letter form pre-med adviser

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boodthedog

Members Only
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As most schools ask for a letter from the med-school adviser position from the school granting a bachelors degree, I'm wondering what people have given who did post baccs. I'm doing an unofficial post bacc at a state school and the adviser here said she'd be happy to write it; however, I'm not earning a another degree. I don't know who to even approach at the school where I earned my bachelors, nor would they be able to write me any kind of recommendation. Am I being silly worrying about this req and the letter from the post bacc adviser will be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

As most schools ask for a letter from the med-school adviser position from the school granting a bachelors degree, I'm wondering what people have given who did post baccs. I'm doing an unofficial post bacc at a state school and the adviser here said she'd be happy to write it; however, I'm not earning a another degree. I don't know who to even approach at the school where I earned my bachelors, nor would they be able to write me any kind of recommendation. Am I being silly worrying about this req and the letter from the post bacc adviser will be fine?

Well, it is a matter of some concern, but not too much, though. Basically, most medical schools will ask for a premedical committee letter/packet. If you are unable to provide such a packet/committee letter, most will give you an alternative option, such as allowing you to send individual letters of recommendation to their school, provided that you write a letter, or statement, citing why you could not obtain one. It's no biggie if you are a non-trad; this is quite common. Check with the schools regarding their policies when you receive their secondaries; follow them. As long as you have a good reason, they'll give you an out, provided you explain why and give them alternative recommendations.

If it is possible, you should ask the undergraduate pre-health advisor's office at the school in which you are doing your post-bacc if you are able to use their committee as an undergraduate student would. Mine allowed me to do so, and it makes it easier. I was interviewed by my post-baccalaureate advisor instead of an undergraduate faculty member as is the custom for undergrads, but it is processed and signed off by the pre-medical committee in the usual manner, making it the kind of official committee letter/packet medical schools expect. The end result is that my school receives all of my recommendations from professors and professional sources, puts them together in a packet, encloses an official premedical committee evaluation, and sends them out via VirtualEvals. This made everything so easy for me, because I just needed to check the usual option. Perhaps, you can arrange this, too.

Good luck!

thanks for the info, the pre-med adviser at my post bacc already said she could do it as she normally does, an interview, talk with other profs etc. I was just concerned about the letter not coming from my original institution. Sounds like this should work fine, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info, the pre-med adviser at my post bacc already said she could do it as she normally does, an interview, talk with other profs etc. I was just concerned about the letter not coming from my original institution. Sounds like this should work fine, thanks.

I think this should be okay, too, but if you want to know for certain, and to allay any fears, I'd contact the schools in which you intend to apply. Good luck! :luck:

I didn't do my undergraduate work in the U.S. so I did not have a premed committee letter. I just sent in letters from my (then) current employer and from my graduate school mentor as well as a research collaborator. All were physicians. Nobody seemed to care (even the schools that said a premed committee letter is required). If you're worried, contact the medical schools now.