Letter of Intent - Naming slightly lower ranked school A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdac

Reaction score
Am I able to mention that i have an A at USC/Emory in a LOI to Cornell? What's the maximum gap in terms of "prestige" in being able to name other medical schools? (ie: Although I am accepted to Emory/USC SOM, if accepted to WCMC, I will withdraw from all other medical school acceptances and applications and attend). I would definitely go if accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I able to mention that i have an A at USC/Emory in a LOI to Cornell? What's the maximum gap in terms of "prestige" in being able to name other medical schools? (ie: Although I am accepted to Emory/USC SOM, if accepted to WCMC, I will withdraw from all other medical school acceptances and applications and attend). I would definitely go if accepted.
They won't care.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would send you maps to Emory and USC.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Sometimes we have an applicant right on the cusp of being offered admission. We feel sad not to have room for this excellent candidate but we just can't stretch beyond our limits. Hearing from you and knowing that you got into a good school makes us feel good. Therefore, these letters are very helpful to us but not in the way you intend.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
You got in there? That's great. Let's give someone else a shot then we'll may not have an acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes we have an applicant right on the cusp of being offered admission. We feel sad not to have room for this excellent candidate but we just can't stretch beyond our limits. Hearing from you and knowing that you got into a good school makes us feel good. Therefore, these letters are very helpful to us but not in the way you intend.
To ask the opposite, should the applicant ever mention that they don't have another A in a letter of intent, or is that also seen unfavorably? My gut tells me it feels a bit desperate but unsure. I would appreciate your thoughts!

I don't have a date for the prom, no one has even asked any of my friends if I'd be open to an invite. Will you ask me? Please?

Yeah, it is as desperate as it sounds.

Reactions: 2 users
To ask the opposite, should the applicant ever mention that they don't have another A in a letter of intent, or is that also seen unfavorably? My gut tells me it feels a bit desperate but unsure. I would appreciate your thoughts!
How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate applicant?

Reactions: 1 users
How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate applicant?
If I were to put myself in the spot of someone on the admissions committee, I would be more inclined to accept a student I see good potential in that does not have another A rather than a student with five other A's. There is a lot of conflicting information on how to "properly" write a letter of intent without sounding desperate but adequately expressing passion for a certain school.

I would be more inclined to accept a student I see good potential in that does not have another A rather than a student with five other A's.
The issue of other acceptances does not usually come into play when decisions are made.
Until PTE (and especially CTE) season, there is no way to know if there really are other acceptances. Furthermore, we have no way of knowing where those acceptances may be.

Rarely, there may be an occasion at the very end of the cycle when a seat opens up unexpectedly. In that case (all things being equal), accepting someone without a spot is more convenient as they do not need to wait for a financial aid package or do a "pros and cons" list in order to make a decision.

Even those who have sent a heart-wrenching letter of intent will take the maximum amount of time to make a decision. The outcome of that decision is unpredictable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users