Lets settle this: Science GPA calculations include graduate courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CANgnome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
we are not talking about post-bacc, as they are considered undergraduate courses, but rather Master's and SMP credits

So, i keep hearing these people telling me that graduate GPA only counts towards overall GPA, while some people also are telling me it counts towards your total science/bcp GPA.

For certain, i know it goes towards your overall GPA, but do graduate science courses count towards science/bcp GPA as well?

So, my impression is that there is only 7 general GPA values reported by AADSAS (exclusing the listing of individual courses):

BCP GPA: Undergraduate B/C/P
Sci GPA: Undergraduate B/C/P/M/Other Science
Non-Sci GPA: Undergraduate Non-science
Undergraduate GPA: Undergraduate cumulative GPA

Graduate GPA: Graduate cumulative GPA
Overall GPA: All courses for undergraduate and graduate combined.
College/University GPA: All courses in certain universities.

People are usually focusing on Overall GPA, Sci GPA, and BCP GPA here. Those descriptions were obtained from the AADSAS Faq page.

So, am i incorrect? People are telling me that graduate GPA gets incorporated into sci/bcp gpa too. Some people are telling me there are cumulative science/bcp GPAs values and even graduate science/bcp GPA values?!?! I don't think so...

So, this is very confusing. Can anyone knowledgeable shed some light on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, grad courses get averaged in.

There are gpa calculations for Sci, BCP, Non-Sci and overall for undergrad, grad and cumulative.

can anyone who has done a master's verify this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Proof

Attachments

• AADSAS gpa calculation.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 210
Thank you so much for this thread!

Are graduate courses weighted more heavily than undergraduate? Technically speaking, they are "harder" than undergraduate..
I'm assuming so, otherwise I might as well just take more bulls*it undergraduate science courses instead of doing a masters, no?

also, how do these "hours" get factored into the calculation? I plan on doing a thesis-based master's, where I won't have many didactic courses (ie. only a few courses where I receive actual grades)

i mean to say "anyone else who has done a masters"

thanks for showing us your proof, dentaldam.

This clears up a whole lot of confusion for sure!

Thank you so much for this thread!

Are graduate courses weighted more heavily than undergraduate? Technically speaking, they are "harder" than undergraduate..
I'm assuming so, otherwise I might as well just take more bulls*it undergraduate science courses instead of doing a masters, no?

also, how do these "hours" get factored into the calculation? I plan on doing a thesis-based master's, where I won't have many didactic courses (ie. only a few courses where I receive actual grades)

If you're done with undergrad, don't take more bs classes to boost gpa, you had your chance to do that. I'm sure graduate level classes look nice but I do not think that they are more heavily weighted in the eyes of adcoms. It may depend on the school and what they are looking for.

Not sure about your masters program, but the only difference between the thesis and non-thesis tracks where I did my masters was 6 credits for the research. All graduate students had to take the required twenty something credit hours of didactic courses.