Let hear about some Triumphs in your training.

Started by Magnus67
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Magnus67

Lord of Sleepytime
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found this forum a couple months ago and now read it daily. Thanks to all the students/residents/ and attendings who post, its a great resource. Im a third year medical student in South Dakota(dont ask just find it on a atlas). I came into third year not really sure what i wanted to do, and now halfway through im 90% gas and 10% IM. The gap is distancing every day( except for when my attending let me do flex-sigs or colonoscopies, 20+ years a video gaming really has really paid off, I can navigate the colon like fighter pilot) IM clinic and rounds usually pushes the pendulum way back to Gas. I love the amount of Knowledge required to be good at IM, it seems like IM and the diagnosis aspect of surgery(acute abd.for example), are the real meat and potatoes of medicine. I love how gas combines the depth of knowledge for pharm, CV and pulmonary physiology, CCM, with aspects of acute care, hands on procedures, and intense responsibility for a patient's life. After my surgery rotation I knew I wanted to do something procedural and KNEW I could never be a surgeon. My attending my last month(also Chief of Surgery) really gave me some freedom to spend more time in pre-op with the anesthesia providers. amazing right 😀 I loved it.

Anyway thanks for all the info, when your trying to figure out your life it really helps to hear the thoughts and opinions of people farther downt the road from you.

I wanted to start my first thread about some amazing stuff that happened during some time of your training. A time when you really came through or hell, just got lucky. Times like this really solidify for me that I made the right choice to pursue medicine and give me energy to learn more. Plus everyone likes to brag a little. 🙂 heres mine from a couple of months ago.

For my continuity of care clinic which we have all year every Tues. I had a 42 year old white male come in with a CC of cramps. He went to a doc-in-abox, they did a CBC and Lights all normal. His only lab abnromality the first round was elevated CPK. they then sent him to us. Guy works a job where he walks a lot, he is very active doing a lot of hiking etc. He mainly get a cramping sensation in his thighs, but can get it in his arms, fingers, etc...if he uses them a lot. He takes nothing for relief but water and the cramps only occur during or after physical activity. He states he make a serious effort to stay hydrated. The rest of the routine questioning was what you would expect for cramping. NO PMH whatsoever, this guy was in great shape. No Meds. No allergies. NO neurological signs, Physical exam was normal. Heres where being a student comes inhandy(having time in the office to really do a thorough H&P). Any FH of Diabetes, heart disease, HTN, etc?.... he answers no. Any FH of any medical problems?? he says "well my brother, dad, and grandfather have varying degrees of cramping too." Now where getting somewhere. We do all types of testing short of muscle biopsy, we'll get to that later. Tests for muscular dystrophy, all forms of myositis, autoimmune disorders, come back negative.

Here iswhere 1st Year BIOchem comes in handy, So my attending says I'm running out of ideas,what do you think? After a second or two of blank staring and trying not to pee in my pants I throw up the crap answer of " Well there are some glycogen storage diseases that cause cramping, but I think they are really rare." She looks a little puzzeled and says research it and we schedule this guy for a f/u next week.

Why did i think of this rare pearl for BIOCHEM. I got it wrong on a test. McArdle's glycogen storage disease presents in usually the second or third decade of life with cramping. It is usually autosomal dominant, but can be sex linked. On a matching question I confused McArdles, Pompe's GS disease, Von Gierks and got 3 wrong on a test and got a B. At the time I was pissed, I thought what a waste of information/who cares. I talk to my attending show her some info and she says lets go talk to him. So I talk to the guy next week with my attending tell him that if he does a have a GS disease, there is no cure and to diagnosis it we would have to do a muscle biopsy. He understood, but he really wanted to know for sure, it had affected him for over 20 years. Anyway the biopsy came back positive for a defieciency in muscle phosporylase, which is defficient in McArdles. He felt better knowing what was really going on with his body and actually responded to treatment with quinine. He then informed his family and they all now know why they get cramps.

