Less than a month till MCAT, freaking out. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-Evans9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation.
I'm a 22 year old URM (A.A male), cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.4. I reside in Texas. MCAT: Taking January 25th. I have decent EC's and strong letters, my only concern is my MCAT score.

AAMC 3- 19
AAMC 4- 20
AAMC 5- 22

After saying enough is enough, I looked at my AAMC tests and did heavy analysis on my weaknesses and mistakes. For the past 2 weeks, I drilled passages on weakness. I decided to take a GS full length today (I heard those are generally harder than the AAMCs) I got a 27. I will be taking AAMC 7 in a couple of days.

My concern, am I screwed? I have about 10 full lengths left (will be taking about 3 a week). What score should I aim for to have a good chance at admission?

Any opinions will be appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you take AAMC 7 and still score sub-30, postpone the test. With your GPA, you should try to aim for a 30+ on your MCAT to match into a Texas school (I'm sure you're applying there).

It depends on what schools you are aiming for. For admission to an MD program, I'd say 30 should be your goal, especially with a GPA of < 3.5. If you're aiming for a higher tier MD school, you'll need to do even better. As far as DO programs, I can't speak to those but I'm sure other people on the forum can.

If you're not where you want to be, I'd postpone. I'm assuming you're applying this coming cycle, you even taking it in April would give you plenty of time. It looks like you've figured out a good study plan with the bump in your practice scores, so keep up the good work!