let's try this again, cleveland schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tee 224

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know how cleveland's first year schedule goes? what time do classes begin and end? I called the school and spoke with Barb and she said something like. Monday 8 to 4 or 8 to 7 depending on lab. Tues and Thurs until 2:30. Wed 8 to 5 and Frid 12 to 2:30. I looked at DMU posts and there schedule is pretty much 8 until noon. What gives? Does anybody know how cleveland's schedule really runs.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tee 224 said:
Anyone out there know how cleveland's first year schedule goes? what time do classes begin and end? I called the school and spoke with Barb and she said something like. Monday 8 to 4 or 8 to 7 depending on lab. Tues and Thurs until 2:30. Wed 8 to 5 and Frid 12 to 2:30. I looked at DMU posts and there schedule is pretty much 8 until noon. What gives? Does anybody know how cleveland's schedule really runs.

thanks

I also want to know. I had a hard time finding out on line, but I do not want to call and ask because I'm on "conditional acceptance" right now (still waiting for letter of recomendation) and I fell dumb asking. If we hardly even get summer ( 2 weeks :thumbdown: ) off then I would hope that we would spend a little less time in the classroom than most schools during the week.

Seven kids, and a phony affair, and the rent is due.
All the little chicks with the crimson lips go
Cleveland rocks! Cleveland rocks!
Livin' in sin with a safety pin goin'
Cleveland rocks! Cleveland rocks!

Members don't see this ad :)
first year your hours are fairly flexible...

fall semester - you have anatomy on m/w from 8-12 and finish the day at 5 and sometimes 2:30. However, you get fridays off that semester.

spring semester - it is probably one of the most difficult ones you'll get at ocpm. The hours can go from 8-7 one one day per week depends if you have lower anatomy lab at night. But the rest of the days were 8-4 from what i recall.

Summer semester - its sweet - your done class by 2 or 4 at the latest and they're very light classes in a 6-week period.

The reason we don't get that much time off in the first year is because we spread out the classes to the summer semester as well.

So listening to this Ohio schedule, when exactly do you have time to study if you are in class everyday til 4ish and some days til 7???

Dmayor22 said:
So listening to this Ohio schedule, when exactly do you have time to study if you are in class everyday til 4ish and some days til 7???

i only had one day until 7 and even then we had 3 hours off in between. I don't think its unreasonable to study from after 4 o'clock till late at night. The time is there but its upto you to manage it and maximize the quality of study you get out of your time.

It just seems that someone who goes to class from 8-12 most days with an occasional lab in the afternoon has a more healthy schedule because if you dont get home til 4 and study til the late night everynight with classes at 8 the next morning you will very quickly burn out from exhaustion. But im not trying to pick a fight or anything just throwing in my 2 cents.

Dmayor22 said:
It just seems that someone who goes to class from 8-12 most days with an occasional lab in the afternoon has a more healthy schedule because if you dont get home til 4 and study til the late night everynight with classes at 8 the next morning you will very quickly burn out from exhaustion. But im not trying to pick a fight or anything just throwing in my 2 cents.

I agree with you that it would be healthy if one had a constant early schedule throughout the year.

I should note though that we only had class at 8 am during 2 days of the week and then the next day we would have either a 9 am or 10 am class. It really isn't that bad and I cant recall it being an issue with most of my classmates. You will have plenty of time to study and manage your errands. We had quite a few married and non-traditional students in my class and they managed to cope with studying and their family lives pretty well.

the schedule just seems so odd. several of the other schools have such straight forward schedules and don't go summer. i guess i'm just confused why we go summers and seem to spend more hours a week in class?

how did classes go as far as what classes when and are they in a block? for example biochem for the first 4 weeks with say anatomy for 12, then as you finish one you add in another?

thanks!

I really need some great info on the class schedule for the first year. As specific as possible please!!!!!!! I am thinking that I might have to defer for a year. I can't seem to get a good grasp on the first year schedule and I will be commuting between one and a half to two hrs each way the first year. If the schedule is truly until 5 or 7 everyday there is no way I can study and still have time for sanity. Please anybody with info please fill me in to the first year schedule. When are you in lecture and when are you in lab? what time do you actually get out?

thanks a ton!!

i'm very frazzled right now!

Tee 224 said:
the schedule just seems so odd. several of the other schools have such straight forward schedules and don't go summer. i guess i'm just confused why we go summers and seem to spend more hours a week in class?

how did classes go as far as what classes when and are they in a block? for example biochem for the first 4 weeks with say anatomy for 12, then as you finish one you add in another?

thanks!

anatomy and biochem are all through the first semester (until december). Its not that complicated really. Whatever classes you see on your schedule are the ones u take for the entire semester.

