Letter of Interest and Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingillini122

Reaction score
I am currently on delayed decision at my top school. I have shadowed a faculty member in the past who conducts interviews for the medical school. They recommended I send a letter of interest now, reaffirming my interest and thanking them for the continued consideration, and then a letter of intent later when they are re-reviewing applicants. They said this school is very big on hearing that their applicants are interested. Personally, this seems like doing too much; however, I don't want to not listen to the advice of this faculty member and then always wonder "what if?"

Any advice on this topic is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently on delayed decision at my top school. I have shadowed a faculty member in the past who conducts interviews for the medical school. They recommended I send a letter of interest now, reaffirming my interest and thanking them for the continued consideration, and then a letter of intent later when they are re-reviewing applicants. They said this school is very big on hearing that their applicants are interested. Personally, this seems like doing too much; however, I don't want to not listen to the advice of this faculty member and then always wonder "what if?"
You have someone with insider knowledge telling you that their school loves to hear from interested applicants. Unless you know someone else who has insider knowledge at this school (or are willing to disclose which school this is in hopes someone on here does), you won't be getting better advice. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
This school is likely very big on seeing their students follow explicit instructions. :) If you want to go out with a king/queen, you need to show it. Unless they say otherwise, if the "hidden curriculum" says send them valentines, send them valentines (and chocolate).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sitting down to write my letter of interest but am coming up completely blank on how to do so. I recently wrote them an update letter to tell them about a publication. However, I have no other updates since then. I am only continuing work that I put down in my expected hours in AMCAS. Can I write a letter that only says I am interested and offers nothing else?

What recent experiences have deepened your interest in the school that you haven't written (or told) them about previously? Have you interacted with any current students that told you something intriguing? (if not, how about setting up a call or coffee chat) Have you had any experiences recently (that they don't know about) that would help show your fit with their mission or that have caused you to identify even more with their mission than you did six months ago? anything that would increase your interest in a particular aspect of their program, one that is distinctive to them

Possible Structure:

Thank you for your continued interest ....

I am writing to share a recent experience that....

In addition to sharing the above experience(s), I would like to also express my continued and indeed increased interest in attending.... Thank you again for your consideration.

Sincerely,

It doesn't need to be long. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
What have recent experiences have deepened your interest in the school that you haven't written (or told) them about previously? Have you interacted with any current students that told you something intriguing? (if not, how about setting up a call or coffee date) Have you had any experiences recently (that they don't know about) that would help show your fit with their mission or that have caused you to identify even more with their mission than you did six months ago? anything that would increase your interest in a particular aspect of their program, one that is distinctive to them

Possible Structure:

Thank you for your continued interest ....

I am writing to share a recent experience that....

In addition to sharing the above experience(s), I would like to also express my continued and indeed increased interest in attending.... Thank you again for your consideration.

Sincerely,

It doesn't need to be long. Good luck!
Thank you so much. That is unbelievably helpful

Reactions: 1 user
You're most welcome. Good luck!
I was hoping to bring back this thread as I am getting ready to write my letter of intent. With no major updates (some minor ones), what is the best way to write my letter of intent? Should I re-explain my fit and explain what I like about the school again in this letter?

I wouldn't repeat or redo anything. Don't tell them what they already took the time to read or learn. Do tell them something new that you believe enhances your candidacy or shows your alignment with their community and program.

I suggested in my previous post that perhaps you want to arrange a coffee chat (can be virtual) with a current student or recent alum. You could then incorporate any insights you glean from this meeting into your update.

I wouldn't repeat or redo anything. Don't tell them what they already took the time to read or learn. Do tell them something new that you believe enhances your candidacy or shows your alignment with their community and program.

I suggested in my previous post that perhaps you want to arrange a coffee chat (can be virtual) with a current student or recent alum. You could then incorporate any insights you glean from this meeting into your update.
I actually took your advice and met with an M4 who gave me lots of great insight! I made to sure to include that in my letter of interest. Can the letter of intent simply be that? Intent? Or is that too weak without any additional updates?

I'm not sure what you mean by is intent too weak, but I'll go with what I think you meant.

I'm glad you found the meeting helpful. I think your letter of intent can include some of the insights you gleaned from the M4 that demonstrate your alignment with the program and also increased your interest. Actually, the fact that you met with him/her already demonstrates interest and initiative.

If that's what you have, go with that. If you have something else worthwhile to tell them, include it too.

Again it's not the quantity that counts. You're not going to get brownie points for more, especially if the "more" is repetitive or not valuable. What counts is the substance and providing information.

I hope I addressed your question.

I'm not sure what you mean by is intent too weak, but I'll go with what I think you meant.

I'm glad you found the meeting helpful. I think your letter of intent can include some of the insights you gleaned from the M4 that demonstrate your alignment with the program and also increased your interest. Actually, the fact that you met with him/her already demonstrates interest and initiative.

If that's what you have, go with that. If you have something else worthwhile to tell them, include it too.

Again it's not the quantity that counts. You're not going to get brownie points for more, especially if the "more" is repetitive or not valuable. What counts is the substance and providing information.

I hope I addressed your question.
Yes you absolutely addressed it. Thank you very much! I know the school finds letters of intent to be important so I will keep the letter short, and without repeating information. Thank you again!

Yes you absolutely addressed it. Thank you very much! I know the school finds letters of intent to be important so I will keep the letter short, and without repeating information. Thank you again!
Please keep us posted.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users