You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Lets talk about our own health for a second...
Started by sevoflurane
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Cialis 5mg daily, testosterone or hcg......
as I get older i'm gonna try to gradually reduce total daily caloric intake. I believe that's been linked to prolonged life.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cialis 5mg daily, testosterone or hcg......
Have you looked into Clomid as a testosterone booster? I am talking off label use and not for PCOS?
Seriously.
as I get older i'm gonna try to gradually reduce total daily caloric intake. I believe that's been linked to prolonged life.
I am trying to get there. I am finding it hard to do.
I have a partner who did it and he cut his total cholesterol in half after 3 months.
He cut out all his grains and meats. Pretty imperessive after 3 months.
I take a multi vitamin (brand I get from my doctor, can't recall name), krill oil (mercola, upon my doctor's suggestion; my cholesterol was borderline when I started seeing him), and probiotics daily(I'll spare you the details, but I notice a difference when I don't take these religiously, garden of life brand men's formula).
I restrict calories and do intermittent fasting when I can, my job makes it tough. I have to shove down food when I can. I'd say we eat mostly plant based/vegetarian, but not strict 100% of the time.
I've finally accepted that I can't out exercise a bad diet. Really sucks, my wife is a helluva cook. I also have an awful sweet tooth.....
I restrict calories and do intermittent fasting when I can, my job makes it tough. I have to shove down food when I can. I'd say we eat mostly plant based/vegetarian, but not strict 100% of the time.
I've finally accepted that I can't out exercise a bad diet. Really sucks, my wife is a helluva cook. I also have an awful sweet tooth.....
Last edited:
D
deleted162650
Check out the book Younger Next Year. I think just getting off your ass is the single most important thing you can do. I'd eat paleo if bread wasn't so delicious.
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks."
- Joe E. Lewis
- Joe E. Lewis
Clomid makes me moody. Hcg for me is better!
I dropped 30 lbs 4th year med school so I wasn't a fatass during interviews.
I do crossfit 5-6x/week; 90% time eat paleo-ish trying to cut down on grains and processed food; 2-3 cups coffee/day.
I'm a strong believer of trying to limit processed junk, lift heavy weights, and get sleep regularly. Recent data seems to suggest that circadian rhythm disturbances are playing more of a role than we could imagine. I *try* to eat bigger breakfasts and smaller dinners, but so hard with our schedules.
Vitamin D is only supplement outside of my allergy meds.
I do crossfit 5-6x/week; 90% time eat paleo-ish trying to cut down on grains and processed food; 2-3 cups coffee/day.
I'm a strong believer of trying to limit processed junk, lift heavy weights, and get sleep regularly. Recent data seems to suggest that circadian rhythm disturbances are playing more of a role than we could imagine. I *try* to eat bigger breakfasts and smaller dinners, but so hard with our schedules.
Vitamin D is only supplement outside of my allergy meds.
yup. This is the only thing proven to work.as I get older i'm gonna try to gradually reduce total daily caloric intake. I believe that's been linked to prolonged life.
I take vitamin D. Thats it. my health is ****. I eat junk food all the time, tons of chips, soda. Sit all day. No exercise. Sleep 5 hrs a day. Drink a ton of coffee.
Theres no good data that suggest any supplement is good if you aren't deficient in it so i dont bother. My Vit D when i checked was 16 so I decided to supplement it.
Theres no good data that suggest any supplement is good if you aren't deficient in it so i dont bother. My Vit D when i checked was 16 so I decided to supplement it.
D
deleted162650
yup. This is the only thing proven to work.
We could all live to be 100 if we'd just give up all the things that make us want to live to be 100.
I dropped 30 lbs 4th year med school so I wasn't a fatass during interviews.
I do crossfit 5-6x/week; 90% time eat paleo-ish trying to cut down on grains and processed food; 2-3 cups coffee/day.
I'm a strong believer of trying to limit processed junk, lift heavy weights, and get sleep regularly. Recent data seems to suggest that circadian rhythm disturbances are playing more of a role than we could imagine. I *try* to eat bigger breakfasts and smaller dinners, but so hard with our schedules.
