Letter from a coach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to submit a letter from your coach if you're a college athlete and have it as an MME? My coach has never written an LOR and especially not to med school. I love the man and he thinks highly of my potential, but there's a slight chance he could include some 'inappropriate' football humor or such. I have letter requirements met, but do you think adcoms would look at it weird if I didn't include a letter from my coach? Just don't want to 'risk' it if I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to submit a letter from your coach if you're a college athlete and have it as an MME? My coach has never written an LOR and especially not to med school. I love the man and he thinks highly of my potential, but there's a slight chance he could include some 'inappropriate' football humor or such. I have letter requirements met, but do you think adcoms would look at it weird if I didn't include a letter from my coach? Just don't want to 'risk' it if I don't have to.
It isn’t required or strictly recommended. If you have 2 science 1 non science then that is sufficient. If you WANT to include the coach the go for it, but only if you think it is contributory to the cause. I did that with my army squad leader/platoon sergeant and he initially wrote a 4 page thing that I needed cut down to like a page and a half thing. Overall moral of the story, good letters can be produced from people who don’t know what they are doing, but it is recommended that you guide them threw it and honestly see if you can write it with them...

Reactions: 1 user
It isn’t required or strictly recommended. If you have 2 science 1 non science then that is sufficient. If you WANT to include the coach the go for it, but only if you think it is contributory to the cause. I did that with my army squad leader/platoon sergeant and he initially wrote a 4 page thing that I needed cut down to like a page and a half thing. Overall moral of the story, good letters can be produced from people who don’t know what they are doing, but it is recommended that you guide them threw it and honestly see if you can write it with them...

Thanks, good point!

Members don't see this ad :)
I played d 1 football and my coach wrote me one and it I had a successful cycle. Understandably, many don’t realize that your coach knows MUCH more of who u are than a professor. Tell him to write you a letter about your leadership and professionalism. PM me if you have more questions

Reactions: 3 users
I played d 1 football and my coach wrote me one and it I had a successful cycle. Understandably, many don’t realize that your coach knows MUCH more of who u are than a professor. Tell him to write you a letter about your leadership and professionalism. PM me if you have more questions

Then you understand, was worried his film-room humor might slip into the letter lol. But i did, so hopefully it turns out good lol

If there is any chance that any adcom member might know your coach as a "celebrity" then they will be excited to see a letter from him. I know I was when my favorite coach (for a sport other than football at a school >700 miles from my home) submitted a letter on behalf of one of his athletes.

The coach should be able to speak to your work ethic, teamwork, leadership, mental toughness, ability to bounce back after defeat, positive mental attitude, ability to see the big picture or to be a quick study when it comes to analysis... there are many different attributes that could make a good letter.

And if there is a little humor in the letter, that's okay.Anything that makes us laugh and breaks up the monotony of 7000 letters from chemistry teachers is a good thing!

Reactions: 2 users
If there is any chance that any adcom member might know your coach as a "celebrity" then they will be excited to see a letter from him. I know I was when my favorite coach (for a sport other than football at a school >700 miles from my home) submitted a letter on behalf of one of his athletes.

The coach should be able to speak to your work ethic, teamwork, leadership, mental toughness, ability to bounce back after defeat, positive mental attitude, ability to see the big picture or to be a quick study when it comes to analysis... there are many different attributes that could make a good letter.

And if there is a little humor in the letter, that's okay.Anything that makes us laugh and breaks up the monotony of 7000 letters from chemistry teachers is a good thing!

Was going to only get one from my positions coach because he knows me a lot better, but now I’m guessing it might be a good idea to get one from the head coach, given he's decently well known

Would a joint letter be more desirable and cleaner option than two separate letters in this case
(case being that the head coach doesn’t know me nearly as well)
Yes. A joint letter will give you the best of both worlds (insightful comments, helpful evaluations + name recognition); however, they also tend to be slightly more annoying for letter writers to coordinate.

If for some reason they are not amenable to a joint letter, then it depends on how well your head coach knows you, and also whether he can incorporate your positions coach's comments. If the answers to these questions are 'no', then I would go for the position coach's letter instead. Name recognition is an added plus, but does not make up for generic insubstantial letters. I would not send two separate letters from your coaches, especially not for the same activity.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. A joint letter will give you the best of both worlds (insightful comments, helpful evaluations + name recognition); however, they also tend to be slightly more annoying for letter writers to coordinate.

If for some reason they are not amenable to a joint letter, then it depends on how well your head coach knows you, and also whether he can incorporate your positions coach's comments. If the answers to these questions are 'no', then I would go for the position coach's letter instead. Name recognition is an added plus, but does not make up for generic insubstantial letters. I would not send two separate letters from your coaches, especially not for the same activity.

Okay, awesome answer! His secretary could probably help coordinate things. I appreciate the help guys (and gals)