Legality of Immunizations in CA Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IndpdtPharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am having a bit of trouble finding information regarding a pharmacists legal ability to immunize in CA. I've searched other threads and looked @ the CDC/APhA websites, but nothing specifically states what pharmacists are legally allowed to do regarding immunizations.

Does anyone know of a PDF or an online resource that provides this info?

I'm looking for what immunizations pharmacists are allowed to give, what authorizations do pharmacists need to provide vaccinations, age limits, etc. in CA.

Thanks
 
I am having a bit of trouble finding information regarding a pharmacists legal ability to immunize in CA. I've searched other threads and looked @ the CDC/APhA websites, but nothing specifically states what pharmacists are legally allowed to do regarding immunizations.

Does anyone know of a PDF or an online resource that provides this info?

I'm looking for what immunizations pharmacists are allowed to give, what authorizations do pharmacists need to provide vaccinations, age limits, etc. in CA.

Thanks

Have you checked the state board of pharmacy website or the business and professions code related to pharmacy practice?

I know the pharmacists in our travel clinic give Yellow Fever, Japanese encephalitis, Meningococcal, Tdap, Polio, Havrix, and Hep B. Oh, and the standard flu shot. We also give Flu and Zostavax as part of our normal outpatient pharmacy. We have protocols with both student health MD and Family practice MD.