The point of the story is not that im really smart(in fact I probably wouldnt remember that stuff if i didnt get it wrong on the test and subsequently so mad.) But that all the crap you learn those first two years of hell, is really important and can affect peoples lives. That experienc really renergized me to keep learning and I think we all need that from time-to-time. Any way thats my story, Lets hear some of yours. 😱
 
Magnus67 said:
I found this forum a couple months ago and now read it daily. Thanks to all the students/residents/ and attendings who post, its a great resource. Im a third year medical student in South Dakota(dont ask just find it on a atlas). I came into third year not really sure what i wanted to do, and now halfway through im 90% gas and 10% IM. The gap is distancing every day( except for when my attending let me do flex-sigs or colonoscopies, 20+ years a video gaming really has really paid off, I can navigate the colon like fighter pilot) IM clinic and rounds usually pushes the pendulum way back to Gas. I love the amount of Knowledge required to be good at IM, it seems like IM and the diagnosis aspect of surgery(acute abd.for example), are the real meat and potatoes of medicine. I love how gas combines the depth of knowledge for pharm, CV and pulmonary physiology, CCM, with aspects of acute care, hands on procedures, and intense responsibility for a patient's life. After my surgery rotation I knew I wanted to do something procedural and KNEW I could never be a surgeon. My attending my last month(also Chief of Surgery) really gave me some freedom to spend more time in pre-op with the anesthesia providers. amazing right 😀 I loved it.

Anyway thanks for all the info, when your trying to figure out your life it really helps to hear the thoughts and opinions of people farther downt the road from you.

I wanted to start my first thread about some amazing stuff that happened during some time of your training. A time when you really came through or hell, just got lucky. Times like this really solidify for me that I made the right choice to pursue medicine and give me energy to learn more. Plus everyone likes to brag a little. 🙂 heres mine from a couple of months ago.

For my continuity of care clinic which we have all year every Tues. I had a 42 year old white male come in with a CC of cramps. He went to a doc-in-abox, they did a CBC and Lights all normal. His only lab abnromality the first round was elevated CPK. they then sent him to us. Guy works a job where he walks a lot, he is very active doing a lot of hiking etc. He mainly get a cramping sensation in his thighs, but can get it in his arms, fingers, etc...if he uses them a lot. He takes nothing for relief but water and the cramps only occur during or after physical activity. He states he make a serious effort to stay hydrated. The rest of the routine questioning was what you would expect for cramping. NO PMH whatsoever, this guy was in great shape. No Meds. No allergies. NO neurological signs, Physical exam was normal. Heres where being a student comes inhandy(having time in the office to really do a thorough H&P). Any FH of Diabetes, heart disease, HTN, etc?.... he answers no. Any FH of any medical problems?? he says "well my brother, dad, and grandfather have varying degrees of cramping too." Now where getting somewhere. We do all types of testing short of muscle biopsy, we'll get to that later. Tests for muscular dystrophy, all forms of myositis, autoimmune disorders, come back negative.

Here iswhere 1st Year BIOchem comes in handy, So my attending says I'm running out of ideas,what do you think? After a second or two of blank staring and trying not to pee in my pants I throw up the crap answer of " Well there are some glycogen storage diseases that cause cramping, but I think they are really rare." She looks a little puzzeled and says research it and we schedule this guy for a f/u next week.

Why did i think of this rare pearl for BIOCHEM. I got it wrong on a test. McArdle's glycogen storage disease presents in usually the second or third decade of life with cramping. It is usually autosomal dominant, but can be sex linked. On a matching question I confused McArdles, Pompe's GS disease, Von Gierks and got 3 wrong on a test and got a B. At the time I was pissed, I thought what a waste of information/who cares. I talk to my attending show her some info and she says lets go talk to him. So I talk to the guy next week with my attending tell him that if he does a have a GS disease, there is no cure and to diagnosis it we would have to do a muscle biopsy. He understood, but he really wanted to know for sure, it had affected him for over 20 years. Anyway the biopsy came back positive for a defieciency in muscle phosporylase, which is defficient in McArdles. He felt better knowing what was really going on with his body and actually responded to treatment with quinine. He then informed his family and they all now know why they get cramps.

The point of the story is not that im really smart(in fact I probably wouldnt remember that stuff if i didnt get it wrong on the test and subsequently so mad.) But that all the crap you learn those first two years of hell, is really important and can affect peoples lives. That experienc really renergized me to keep learning and I think we all need that from time-to-time. Any way thats my story, Lets hear some of yours. 😱

Excellent post. Really affirms why you went into this crazy field, right? Anytime you administer a great anesthetic to a patient and they give you a heartfelt "Thank you", it certainly makes you feel good!