Vitamin D is only supplement outside of my allergy meds.
Nice. I think you are on to something with the circadian rhythm thing.
"I do crossfit 5-6x/week; 90% time eat paleo-ish trying to cut down on grains and processed food"
This will def. trim anyone out.
But how about long term helth benefits?
HLN was promoting GI health and 30% reduction of colon ca. with low dose aspirin. (I know... I was just quoting HLN)
Statins are supposed to lower dementia.
Both these might be intangibles with a healthy life style and paleo diet.
D
deleted87051
I never eat breakfast and many days I skip lunch, then pig out at dinner. Does that count as intermittent fasting?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those looking to nerd out website caloriesproper.com is great for evidence based diet type stuff.
My understanding is the studies done on calorie restriction the equivalent in humans would be 800-1000 Cal/day. That would be tough to sustain, but some researchers think you can get the same epigentic signaling by IF, or a weekly fast.
I think the intersection of nutrition and genetics has an iceberg of information that will be uncovered in the next few years/decades.
FoundMyFitness
This website is a researcher in California. She has a lot of good info and you can nerd out for days with all her videos/podcasts.
I think the intersection of nutrition and genetics has an iceberg of information that will be uncovered in the next few years/decades.
FoundMyFitness
This website is a researcher in California. She has a lot of good info and you can nerd out for days with all her videos/podcasts.
D
deleted59964
as I get older i'm gonna try to gradually reduce total daily caloric intake. I believe that's been linked to long miserable life.
fixed that for you
None. Avoid supplements and medications at all costs unless absolutely necessary. Diet, exercise, and not smoking are the three pinions of health
Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile
you might be interested in this: Lovastatin inhibits the extracellular-signal-regulated kinase pathway in immortalized rat brain neuroblastsStatins are supposed to lower dementia.
only a rat model but the concluding sentence..."These findings could contribute to elucidate the molecular mechanisms by which statins induce growth suppression and/or apoptosis in neuronal cells, and may also help to explain the CNS side effects associated with statin therapy."
doubt inducing apoptosis in your neurons is going to help with dementia
D
deleted59964
red wine
dark chocolate
--- exercise and an otherwise healthy diet probably important too
dark chocolate
--- exercise and an otherwise healthy diet probably important too
Mild exercise: walking, cycling as a mean of transportation.None. Avoid supplements and medications at all costs unless absolutely necessary. Diet, exercise, and not smoking are the three pinions of health
Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile
I believe strenuous exercise and the physio-pathological changes associated with it (ventricular hypertrophy) are bad if your objective is to live long.
I'd rather be dead.He cut out all his grains and meats. Pretty imperessive after 3 months.
I'm 42. Probably due for a statin.
And some vitamin C. 😉
I could use some more physical exercise. I've been a slug this year, but I have reason to believe that will change on July 1st.
I've got genetics on my side. My 80-yo mother throws her kayak on the roof of her car and takes it out in the ocean every day. My father lived until his 80s before pancreatic cancer got him, and he smoked and drank. I'm going to live to be 150.
1. Avoid highly-refined white carbohydrates & highly processed foods in general especially with those with sugar added (you'd be surprised at how prevalent that is in American grocery store products).
2. 81 mg ASA qd
3. Primarily fish and quinoa for protein intake, and dark chocolate-covered almonds as dessert.
4. Dark beer or red wine in moderation.
5. Moderate exercise 6 days/week, including stretching, cardio, and weight/strength training.
6. As much as possible, avoid sleep disturbances. Trying to keep my telomeres happy.
In general I make a conscientious effort to follow the Mediterranean diet.
Most importantly: pick genetically-healthy parents.
2. 81 mg ASA qd
3. Primarily fish and quinoa for protein intake, and dark chocolate-covered almonds as dessert.
4. Dark beer or red wine in moderation.
5. Moderate exercise 6 days/week, including stretching, cardio, and weight/strength training.
6. As much as possible, avoid sleep disturbances. Trying to keep my telomeres happy.
In general I make a conscientious effort to follow the Mediterranean diet.
