1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Letter dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sha15, Jul 31, 2011.

1. sha15

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone;

I'll have my MCAT score mid August, and I submitted my primary on 7/23 so I'm hoping it will be verified around the same time I get my score back.

I have an issue with some letters at the moment and would love some advice. I am currently in a graduate program and I have asked 3 people from the program to write me a letter and none of them are completed yet. I believe I need at least one of them to have a complete application at most schools. I have 4 other letters already complete, but I have not attached letters to schools yet. My main letter from graduate school will be from my research advisor, but it doesn't seem like I will get it until late this August, pushing September, even after plenty of notice and reminder.

Should I assign letters to schools as soon as I get 1 from the graduate program and leave my advisor unassigned until he actually writes it? I was thinking it would make my application complete and schools would actually start looking at it if his wasn't pending. I guess I could just assign his once it is actually in, but I don't even know if they would look at it after they reviewed my file once. It just seems like it might be sketchy if I don't have a letter in from my research advisor. I'm not really sure the best way to go about this.

Any suggestions would be great;
    Thanks

#1 sha15, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TommyPickles

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. mid august? If I recall correctly, a letter from your research adviser is only required for mstp programs. I think that some schools ask for letters from your undergrad too.

5. sha15

Pre-Medical
    I was under the impression that if you do graduate school you need at least one letter from the graduate program for some medical schools. I would just prefer it be my research advisor just so it doesn't raise any red flags, but I have two other professors from here that should have the letters complete very soon. I have 3 already done from undergrad and 1 other employer done.

And yea thanks; mid August - changed it