- A physician who still cares despite all the cynicism amongst my brethren
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Magnus67 said:
I found this forum a couple months ago and now read it daily. Thanks to all the students/residents/ and attendings who post, its a great resource. Im a third year medical student in South Dakota(dont ask just find it on a atlas). I came into third year not really sure what i wanted to do, and now halfway through im 90% gas and 10% IM. The gap is distancing every day( except for when my attending let me do flex-sigs or colonoscopies, 20+ years a video gaming really has really paid off, I can navigate the colon like fighter pilot) IM clinic and rounds usually pushes the pendulum way back to Gas. I love the amount of Knowledge required to be good at IM, it seems like IM and the diagnosis aspect of surgery(acute abd.for example), are the real meat and potatoes of medicine. I love how gas combines the depth of knowledge for pharm, CV and pulmonary physiology, CCM, with aspects of acute care, hands on procedures, and intense responsibility for a patient's life. After my surgery rotation I knew I wanted to do something procedural and KNEW I could never be a surgeon. My attending my last month(also Chief of Surgery) really gave me some freedom to spend more time in pre-op with the anesthesia providers. amazing right 😀 I loved it.

Anyway thanks for all the info, when your trying to figure out your life it really helps to hear the thoughts and opinions of people farther downt the road from you.

I wanted to start my first thread about some amazing stuff that happened during some time of your training. A time when you really came through or hell, just got lucky. Times like this really solidify for me that I made the right choice to pursue medicine and give me energy to learn more. Plus everyone likes to brag a little. 🙂 heres mine from a couple of months ago.

For my continuity of care clinic which we have all year every Tues. I had a 42 year old white male come in with a CC of cramps. He went to a doc-in-abox, they did a CBC and Lights all normal. His only lab abnromality the first round was elevated CPK. they then sent him to us. Guy works a job where he walks a lot, he is very active doing a lot of hiking etc. He mainly get a cramping sensation in his thighs, but can get it in his arms, fingers, etc...if he uses them a lot. He takes nothing for relief but water and the cramps only occur during or after physical activity. He states he make a serious effort to stay hydrated. The rest of the routine questioning was what you would expect for cramping. NO PMH whatsoever, this guy was in great shape. No Meds. No allergies. NO neurological signs, Physical exam was normal. Heres where being a student comes inhandy(having time in the office to really do a thorough H&P). Any FH of Diabetes, heart disease, HTN, etc?.... he answers no. Any FH of any medical problems?? he says "well my brother, dad, and grandfather have varying degrees of cramping too." Now where getting somewhere. We do all types of testing short of muscle biopsy, we'll get to that later. Tests for muscular dystrophy, all forms of myositis, autoimmune disorders, come back negative.

Here iswhere 1st Year BIOchem comes in handy, So my attending says I'm running out of ideas,what do you think? After a second or two of blank staring and trying not to pee in my pants I throw up the crap answer of " Well there are some glycogen storage diseases that cause cramping, but I think they are really rare." She looks a little puzzeled and says research it and we schedule this guy for a f/u next week.

Why did i think of this rare pearl for BIOCHEM. I got it wrong on a test. McArdle's glycogen storage disease presents in usually the second or third decade of life with cramping. It is usually autosomal dominant, but can be sex linked. On a matching question I confused McArdles, Pompe's GS disease, Von Gierks and got 3 wrong on a test and got a B. At the time I was pissed, I thought what a waste of information/who cares. I talk to my attending show her some info and she says lets go talk to him. So I talk to the guy next week with my attending tell him that if he does a have a GS disease, there is no cure and to diagnosis it we would have to do a muscle biopsy. He understood, but he really wanted to know for sure, it had affected him for over 20 years. Anyway the biopsy came back positive for a defieciency in muscle phosporylase, which is defficient in McArdles. He felt better knowing what was really going on with his body and actually responded to treatment with quinine. He then informed his family and they all now know why they get cramps.

The point of the story is not that im really smart(in fact I probably wouldnt remember that stuff if i didnt get it wrong on the test and subsequently so mad.) But that all the crap you learn those first two years of hell, is really important and can affect peoples lives. That experienc really renergized me to keep learning and I think we all need that from time-to-time. Any way thats my story, Lets hear some of yours. 😱

Dude, you need to be nominated for some award for that diagnosis.

Great job. 👍
 
jetproppilot said:
Dude, you need to be nominated for some award for that diagnosis.

