Letter of Interest Or Don't Bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plauplau

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I have one MSTP I interviewed at that I feel very strongly about wanting to attend. They make their decisions mid-December, and I was wondering if I should send them an update letter to indicate I'm still very much interested in their program. I feel like they are my top choice, but there are a couple extra variables that might affect my decision later on, so not sure if I would say outright that they are my top choice (rather, I'd say something like "this program is uniquely suited to what I am looking for in an MD/PhD"). I have some stuff to update them on, but nothing I would really go out of my way to say (like I won't be writing to other schools about updates because they just aren't that big a deal). The letter would be mainly to indicate I am still interested. I definitely indicated that in my thank you notes, but I get the feeling most thank you note are that way. So do you guys think I should indicate my interest or will it not do much (or worse, hurt me for some reason)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if saying that will make you stand out from any other applicant. Is it rolling admissions (would you likely be put on a waitlist if you didn't get in in December)? General advice would be to wait until the end of your cycle, and then send a letter of intent to your top choice.

I believe they do waitlisting, but all decisions (R, A, or W) are sent out at once. The thought is more to just emphasize my interest, but that may not matter since they respond fairly quickly (2 month turnaround)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's totally up to you. Assuming your thank you note emphasized your interest in the school and the things you enjoyed about your visit, I'm not sure how helpful this letter of interest would be.

My premed office told me it was early as well to send LOIs but since I knew I had a clear no. 1 - to send it anyways. It can't hurt you - and it helps if you have a sig. update (my paper got accepted) to accompany it.

no updates unfortunately:/ gave a poster presentation since applying, but if anything I’ve learned the papers I was waiting on are going to be even more delayed. I just wanna let them know that I’m still very interested, reiterate why I think I’m uniquely suited for their program blah blah blah. And of course be sure that sending this letter won’t hurt me in any way.

no updates unfortunately:/ gave a poster presentation since applying, but if anything I’ve learned the papers I was waiting on are going to be even more delayed. I just wanna let them know that I’m still very interested, reiterate why I think I’m uniquely suited for their program blah blah blah. And of course be sure that sending this letter won’t hurt me in any way.

I don't think it will hurt you to send this letter w/ your poster and interest. I just don't think it will massively help. /mytwocents

I don't think it will hurt you to send this letter w/ your poster and interest. I just don't think it will massively help. /mytwocents
Hey that's fine. Anything to scream into the void, right?

Reactions: 1 user