Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
  1. Medical Student
    PittMedicine said:
    Just wondering if its necessary to have a D.O. letter of recomendation? Stats are good, w/ 30 MCAT and 4.0 GPA.

If you look at the admissions web pages for a lot of the schools you will see that although not required, letters from osteopathic physicians are highly preferred. I believe NOVA (maybe others) actually requires a DO letter. I'm sure there are others.

About the Ads

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Dec 24, 2004
    Southeastern, Michigan
    1. Pre-Medical
      PittMedicine said:
      Just wondering if its necessary to have a D.O. letter of recomendation? Stats are good, w/ 30 MCAT and 4.0 GPA.

Don't let stats like that let you feel like you are a shoe-in. Even though that might be true, keep pushing on and make you apps as good as possible! :) It will be worth it when it is all over. Not too hard to get in there and shadow, though. Awesome stats, good luck! :thumbup:

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 30, 2003
      1. Medical Student
        PittMedicine said:

Just go shadow a DO over the Christmas break, and then get a letter. It's not that difficult. Contact your local state osteopathic association or nearest osteopathic medical school for willing participants.

guppy249

10+ Year Member
        Jun 29, 2005
          Check each school's admissions webpage to see if it is just suggested or if it is actually required. I know Pikeville not only requires D.O. letter, but that D.O. has to be a member of the AOA!

That being said, while a D.O. letter is preferred, every admissions counselor I have spoken to says that a letter from a M.D. who knows you and can attest to your interest in holistic medical practice is better than a letter from a D.O. who does not know you very well.

Good luck!

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
          10+ Year Member
          Apr 10, 2005
          1. Attending Physician
            I have no physician letter and have acceptances from 3 DO schools, so not all of them require one. It may be best to check web sites or call admissions offices.

No letter required from OUCOM, MSUCOM and WVSOM.

jbone

Herro!
            10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Sep 17, 2005
            Some freakin corn field in Iowa
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              I was accepted into a number of schools that required a letter from a DO only, and I only had a MD letter. I explained to them of my situation (my MD letter was from someone who really knew me and could tell them of my desire of becomming a physician) and for the most part, they accepted the MD letter just fine. I would call first to make sure though. FYI, OSU told me hell no, but oh well :thumbdown: . Good luck.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.