Less Expensive medical schools preferably in Midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm getting ready to apply to medical schools, I'm looking for schools that aren't extremely expensive, have extremely expensive housing rates, and have a good reputation. I live in Wisconsin and wasn't sure if what the requirements were to receive in-state tuition for the state schools. Is it worth looking into for the state Schools?

I primarily want to stay in Midwest unless I can find a school that is relatively inexpensive compared to other schools.

Here are the schools I'm interested in:

UW Madison
MCW all 3 extensions

Any other schools that are inexpensive compared to others? Also schools that give out a lot of scholarships

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Cheap
2) Medical School

Choose one.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get yourself acceess to the MSAR. Best money you'll spend in this whole process. That will give you info on the schools that don't matriculate many OOS (out of state) applicants and how much the tuition is for OOS students.

Score >520 on the MCAT. That will make you more attractive to the schools that are likely to give scholarships. Some of the big private schools will be more affordable than some state schools after you factor in scholarships which is something you won't know about until you have an offer from the school.

Also, in case no one has told you this yet, you are likely to need 15-25 schools on your application list. Don't apply to 4 schools in Wisconsin and call it a day.

Reactions: 3 users
State schools are going to be your best bet.

Some Public schools allow you to transition from OOS to IS tuition after a year. But the issue there is more that you need to fit the mission of that school (aka have some sort of connection to that state).

Get yourself acceess to the MSAR. Best money you'll spend in this whole process. That will give you info on the schools that don't matriculate many OOS (out of state) applicants and how much the tuition is for OOS students.

Score >520 on the MCAT. That will make you more attractive to the schools that are likely to give scholarships. Some of the big private schools will be more affordable than some state schools after you factor in scholarships which is something you won't know about until you have an offer from the school.

Also, in case no one has told you this yet, you are likely to need 15-25 schools on your application list. Don't apply to 4 schools in Wisconsin and call it a day.

Getting above a 520 is gonna be super hard. I'll do my best though

Cheapest/Most affordable medical schools:

1) Any school that offers you a full ride or provides you a pathway for loan forgiveness
2) Texas schools (w/TX residency)
3) Your state schools with IS residency

Reactions: 1 user
Ohio State is a top25 school, midwest, and gives you in-state tuition after 1 year. Also they accept a large proportion of out-of-state applicants. Sounds like it fits your bill pretty well.

Ohio State is a top25 school, midwest, and gives you in-state tuition after 1 year. Also they accept a large proportion of out-of-state applicants. Sounds like it fits your bill pretty well.
I gotta do well on my MCAT and I should be set.

Also would appreciate schools with recorded lectures because I just don't like sitting in class as day. I prefer standing.

Technically not top25, though it’s close, if you’re using USNWR as your marker which most people do. Yes it’s flawed, but when people site “ranking” this is what they’re using

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Technically not top25, though it’s close, if you’re using USNWR as your marker which most people do. Yes it’s flawed, but when people site “ranking” this is what they’re using

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Eh close enough. Top 31 then.

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit more? Does the MSAR indicate which schools are more likely to give scholarships, or is it luck of the draw?

There are schools that will throw money at very high MCATS. Used to be 40+ so 520 might even be a bit too low to be in the high flyer division. These schools tend to be private and in slightly less desirable locations than the schools that are big names in great locations.

Someone already mentioned OSU, but check out Cincinnati too. They offer in state tuition after a year. If you're looking for a highly-ranked school then it won't be what you're looking for, but it's a good school nonetheless.

Someone already mentioned OSU, but check out Cincinnati too. They offer in state tuition after a year. If you're looking for a highly-ranked school then it won't be what you're looking for, but it's a good school nonetheless.
I'll check it out. I'm not interested in some top tier school right now.

Would about mid-to-low tier medical schools? Any recommendations to check out with MCAT scorees 508-514?

I have a better idea:

Come to terms with the fact that medical school is expensive, but you’ll pay it back with the income you earn as a result of the training.

Then buy MSAR as LizzyM said, because it’s a must have information source while applying.

Focus on getting into medical school.doing the best that you can on MCAT, building a strong app etc. Then once you get accepted and have the financial offers on the table you can decide. There are a million different permutations right now that makes it hard to predict anything with any semblance of certainty right now without everything in hand.

For what it is worth I ended up at a state school and after scholarships it became reasonably affordable.