Let's talk about: Internships and residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay but your post was directed at me, and I found it disrespectful, so I told you that. There is a fine line we dance when posting in a joking matter and I did not find your post entertaining. So if you did not mean it I can let it go, but I had to point it out to you since the post involved my name (even if only a screen name).

Truce:thumbup:

Dang...I actually read it as a compliment.

Amazing how interpretations and meanings get so easily confused in print.

Members don't see this ad.

Amazing how interpretations and meanings get so easily confused in print.

And that is exacetly why we should clarify our intentions when questioned ("smartass" doesn't equate to compliment in my mind, call me sensitive:D)

Well, it wasn't an insult, or I didn't mean it as such...

And I am a smartass, but a rather friendly one, if that's possible.

For future reference, if I ever feel like saying something unkind, I generally... don't.

Truce truce.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to do an internship AND a residency to be board certified?

Technically no. ACVIM, which encompasses neuro, requires you to complete an approved residency and either a 1-year rotating internship in medicine and surgery or equivalent broad-based clinical experience. However, these days it's tough but not impossible to get a residency without an internship.

I already have a Master's degree, so does that count me out of some of the programs offering MS/PhD options?

With some programs the MS/PhD is optional. Others require an MS or PhD, but some of these will not make you do this if you already have a graduate degree.

How does a program that earns the candidate a DVSc degree upon completion compare to other programs? (I am thinking of the Ontario Veterinary College) Looking at the match site I can't find any other programs that offer this..

I have a question if anyone knows...

I was looking on the website and wondering how you would do an internship/residency for mixed practice?? Would you have to do internships and residencies in both small and large animal medicine? I'm sure they must have a better solution, I just don't know where to look!! :laugh:

I have a question if anyone knows...

I was looking on the website and wondering how you would do an internship/residency for mixed practice?? Would you have to do internships and residencies in both small and large animal medicine? I'm sure they must have a better solution, I just don't know where to look!! :laugh:

Good question, I would like to know also!! :)

Good question, I would like to know also!! :)

Isnt a mixed practice vet more a "jack of all trades, master of none"? Which kind of goes against the nature of advanced training in a specific field?

Depends which field you want to work in I would guess. I know Therio is simply therio, no real separation for small animal and large when it comes to residencies. I know the opthamologist who used to be at the hospital I am at also did both small animal and equine work.

Tsuky, which specialty in particular are you considering? If its surgery then I think you will be kind of out of luck if you wanted to specialize for both small animal and large. With the other specialties though you might might be better off.

There are food animal internships (we have one at K-State), but I think David's right and there's no residency for mixed practice. It would be like having a residency for general small animal practice...There is a certification for this type of training, but it's a bit complicated to go into here. Check out http://www.abvp.com/ for this type of training.

Certain specialities, like optho and therio, do have both small- and large-animal components. Neuro is just small animal. There are separate residencies for small animal internal medicine, equine internal medicine, small animal surgery and large animal surgery.