Letter of Intent before acceptance results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahAmoret

Reaction score
I interviewed at my #1 school and I LOVED it. They don't send out admission decisions for another three weeks, is it appropriate to send a letter of intent before I've been waitlisted (if I get waitlisted), or are they only appropriate when waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume that they’re more impactful for people on the waitlist, but I don’t see the harm in sending one now if you’re really sure. If you do end up being waitlisted, you can just follow up with another one.

I interviewed at my #1 school and I LOVED it. They don't send out admission decisions for another three weeks, is it appropriate to send a letter of intent before I've been waitlisted (if I get waitlisted), or are they only appropriate when waitlisted?
And how would you interpret a non binding contract from a desperate candidate?

Or you're at a bar, and you hear this guy saying to some gal "But I'll still respect you in the morning!"

???

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hard no to the LOI. LOIs are only acceptable under one circumstance: You hold an acceptance to a far better program (program X) and you are waitlisted at the worse program (program Y). You can write an LOI in this instance and tell them you have been accepted at program X but their program (Y) is your top choice. This would be appropriate. Other than this a LOI really isnt going to do anything for you. If i had a dollar for the number of times an LOI thread was made on sdn id have paid off all my med school loans by now lmao

• Love
Reactions: 1 user