Great job. 👍


LOL, sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good. :laugh:

I forgot to add that I sent by Biochem prof a email. He went crazy, he was so delighted. I probably just ruined that test for next years class. "Match all 10 Glycogen storage disease with the enzyme they are deficient in." That question would have made my nose bleed 1st year. 😡

Let hear some tales of your shining moments.
 
militarymd said:
I really haven't had any.....I wish I did.

Mil,

your percutaneous GB drainage suggestion isnt as glorious, but it deserves accolades just the same.

*PLEASE INSERT ONE OF MILMDS COOL CLAPPING AVATARS HERE WHICH JET WISHES HE HAD RIGHT NOW *

:clap:
 
OP

Great job there! A famous professor of ours always used to say, "the only dx you will ever miss, is the one that you didnt think of".

You know what, your post was inspiring. I'm only a MSIV and realize i'll have to take care of pts next year! Scary stuff! Definitely, this post mks me want to learn more!

Having said this....I wish ppl who argue that midlevels (CRNAs, PAs, whatever) are equal to physicians would read your post. It goes to show that only a physician (or one to be) would only think about those 1 in a 1000000 dx's. Sure it may have been something they learned as a first year in biochem, but atleast they know something about it AND can potentially dx/tx someone w/ that knowledge.

Great job..keep it up!
 
One of my shining moments happened at a bar; I was a resident and a little hottie caught my eye. I bought her a drink and we danced a little and I looked deeply into her eyes. She had blue scleras! I was buzzed pretty majorly and decided to have fun with this so I started talkin' all metaphysical, mystical to her and tellin' her that I had special "fortune teller" powers like that guy on TV that reconnects with the dead. At any rate I told her she had osteogenesis imperfecta Type 2 or something to that affect and told her that in the future her hearing perception would lessen and she said that indeed she considered gettin' hearing aids. I never told her I was in the medical field. I'm waitin' for my 5 minutes of fame from that "Unsolved Mysteries" show where the lady talks about meetin' an angel or something in a bar. I know, I know, Jetman will tell me to lay off the crack pipe and step away from the computer.... -----Regards, ---Zip
 
zippy2u said:
One of my shining moments happened at a bar; I was a resident and a little hottie caught my eye. I bought her a drink and we danced a little and I looked deeply into her eyes. She had blue scleras! I was buzzed pretty majorly and decided to have fun with this so I started talkin' all metaphysical, mystical to her and tellin' her that I had special "fortune teller" powers like that guy on TV that reconnects with the dead. At any rate I told her she had osteogenesis imperfecta Type 2 or something to that affect and told her that in the future her hearing perception would lessen and she said that indeed she considered gettin' hearing aids. I never told her I was in the medical field. I'm waitin' for my 5 minutes of fame from that "Unsolved Mysteries" show where the lady talks about meetin' an angel or something in a bar. I know, I know, Jetman will tell me to lay off the crack pipe and step away from the computer.... -----Regards, ---Zip

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL MIDGET MAGNET, THE ZIPSTER HIMSELF, HAS SPOKEN!!!!!

good to see ya, zipster!!!
 
zippy2u said:
One of my shining moments happened at a bar; I was a resident and a little hottie caught my eye. I bought her a drink and we danced a little and I looked deeply into her eyes. She had blue scleras! I was buzzed pretty majorly and decided to have fun with this so I started talkin' all metaphysical, mystical to her and tellin' her that I had special "fortune teller" powers like that guy on TV that reconnects with the dead. At any rate I told her she had osteogenesis imperfecta Type 2 or something to that affect and told her that in the future her hearing perception would lessen and she said that indeed she considered gettin' hearing aids. I never told her I was in the medical field. I'm waitin' for my 5 minutes of fame from that "Unsolved Mysteries" show where the lady talks about meetin' an angel or something in a bar. I know, I know, Jetman will tell me to lay off the crack pipe and step away from the computer.... -----Regards, ---Zip

I thought you were going to say that you ended up marrying her.

OK, my story from MSIV year. On my ER rotation I saw a woman that looked awful. I mean anorexia didn't do her justice. She tells me that she has had bouts of nausea and diarrhea for about 6 months. Sure enough I pull up her records and she has been in the ER multiple times. So I start questioning her. She in latin american (mexican), she has not traveled out of Albuquerque in 5 yrs. She is on city water and sewer. Her family scene is precarious at best. She finally admits that she has some family members living with her illegally from mexico. I question her and come to find out they arrived about 6 months ago. They have children in diapers. I said, "has anyone ever tested you for giarrdia?" She doesn't know, so I look back in the computer and it doesn't appear that anyone has. My attending remembers her finally and I say I want to culte=ure her for giarrdia. He says but she hasn't had any exposure. I tell him the story and we cluture her. BINGO, giarrdia. She was soooo happy.
Thats the best I can do.
 
