Letter of Intent Before Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cactusflower87

Reaction score
So I have a question that I can't seem to find anywhere, and I'm sure some ADCOMs here can shed some light on this topic.

I have read in multiple occasions that Letters of Intent are oftentimes not taken seriously / do not hold much weight to ADCOMs because students don't really mean it or they send it and then take it back after hearing from another school (I've seen a few posts about this happening here). I have also seen a handful of schools that explicitly say they aren't interested in letters of intent or even letters of interest.

I have an interview invite to my top choice (family ties, research interests, location, etc.) (it is not my only interview invite, I have 4 so far)... but they send all their decisions at once next year. I would go to this school in a heartbeat over every single school I applied to. They say they welcome letters of intent and letters of interest. Would there be any harm in sending a letter of intent to this school about a month or so after my interview / while they are on their process of making decisions? I feel like sending it after being placed on a WL won't really have that much of an effect...

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a question that I can't seem to find anywhere, and I'm sure some ADCOMs here can shed some light on this topic.

I have read in multiple occasions that Letters of Intent are oftentimes not taken seriously / do not hold much weight to ADCOMs because students don't really mean it or they send it and then take it back after hearing from another school (I've seen a few posts about this happening here). I have also seen a handful of schools that explicitly say they aren't interested in letters of intent or even letters of interest.

I have an interview invite to my top choice (family ties, research interests, location, etc.) (it is not my only interview invite, I have 4 so far)... but they send all their decisions at once next year. I would go to this school in a heartbeat over every single school I applied to. They say they welcome letters of intent and letters of interest. Would there be any harm in sending a letter of intent to this school about a month or so after my interview / while they are on their process of making decisions? I feel like sending it after being placed on a WL won't really have that much of an effect...

TIA
There is a wide variety of views on updates/LOIs among the admissions directors and deans I've interviewed. The responses range from" we welcome them and use them" (especially updates) to "we discourage and disregard entirely."

If your #1 school welcomes them, it makes sense for you to send an update, provided you have something worthwhile to say. You can certainly say you will immediately accept an offer of admissions if true, but more important than making that declaration, is providing meaningful reasons without merely repeating your secondary. Your interview experience should provide you with additional reasons for wanting to attend that schools. Also follow the program's social media and try to interact with current students so that your insight into the program and its culture is growing. Then you'll have something meaningful to say both at your interview and following it. Also include any updates in this email -- not just a declaration of intent.

Finally, make sure you send a thank you within a couple of days following your interview and well before this email.

Reactions: 1 users
Why don't you just express your strong interest in the school and the reasons for this at the actual interview day?

Reactions: 1 users