Letter from IR attending for my DR Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding my letter of recommendations for this upcoming cycle. I will be applying strictly DR (not really interested in going the IR route). I will be (hopefully) getting my LORs from:

1. The attending on my internal medicine sub-I
  2. A DR who I've worked with over the past few years
  3. An attending from one of my core rotations who I had a good relationship with

I also did a 2-week rotation with an IR as part of my core surgical rotation who I had a really good relationship with and wrote me a LOR from my VSAS application. I was thinking about possibly asking him if he would be interested in being one of my letter writers for my ERAS application as well. My questions are:

• Would having this fourth letter make a drastic impact on my application? This isn't a research letter, just someone who thought highly of me when I rotated through his service for 2 weeks.
  • Would a letter from an IR make it seem like I'm more focused on IR and turn DR programs off to my application?

Thank you, I really appreciate anyone willing to offer their advice.

Members don't see this ad.

My only rads letter going to be written (as of this moment in time) is an IR letter; commenting to follow the thread. I'm also applying strictly DR, but I have some interest for IR down the road.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding my letter of recommendations for this upcoming cycle. I will be applying strictly DR (not really interested in going the IR route). I will be (hopefully) getting my LORs from:

1. The attending on my internal medicine sub-I
  2. A DR who I've worked with over the past few years
  3. An attending from one of my core rotations who I had a good relationship with

I also did a 2-week rotation with an IR as part of my core surgical rotation who I had a really good relationship with and wrote me a LOR from my VSAS application. I was thinking about possibly asking him if he would be interested in being one of my letter writers for my ERAS application as well. My questions are:

• Would having this fourth letter make a drastic impact on my application? This isn't a research letter, just someone who thought highly of me when I rotated through his service for 2 weeks.
  • Would a letter from an IR make it seem like I'm more focused on IR and turn DR programs off to my application?

Thank you, I really appreciate anyone willing to offer their advice.
1. No. For the vast majority of applicants, LOR don't have that much of an impact. Most everyone has good letters and DR letters don't say that much since it's pretty much just observing. A small group of people will have bad / questionable letters and a small group will have exceptional / big name letters that can have a significant impact. That being said if you're confident that it'll be a good letter then use it.

2. No. Just have the attending mention that you're doing diagnostic. People likely wont even make it that far with your app until the interview stage at which point they may ask you and you just tell the truth.

Reactions: 1 users

1) No
2) Should be 'No' but who knows.