Magnus67 said:
I found this forum a couple months ago and now read it daily. Thanks to all the students/residents/ and attendings who post, its a great resource. Im a third year medical student in South Dakota(dont ask just find it on a atlas). I came into third year not really sure what i wanted to do, and now halfway through im 90% gas and 10% IM. The gap is distancing every day( except for when my attending let me do flex-sigs or colonoscopies, 20+ years a video gaming really has really paid off, I can navigate the colon like fighter pilot) IM clinic and rounds usually pushes the pendulum way back to Gas. I love the amount of Knowledge required to be good at IM, it seems like IM and the diagnosis aspect of surgery(acute abd.for example), are the real meat and potatoes of medicine. I love how gas combines the depth of knowledge for pharm, CV and pulmonary physiology, CCM, with aspects of acute care, hands on procedures, and intense responsibility for a patient's life. After my surgery rotation I knew I wanted to do something procedural and KNEW I could never be a surgeon. My attending my last month(also Chief of Surgery) really gave me some freedom to spend more time in pre-op with the anesthesia providers. amazing right 😀 I loved it.

Anyway thanks for all the info, when your trying to figure out your life it really helps to hear the thoughts and opinions of people farther downt the road from you.

I wanted to start my first thread about some amazing stuff that happened during some time of your training. A time when you really came through or hell, just got lucky. Times like this really solidify for me that I made the right choice to pursue medicine and give me energy to learn more. Plus everyone likes to brag a little. 🙂 heres mine from a couple of months ago.

For my continuity of care clinic which we have all year every Tues. I had a 42 year old white male come in with a CC of cramps. He went to a doc-in-abox, they did a CBC and Lights all normal. His only lab abnromality the first round was elevated CPK. they then sent him to us. Guy works a job where he walks a lot, he is very active doing a lot of hiking etc. He mainly get a cramping sensation in his thighs, but can get it in his arms, fingers, etc...if he uses them a lot. He takes nothing for relief but water and the cramps only occur during or after physical activity. He states he make a serious effort to stay hydrated. The rest of the routine questioning was what you would expect for cramping. NO PMH whatsoever, this guy was in great shape. No Meds. No allergies. NO neurological signs, Physical exam was normal. Heres where being a student comes inhandy(having time in the office to really do a thorough H&P). Any FH of Diabetes, heart disease, HTN, etc?.... he answers no. Any FH of any medical problems?? he says "well my brother, dad, and grandfather have varying degrees of cramping too." Now where getting somewhere. We do all types of testing short of muscle biopsy, we'll get to that later. Tests for muscular dystrophy, all forms of myositis, autoimmune disorders, come back negative.

Here iswhere 1st Year BIOchem comes in handy, So my attending says I'm running out of ideas,what do you think? After a second or two of blank staring and trying not to pee in my pants I throw up the crap answer of " Well there are some glycogen storage diseases that cause cramping, but I think they are really rare." She looks a little puzzeled and says research it and we schedule this guy for a f/u next week.

Why did i think of this rare pearl for BIOCHEM. I got it wrong on a test. McArdle's glycogen storage disease presents in usually the second or third decade of life with cramping. It is usually autosomal dominant, but can be sex linked. On a matching question I confused McArdles, Pompe's GS disease, Von Gierks and got 3 wrong on a test and got a B. At the time I was pissed, I thought what a waste of information/who cares. I talk to my attending show her some info and she says lets go talk to him. So I talk to the guy next week with my attending tell him that if he does a have a GS disease, there is no cure and to diagnosis it we would have to do a muscle biopsy. He understood, but he really wanted to know for sure, it had affected him for over 20 years. Anyway the biopsy came back positive for a defieciency in muscle phosporylase, which is defficient in McArdles. He felt better knowing what was really going on with his body and actually responded to treatment with quinine. He then informed his family and they all now know why they get cramps.

The point of the story is not that im really smart(in fact I probably wouldnt remember that stuff if i didnt get it wrong on the test and subsequently so mad.) But that all the crap you learn those first two years of hell, is really important and can affect peoples lives. That experienc really renergized me to keep learning and I think we all need that from time-to-time. Any way thats my story, Lets hear some of yours. 😱

My medical miracle story was one I was a part of only by being the unlucky on-call dude...