Most importantly: pick genetically-healthy parents.
Last edited:
Eat right, sleep well, volunteer to help others, have a hobby, and exercise to maintain BMI at 25ish. We don't need to make this any harder than it needs to be.
D
deleted162650
I'm gonna second the
The other thing I'll add (which might not be very popular) is to keep working. I'm not talking about pushing 60hr weeks until they pry the laryngoscope from your cold dead hand, but continuing to work part time - like 50% or hell even 25% keeps you sharp and I think keeps you young. It prevents your brain from wasting away on the couch. You need to stay productive. It's been my casual observation that 100% of retired people die - statistics just aren't on their side.
You need something you're passionate about and that will get you out of bed besides work. It would help if the hobby involves physical activity - I don't think being a Call of Duty champion is gonna do much for your long term health.have a hobby
The other thing I'll add (which might not be very popular) is to keep working. I'm not talking about pushing 60hr weeks until they pry the laryngoscope from your cold dead hand, but continuing to work part time - like 50% or hell even 25% keeps you sharp and I think keeps you young. It prevents your brain from wasting away on the couch. You need to stay productive. It's been my casual observation that 100% of retired people die - statistics just aren't on their side.
D
deleted643396
You can't out-exercise or supplement genetics. That is probably the biggest determinant in a long, healthy life. You have a better chance of living a long time if your grandparents did.
Other than that, a plant-based diet with plenty of healthy fats and meat in moderation is probably the best approach. Calorie restriction happens automatically when veggies make up the bulk of your diet.
Oh and delicious whiskey...
Other than that, a plant-based diet with plenty of healthy fats and meat in moderation is probably the best approach. Calorie restriction happens automatically when veggies make up the bulk of your diet.
Oh and delicious whiskey...
Very true. Another medical truth is:You have a better chance of living a long time if your grandparents did.
If your biological parents are unable to have kids, odds are that you will also be unable to have children.
My single biggest "health issue" in my life has to do with my career: The night work just sucks the life force out of me. I firmly believe the weekly night time cases after midnight and beyond are the most harmful thing to my longevity.
If I could recommend just one thing to people that would be a good job after age 50 without any night work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise those late night cases should be reimbursed 2-3 X the daytime cases. Did I mention OB at 0200?
If I could recommend just one thing to people that would be a good job after age 50 without any night work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise those late night cases should be reimbursed 2-3 X the daytime cases. Did I mention OB at 0200?
D
deleted643396
My single biggest "health issue" in my life has to do with my career: The night work just sucks the life force out of me. I firmly believe the weekly night time cases after midnight and beyond are the most harmful thing to my longevity.
If I could recommend just one thing to people that would be a good job after age 50 without any night work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise those late night cases should be reimbursed 2-3 X the daytime cases. Did I mention OB at 0200?
Totally agree. I'm in my 30s and a busy night completely sucks the life out of me. It takes me 2 and sometimes 3 days to completely recover.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Test/GH maybe a little deca. Especially if you have joint injuries
Mediterranean diet with 40/30/30 macros p/c/f
20-30min fasted cardio for 3-4x /week
4 weight training sessions/week to hit all major muscle groups
Rinse and repeat and you will look and feel good well into your 70s
Mediterranean diet with 40/30/30 macros p/c/f
20-30min fasted cardio for 3-4x /week
4 weight training sessions/week to hit all major muscle groups
Rinse and repeat and you will look and feel good well into your 70s
Run lots, glamour muscles once or twice a week for the ladies, minimize crappy carbs as much as possible. Try not to get started on the sweets or pizza or whatever when someone brings a buncha sh1t into the lounge at work. I can avoid getting started, but once I DO get started, I won't stop til there's nothing left. That's why I can't have ANY crap in my house. And I mean ANY crap.
That's why I can't have ANY crap in my house. And I mean ANY crap.
So where do you sleep?
Sorry too easy
Thus far I've avoided eating furniture. I wouldn't put anything past me though.So where do you sleep?