So your first semester will be as follows:

gross anatomy, biochemistry, intro to medicine (evidence based), podiatric medicine I, and histology.

The semester begins in august and ends in december.

The following semester, you will have 5 other classes running from january till may:

Lower anatomy (+lab), microbiology I, neurobiology, physiology, and physical diagnosis.

The summer semester runs from June till mid July (8 weeks total):

Biomechanics I, Physical Diagnosis II, Radiation safety, and Physical Med + Rehabilitation.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

Tee 224 said:
I really need some great info on the class schedule for the first year. As specific as possible please!!!!!!! I am thinking that I might have to defer for a year. I can't seem to get a good grasp on the first year schedule and I will be commuting between one and a half to two hrs each way the first year. If the schedule is truly until 5 or 7 everyday there is no way I can study and still have time for sanity. Please anybody with info please fill me in to the first year schedule. When are you in lecture and when are you in lab? what time do you actually get out?

thanks a ton!!

i'm very frazzled right now!

I would seriously reconsider to moving to a closer place because a two hour commute in your first year is not ideal considering the workload that you have.

Podman said:
I would seriously reconsider to moving to a closer place because a two hour commute in your first year is not ideal considering the workload that you have.

Thank you so much for all the info! Would you be able to tell me what time you were normally out of class the first two semesters. Are the lectures in the morning and lab in the afternoon. Is it possible to get out of class earlier if you get your labs done?

Thanks a ton!!

Tee 224 said:
Thank you so much for all the info! Would you be able to tell me what time you were normally out of class the first two semesters. Are the lectures in the morning and lab in the afternoon. Is it possible to get out of class earlier if you get your labs done?

Thanks a ton!!

I honestly don't have my old schedule on me but I will tell you what i remember:

Semester 1:
- Fridays off but was used as a day to review Anatomy in Lab or to finish off dissections.
- Anatomy class + lab is on M/W: 8-12
- Podmed I on thursday morning 9 or 10 oclock
- Biochem on Tuesday and Friday afternoon - I believe we were done by 3:00 or 4:00 pm at the latest.
- Intro to evidence based medicine - Tuesdays at 9 am
- Histo Lecture + lab - Monday and Wednesday afternoon - latest that you'll finish is by 4 or 5pm on those days.

-overall, very reasonable semester with no more than 2 classes per day - the big "beast" for that term is Gross Anatomy - Dr. Landers doesn't have the best notes but he is a great lecturer. Keep in mind that in addition to him being an anatomist, he is also a dentist by profession so he loves the "head and neck" section - have fun :cool:

-I should note that the lecutres are available digitally on mp3 format from the student website - so if u miss a lecture, you can definately recover.

Semester 2:

- tough semester - very time consuming and classes are heavier.
- Class was either at 8 am or 9 am in the morning.
- Lower anatomy labs would run either from 1:30 pm-4:30 and/or 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm on mondays and wednesday.
- Tuesday morning was Lower anatomy quiz
- Tuesdays we finish class at 5 (physical diagnosis being the last class from 3-5).
- Fridays we had one class (physio) which was taken also on Tuesdays, and thursdays.
-Thursdays i believe we finish at 3 or 4 pm.

I appologize for this vague schedule but I'm merely working from memory. All I can tell you was that first year was very busy and I found myself spending most of my time studying at the school library.

If you really want to do well that year then I would strongly recommend that you move closer to the school. First year especially your time is very much dedicated to lab and studying - especially anatomy lab.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of better help

Tee 224 said:

Thanks a ton!!

Lab attendance is not 100 percent mandatory perse. It is upto you to complete the dissections at any time. You don't have to stay during the designated lab time but you are advised to do so because this is the only time that you can have access to the instructor and TA's. To be fully honest with you, I have yet to hear of any person passing anatomy in our school without attending lab - so i would strongly advise that you attend your anatomy lab, and keep up with the dissections.

If you choose to leave early from lab, then i would advise that you make sure that you are completely upto date with the dissections by the end of that week.

This is a difficult curriculum and falling behind will place you at a serious disadvantage.

Podman said:
Lab attendance is not 100 percent mandatory perse. It is upto you to complete the dissections at any time. You don't have to stay during the designated lab time but you are advised to do so because this is the only time that you can have access to the instructor and TA's. To be fully honest with you, I have yet to hear of any person passing anatomy in our school without attending lab - so i would strongly advise that you attend your anatomy lab, and keep up with the dissections.