40 something male (a sheriff in a neighboring small town) comes to the ER with crushing chest pain, SOB, diaphoresis, blah blah blah. All the MI symptoms. Chain smoker, family history.

Dude is rushed to the cath lab and codes on the cath lab table. CPR, cath lab calls the OR looking for a heart surgeon. My buddy T Mack (heart surgeon) tells them to come on down. T Mack tells us to get ready for a crash CABG.

15 minutes later the double doors to the OR crash open, gurney comes blowin' through, nurse is on top of the patient, straddling him doing CPR like on ER. Chain-smokin-patient-dude is BLUE like a smurf doll. Luckily, an already-intubated smurf doll though.

To the heart room. By some miracle I get an A-line. T Mack quickly places fem-fem lines. We're on bypass in less than 10 minutes.

T Mack does his heart surgeon stuff...now its time to try and come off bypass...we get a rhythm, but a blood pressure??

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHA

SBP 40-50. OK, time to try all my anesthesiologist tricks. After all the woosy drugs, I start with epi boluses...remembering that anesthesia is like flying an airplane....a series of small adjustments....10ug...nothing. SBP still 50. 20ug....50ug...100ug....500ug...1mg....2mg...and it kept going...

finally sent the circulator to find all the 1:1000 epi in the hospital, and started pushing milligrams of epi like a college chick doing tequila shots...

managed to get the SBP to UPPER FIFTIES/LOWER SIXTIES... :laugh:

Balloon pump placed.

We limp off bypass, dude has a SBP in the sixties. No urine.

JET: "T Mack, we've wasted our f ucking Friday night. If this dude survives I'm gonna start going to church again."

T Mack: *chuckle*

An hour later we drop of chain-smokin' dude in the PACU and I hurry to the doctors lounge for a well deserved meal and some tube.

T Mack, 30 minutes into Jet's vegetation session in the MD lounge:
"Bill, which mass you goin to?"

Jet: Huh?

"Which mass are you gonna go to?"

"I'm missin' it, bro."

"Dude's wakin' up in the PACU. His BP is in the eighties, he's making urine, and asking for a piece of paper so he can write something."

😱 😱 😱

Chain-smokin dude not only survived the surgery, he woke up with no cognitive deficits, and after a cuppla week hospital stay, left the hospital.

Every time I talk with T Mack I say "hows **** ********?"

"He's living like he did before the operation."

"And he's still smoking."

That was destiny, dudes/dudettes. Not medicine. No medical technology could've produced such a great outcome out of that clinical scenerio. We were just part of the story. Call it God/Allah/buddhism/whatever you want, somebody higher up on the ladder than us let that dude live.

Anyway, thats my most memorable medical moment.
 
Sorry, you reminded me jet about my first new years eve call out of residency. I tried to put this one out of my mind. but it was new years morning and I got called right away to the OR for a ruptured AAA. I get there and it isn't a ruptured AAA, its a 24 yr male how crashed his car into a tree and tore his aorta off his aortic valve. We do ths case, circ arrest and get him off to the ICU when we are told there is another one. "You gotta be sh*ttin me!" Its true a 30 yr male has just done the same damn thing. I get him into the OR, line him up and then I get a call from an orthopod that wants to do a knee scope NOW. I tells the nurse to take the call and tell him NO. He comes to the OR (long story short) to find me and as a nurse put it he wanted to fight if it came to that. I told her to get his address and I will pass by his house after I finish this case and kick his ass in front of his family. The nurse was better at dialogue at this point and told him what case I was doing and that I would probably not be the guy he wanted to pick a fight with anyway. I finished my 2 cases that afternoon late and went to find the orthopod on the other side of the hosp. When I ran into him he was a little taken back that his young anesthesiologist came looking for him. He appologized . And more importantly, the 2 guys that hit trees left the hosp within a week without sequella. Not a matter of medical miracles just good luck and protoplasm.
Now thats better than giarrdia, HUH
 
Noyac said:
and then I get a call from an orthopod that wants to do a knee scope NOW.

I tells the nurse to take the call and tell him NO.

He comes to the OR (long story short) to find me and as a nurse put it he wanted to fight if it came to that.

I told her to get his address and I will pass by his house after I finish this case and kick his ass in front of his family.