Sorry too easy
I sip a shake during the day that contains
Whey isolate (now natural unflavored)
MSM
sodium ascorbate
Chia seeds
Flax seed
Psyllium husk
Natural peanut butter
Coconut oil and walnuts for omega
Livfit superfoods blend
I focus on HIIT and could confidently put up combine numbers at 40+ years old that would be solid middle of the pack (for quarterbacks)
Whey isolate (now natural unflavored)
MSM
sodium ascorbate
Chia seeds
Flax seed
Psyllium husk
Natural peanut butter
Coconut oil and walnuts for omega
Livfit superfoods blend
I focus on HIIT and could confidently put up combine numbers at 40+ years old that would be solid middle of the pack (for quarterbacks)
My single biggest "health issue" in my life has to do with my career: The night work just sucks the life force out of me. I firmly believe the weekly night time cases after midnight and beyond are the most harmful thing to my longevity.
If I could recommend just one thing to people that would be a good job after age 50 without any night work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise those late night cases should be reimbursed 2-3 X the daytime cases. Did I mention OB at 0200?
I agree. A small part of me dies every time I get called in during the middle of the night. Add holidays in there too. Christmas with a surgeon grinch- no thanks.
I focus on HIIT and could confidently put up combine numbers at 40+ years old that would be solid middle of the pack (for quarterbacks)
Nice! I'm trying to get there. What are your stats??
I'm 6'2 210 and can do 205/265/315 BP/Squat/DL for reps. I started lifting again about a year ago.
My Grandma just died at 98. I plan to follow her lead.
Smoke >50 years
Be morbidly obese for ~30 years
Drink beer daily
Never trust those "damn doctors" who are trying to make money off of all those medicines they give you
Screw exercise
Her sister ate healthier, and is still swimming 3 days a week at age 102.
My other Grandma is 95, and acts as tech support for her assisted living.
Im pretty sure she is powered exclusively by cookies and cinnamon rolls.
She golfed until last year, but cheated by just driving her cart everywhere, including on the greens.
My actual plan includes exercise, avoiding an excess of sweets, drinking only moderately, taking an aspirin a day after I turn 40 or 50, and limiting how much I let work stress me out. I do feel I have a significant boost from genetics though.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Smoke >50 years
Be morbidly obese for ~30 years
Drink beer daily
Never trust those "damn doctors" who are trying to make money off of all those medicines they give you
Screw exercise
Her sister ate healthier, and is still swimming 3 days a week at age 102.
My other Grandma is 95, and acts as tech support for her assisted living.
Im pretty sure she is powered exclusively by cookies and cinnamon rolls.
She golfed until last year, but cheated by just driving her cart everywhere, including on the greens.
My actual plan includes exercise, avoiding an excess of sweets, drinking only moderately, taking an aspirin a day after I turn 40 or 50, and limiting how much I let work stress me out. I do feel I have a significant boost from genetics though.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Seldom do 1rm anymore. Used to walk around at 210 (6'2 also) but been on keto and down to 200. 225 reps for 12-14 depending on the glycogen stores. I focus a lot on sled work w legs (driving) and stairs for plyo (just shy of sticking the landing on that elusive 6th stair😉. Sprint work has always been my forte though. 99% sure i was born with only type 2 fibers since I can't run distance for crap.Nice! I'm trying to get there. What are your stats??
I'm 6'2 210 and can do 205/265/315 BP/Squat/DL for reps. I started lifting again about a year ago.
D
deleted697535
I wonder how bad one off nights are vs night shifts for your health.
On call 1 night in 7 is just like going to a nightclub. It wouldn't overly upset your body clock...
Night shifts would upset your body a lot. It does for me anyway!
On call 1 night in 7 is just like going to a nightclub. It wouldn't overly upset your body clock...
Night shifts would upset your body a lot. It does for me anyway!
I do not do nights, weekends, holidays, or call with my current anesthesiology job. I make a little less money, but going home by 3pm everyday (or before) is heaven, and certainly good for one's health.
On a similar note, anyone on here use Strava? I run probably 5 days a week (40 miles/week average), workout 5-7 days/week with weights (use a 4 day split, about 45-60 mins each time), bike (bought a Specialized Roubaix last year), and will swim once the outdoor University pool opens this summer (very weak swimmer but trying to get better).
