Let's say you mess up the writing section...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSirGin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I do if I'm taking the MCAT and for whatever reason I freak out and don't finish one or both of my essays. Perhaps you fail to answer the prompt. Should you cancel your score?

Members don't see this ad.

The WS is the easiest part of the MCAT in that it matters the least and is quite easy to prepare for. So, don't freak out...

Members don't see this ad :)
What should I do if I'm taking the MCAT and for whatever reason I freak out and don't finish one or both of my essays. Perhaps you fail to answer the prompt. Should you cancel your score?

Sometimes, you may be doing really well on the other sections, but you may hit a snag because you come across a weird prompt, one that is a little harder to interpret, or is difficult in finding examples for. Under these circumstances, you must always keep your cool. When you are a medical student or a physician, sometimes you may come across really intense situations that can make you feel disoriented, and a little under pressure, and it may cause you to freak out a little. But, under these circumstances, you must hold it together and push through by thinking as clearly and rationally as you can.

In other words, when you do find yourself freaking out on the MCAT Writing Sample, you must pause, and take a few deep breaths and recollect your thoughts, then have another go at it. Do not sell yourself short because you feel the heat; do not sell your patients short by falling apart. If you are truly driven and passionate about medicine, you will find a way. Giving up is not a part of "the way." Reason out the prompt as best you can. If you find that you cannot come up with a suitable argument through a specific real-word example, do so by a theoretical or general example, or through explanation. Explain the hell out of the prompt, then explain the hell out of the counterargument and its validity. Reason out the three tasks.

If worse comes to worse and you completely blank out, try to pull yourself together again, and have at it. If you find that it just wasn't a good day, and you will score a J or an X, then void. If you feel that you may score a K, or an L or higher, then do not void, as your judgement of your score can be slightly warped under testing conditions. The most important thing a medical school advisor told me was to think positive. She couldn't be more correct. Think and be positive. Just remember, if you end up with a low score on one essay, and a near perfect score on the other essay, you can still pull off a decent WS score. You may be hardpressed to matriculate at a Canadian school with a mediocre WS, but you can still find acceptance with American schools.

Just finish your essays.

The writing section is very easy compared to the rest of your test.

If you're worried about not finishing, say 5 minutes left. Just write your conclusion. Make it look like you finished. I think not finishing is worse than not having a good idea down. You must answer the prompt, no matter what and just doing this is basically half your score.

Also, don't freak out. Like mentioned earlier...if you can't do the writing....

Don't void b/c of your essay. Med schools would only take notice if you got one of the lowest scores, which I doubt you should.