once my father found a new job. My license took a couple of months to process due to the state police messing up mailing my background check three times. I wouldn't have changed anything about what I did, because it helped to quicken the recovery of my mother and give her the support she needed.

I am currently looking for a job, and have a few bites. Nothing really clinical has come up, so it has been a couple of staffing positions in hospitals. I am interested in ID and crit care, and I know it will be difficult to find a position without the additional training just due to the number of applications I have sent vs interviews I have received.

The big question is: Do I go back and start over?

Edit: I did take some master's classes during the last year in science just to have something else that I was doing besides taking care of my mom.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear that happened, but glad that it ended up working out.

I actually know someone who had a similar set of circumstances. She ended up repeating her residency with the same hospital as they were well aware of her circumstances. She then continued onto a full-time position with them for awhile. She loathed the time in her residency.

Are any of these staffing positions full-time? If so, I'd recommend just continuing those jobs until a position opens up. Unless management states that a residency is absolutely mandatory, you would be a prime candidate since you're already in the system. Whenever there's a callout or shift vacancy for the position you would like, ask to fill in for the position so you can both get the experience and so management knows you can perform the job.