Do the protein shakes twice a day with whey and/or casein (post workout) protein, BCAA, add in some creatine, glutamine, and beta alanine. I take a MVI, glucosamine chondroitin, and fish oil. Try to eat healthy for the most part but do have a sweet tooth. The physician's lounge has terrible food for lunch and dinner (if I'm on call) but I've been trying to do salad for lunch. My wife is gluten free so we do a lot of paleo type dinners.
Do the protein shakes twice a day with whey and/or casein (post workout) protein, BCAA, add in some creatine, glutamine, and beta alanine. I take a MVI, glucosamine chondroitin, and fish oil. Try to eat healthy for the most part but do have a sweet tooth. The physician's lounge has terrible food for lunch and dinner (if I'm on call) but I've been trying to do salad for lunch. My wife is gluten free so we do a lot of paleo type dinners.
D
deleted162650
On a similar note, anyone on here use Strava? I run probably 5 days a week (40 miles/week average), workout 5-7 days/week with weights (use a 4 day split, about 45-60 mins each time), bike (bought a Specialized Roubaix last year), and will swim once the outdoor University pool opens this summer (very weak swimmer but trying to get better).
Do the protein shakes twice a day with whey and/or casein (post workout) protein, BCAA, add in some creatine, glutamine, and beta alanine. I take a MVI, glucosamine chondroitin, and fish oil. Try to eat healthy for the most part but do have a sweet tooth. The physician's lounge has terrible food for lunch and dinner (if I'm on call) but I've been trying to do salad for lunch. My wife is gluten free so we do a lot of paleo type dinners.
You clearly have no children.
You clearly have no children.
DINK! (Working on it though)
How much sleep do you guys feel that you need each night? For me I really feel like I work best in the 7 - 7 1/2 hour range. For anyone who has trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep I have started taking a spoonful of almond butter right before bed and have had great results.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1You clearly have no children.
I take magnesium citrate before bed (powdered form). Helps with muscle soreness/cramps as well as sleep and acid reflux if you suffer. Dirt cheap when bought in bulk. Tim Ferris has a great podcast on sleeping in 90 minute "blocks" that coincide with your sleep cycle.How much sleep do you guys feel that you need each night? For me I really feel like I work best in the 7 - 7 1/2 hour range. For anyone who has trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep I have started taking a spoonful of almond butter right before bed and have had great results.
I wouldn't call that a lifeOn a similar note, anyone on here use Strava? I run probably 5 days a week (40 miles/week average), workout 5-7 days/week with weights (use a 4 day split, about 45-60 mins each time), bike (bought a Specialized Roubaix last year), and will swim once the outdoor University pool opens this summer (very weak swimmer but trying to get better).
Do the protein shakes twice a day with whey and/or casein (post workout) protein, BCAA, add in some creatine, glutamine, and beta alanine. I take a MVI, glucosamine chondroitin, and fish oil. Try to eat healthy for the most part but do have a sweet tooth. The physician's lounge has terrible food for lunch and dinner (if I'm on call) but I've been trying to do salad for lunch. My wife is gluten free so we do a lot of paleo type dinners.
How much sleep do you guys feel that you need each night? For me I really feel like I work best in the 7 - 7 1/2 hour range. For anyone who has trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep I have started taking a spoonful of almond butter right before bed and have had great results.
I get about 6 hours... but really want to increase that to 8 hours. For some reason, I am always up at 5:30 am w/o an alarm clock and usually have a hard time falling back to sleep.
Interested in the mag citrate for sleep.
Last I had read, glucosamine/chondroitin doesn't really have any real effects. Not sure tho.
Test/GH maybe a little deca. Especially if you have joint injuries
Mediterranean diet with 40/30/30 macros p/c/f
20-30min fasted cardio for 3-4x /week
4 weight training sessions/week to hit all major muscle groups
Rinse and repeat and you will look and feel good well into your 70s
How do you get put on GH/test/deca?
Ask your GP to give it a go?
Why deca for joint injuries?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 696