If you choose to leave early from lab, then i would advise that you make sure that you are completely upto date with the dissections by the end of that week.

This is a difficult curriculum and falling behind will place you at a serious disadvantage.

How is it over there at Ohio? I was looking at some old posts from a guy named "The Message" and he dissed OCPM soooooooooooooooooooooo damn much. Saying how some of the professors came in drunk, were terrible, etc. He made it sound like such a bad place and that many of the students were a joke. I'm sure this is not the case but I'm just curious. Is the school moving to a new building soon is that just a rumor? Thanks again

JEWmongous said:
How is it over there at Ohio? I was looking at some old posts from a guy named "The Message" and he dissed OCPM soooooooooooooooooooooo damn much. Saying how some of the professors came in drunk, were terrible, etc. He made it sound like such a bad place and that many of the students were a joke. I'm sure this is not the case but I'm just curious. Is the school moving to a new building soon is that just a rumor? Thanks again

The school is moving to a new building in the fall of 2007. This will be a major upgrade of facilities. Unfortunately, our Cleveland Foot and Ankle Clinic will shut down so the 2nd-4th year students will do their foot and ankle clinic rotations at the VA hospitals instead.

Regarding the "intoxicated" state of our professors. I have yet to experience any of that - in fact, the professors have been very professional during my experience at the school thus far. Many of our professors (especially the basic sciences ones) are from Case Western Reserve University's Dental, Medical, and Nursing schools - and they're all competent. Although, I don't necessarily agree with many of their teaching methods (but this is just a subjective opinion).

Regarding the level or state of the students, I will put in my 2 cents here. At the beginning of the first year, we started with close to a 100 students. not all 100 students were qualified to be a part of this great profession. As a result, at the start of the second year, we were down to roughly 80 students. It is embarassing that the school gave away close to 20 seats for the sake of making money and unfortunately this isn't a new phenomenon to some podiatry schools. However, the students who "made the cut" into the 2nd and 3rd years are definately professional and competent and this is something we can back with our board performances, clinical rotations, and residencies matched.

Overall, my experience at OCPM has been great. I don't think the school is number 1 by all means - however, I think it provides an environment that is strong enough for you to excel, provided that you invest the time and effort of course.

Thanks so much for all the great info!!! I really appreciate it! How was second year compared to the first year with respect to amount of time in class and lab each week. Little lighter load I hope!

Thanks a ton!

Tee 224 said:
Thanks so much for all the great info!!! I really appreciate it! How was second year compared to the first year with respect to amount of time in class and lab each week. Little lighter load I hope!

Thanks a ton!

Second year schedule was alot more reasonable because we no longer have anatomy labs - the classes are very dense with pathology and pharmacology being labelled as your "beasts" lol. You get one full month of standardized patients where you will be rotating in the departments of medicine, podiatric surgery, and podiatric medicine. In addition, each student is assigned 9 or 10 clinic days that are spread throughout the year and those are spent at the cleveland foot and ankle clinic. However, by the time you're in second year, CFAC will no longer exist, so you will be spending that time at the VA most probably shadowing a third year student.

JEWmongous said:

Lol. It wouldn't be my first pick. You'll see the whole garden variety when you get out ot externships and residency. Be prepared for anything that the profession has in the closet waiting for you! Don't be shocked! Then you'll understand why I think we as podiatrists aren't receiving the same pay for the same work. Don't give me this "I went to college for 8 years crap, quantity doesn't automatically equal quality in my opinion. For all the pods who are busting their rears in PODIATRY school, don't be offended, you're gold in my book. The rest? They're probably too busy printing "material" for their own scholastic use or saving up the loans to retake the boards.

whiskers said:
Lol. It wouldn't be my first pick. You'll see the whole garden variety when you get out ot externships and residency. Be prepared for anything that the profession has in the closet waiting for you! Don't be shocked! Then you'll understand why I think we as podiatrists aren't receiving the same pay for the same work. Don't give me this "I went to college for 8 years crap, quantity doesn't automatically equal quality in my opinion. For all the pods who are busting their rears in PODIATRY school, don't be offended, you're gold in my book. The rest? They're probably too busy printing "material" for their own scholastic use or saving up the loans to retake the boards.

how about you worry about your own studies for a change instead of spreading your wealth of ignorance :sleep: