1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

"Less competitve" programs

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by txdoc2b, May 6, 2004.

1. txdoc2b

txdoc2b Member
    7+ Year Member

hi, I am an MSIII interested in Anesthesia. I am a little worried about my chances and but I am in really well with the dept. at my school, so I know my best chance of getting in is at my home school. MY question is can anyone clue me in on some programs that would be considered "less competitve" than others, mostly so I can apply to them as back-up schools. I hear lots of talk on these boards about the really competitve programs, but I would like to know good schools to apply to as "back-up". Any advice would be excellent!!
    :thumbup:
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 2ndyear

2ndyear Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi,
    It's good to be thinking about applying to multiple programs. I met two people on the interview trail who ONLY ranked their home programs, both were told "we're ranking you #1, you're in", etc. Both were interviewing during their intern year because things didn't work out. I think it would be helpful though to specify a general region of the country and what general environment (ie city vs. not) you are looking for. I can name a few midwest programs that are less competitive, but if you have no interest in being in the midwest then it's pretty futile.

4. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with the above poster. Apply to a broad range of programs, you will be surprised at the interviews that you get. Programs that have been maligned at various times on these forums include Arkansas, Westchester, LSU-Shreveport among others. Some of this is due to geography, some is due to recent probations. try doing a search.

5. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the above. Apply broadly wherever you are willing to go. You never know how things will work out. You could very well end up at a program better than your home program....

6. Tollway

Tollway Member
    7+ Year Member

Which school are you at in Texas?? I went to Tech. Doing Gas at Baylor.

7. txdoc2b

txdoc2b Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the advice so far. I am currently at UTMB- Galveston. I would prefer to be somewhere close to here (south) but if anyone knows of any other programs considered less competitive anywhere, I would appriciate the advice...because I would rather be somewhere than nowhere!

8. UTSouthwestern

UTSouthwestern 1K Member
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

You're at a great program for gas. Keep plugging away there and hope that Don Prough notices.

Tollway, I met your future chairman last week in Seattle, Lydia Conlay. Very nice lady with more degrees than any human being should be allowed to apply for. :D Good presentation on ambulatory anesthesia.

9. gaslady

gaslady Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You really should get an advisor and get advice from them about your chances for various programs. You will be doing yourself such a disservice if you don't apply to a range of programs. the interview process itself is very educating. Anesthesia has gotten more competitive, however I think the hype can be more than reality in some cases. Top programs are competitive, but a mediocre US grad without major red flags can match at a good program.

10. Tollway

Tollway Member
    7+ Year Member

UTSW- Yeah, she is a great lady (what I know of her so far). She has a degree from MIT :eek: . Johnson isn't a slouch either :)

11. utlonghorn50

utlonghorn50 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am also a Texas medical student. I was wondering if anyone knows what step I score is needed to be comp. at programs like UTMB, A&M (scott & white) and UTSW. Thanks for the help. I have asked this question before and not gotten any responses so maybe today will be my lucky day!

12. UTSouthwestern

UTSouthwestern 1K Member
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow Longhorn, at UTSW I'd say that there isn't a hard cutoff point but you would have to have other strong personal traits to be considered with board score below 215-220. Again, no hard cutoffs, but I know that the admissions committee had to make some hard choices.

Tollway, say hello to Nicholas Vuong at Baylor. He is someone who could help you with your transition from IM to gas at Baylor.