NOYAC IS HEREBY NOMINATED TO THE ANESTHESIOLOGIST HALL OF FAME

and nice job saving the two drunk dudes too, dude!!!
 
Noyac said:
Sorry, you reminded me jet about my first new years eve call out of residency. I tried to put this one out of my mind. but it was new years morning and I got called right away to the OR for a ruptured AAA. I get there and it isn't a ruptured AAA, its a 24 yr male how crashed his car into a tree and tore his aorta off his aortic valve. We do ths case, circ arrest and get him off to the ICU when we are told there is another one. "You gotta be sh*ttin me!" Its true a 30 yr male has just done the same damn thing. I get him into the OR, line him up and then I get a call from an orthopod that wants to do a knee scope NOW. I tells the nurse to take the call and tell him NO. He comes to the OR (long story short) to find me and as a nurse put it he wanted to fight if it came to that. I told her to get his address and I will pass by his house after I finish this case and kick his ass in front of his family. The nurse was better at dialogue at this point and told him what case I was doing and that I would probably not be the guy he wanted to pick a fight with anyway. I finished my 2 cases that afternoon late and went to find the orthopod on the other side of the hosp. When I ran into him he was a little taken back that his young anesthesiologist came looking for him. He appologized . And more importantly, the 2 guys that hit trees left the hosp within a week without sequella. Not a matter of medical miracles just good luck and protoplasm.
Now thats better than giarrdia, HUH

Thanks Noy, for saving my otherwise boring Sunday night!!!

I read your post, reread it, and reread it again,

my laughter getting louder and louder each time. Wifey thinks I'm smoking con-bud behind her back!

Jet sitting in front of the computer screen laughing his a ss off, visualizing Noyac driving up to said orthopods house and kicking his a ss in front of his family!!!!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

thanks again bro. I needed that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best one I can think of was a case being presented by a medicine attending on morning rounds during my medicine clerkship about a 35 y/o guy admitted with syncope and LOC. Patient had a history of what had been described as throat pain with fainting during meals.
Even before she was done presenting the case I raised my hand and said "this patient has glossopharyngeal neuralgia". I happened to be correct.
She seemed impressed I knew the answer from the short history she had given. Turns out it had taken her days plus a cards and neuro consult to figure it out. :laugh:
 
Now, there is a triumph. Lets give it up for Trisomy13 folks. Damn, brings back unwanted memories from my medicine rotation.
 
Ok, here is one that comes to mind. Nothing stellar, just a good feeling after.

In my R1 year I’m on CCU called to a code on the medical floor.

68yo obese Male, DM, CRF, known CAD with 2 prior arrests in hosp with some residual hypoxic brain injury, chronic trach, recently discharged from the ICU as they needed a bed and he was a chronic patient held back from the floor for pulmonary toilet issues.

Story is the guy had gone for an uneventful g-scope to work up a + FOB earlier in the day and 2 hrs later found by nurses on the floor blue. Code called, initially sinus brady progressing to V.fib then asystole.

I arrive and it is a gong show, people all over the place, RT bagging the trach and chest CPR going. Guy has no line, so they are giving Epi via the trach. He had fourier's gangrene with major debridement so groin was a mass of scar tissue and people were making a mess trying to get a femoral line. Another person trying a subclavian but no luck. We slapped on external pacers and started pacing but not getting perfusion. While that is going I do a quick survey looking for veins, nothing on the legs, groin all scar, arms a mass of holes from prior attempts, then I check the neck, the trach collar is tight around the neck and there is a huge external jugular, fire in a 14 gauge and we have access. After some cocktail of Epi, Vaso, Bicarb, Mg, narcan and flumazenil guy lucks out and gets a perfusing rhythm over the pacing. Bounced back to the ICU.

End of the story. I noticed that there was quite a lot of resistance while bagging and when I remove the trach canula it was just caked with secretions. Exchanged the canuala and it was much better. Reviewing the notes the guy got 5mg of Midaz + 150 fent in GI then sent back to the floor. Working diagnosis was therefore a primary respiratory arrest 2nd to respiratory depression from the meds + the narrowed lumen of the trach leading to a cardiac arrest. Horary for our healthcare system, another iatrogenic morbitity!

So anyways, I know it is rather minor, it’s no torn aorta but while I’ve run a lot of codes since then, that was my “first” during my residency and I still feel good about getting that 14 gauge in when no one else did. Ideally could have placed a central line but the Seniors were monopolizing all the kits, all I had was the beautiful orange IV.