1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Letter dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sha15, Jul 31, 2011.

1. sha15

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone;

I'll have my MCAT score mid August, and I submitted my primary on 7/23 so I'm hoping it will be verified around the same time I get my score back.

I have an issue with some letters at the moment and would love some advice. I am currently in a graduate program and I have asked 3 people from the program to write me a letter and none of them are completed yet. I believe I need at least one of them to have a complete application at most schools. I have 4 other letters already complete, but I have not attached letters to schools yet. My main letter from graduate school will be from my research advisor, but it doesn't seem like I will get it until late this August, pushing September, even after plenty of notice and reminder.

Should I assign letters to schools as soon as I get 1 from the graduate program and leave my advisor unassigned until he actually writes it? I was thinking it would make my application complete and schools would actually start looking at it if his wasn't pending. I guess I could just assign his once it is actually in, but I don't even know if they would look at it after they reviewed my file once. It just seems like it might be sketchy if I don't have a letter in from my research advisor. I'm not really sure the best way to go about this.

Any suggestions would be great;
    Thanks

#1 sha15, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TommyPickles

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. mid august? If I recall correctly, a letter from your research adviser is only required for mstp programs. I think that some schools ask for letters from your undergrad too.

5. sha15

Pre-Medical
    I was under the impression that if you do graduate school you need at least one letter from the graduate program for some medical schools. I would just prefer it be my research advisor just so it doesn't raise any red flags, but I have two other professors from here that should have the letters complete very soon. I have 3 already done from undergrad and 1 other employer done.

And yea thanks; mid August - changed it