Letter of recommendation from no science professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman_up

Colorado SDM 2026
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had an interesting, very non traditional education experience due to the military, moving a lot, and COVID. Due to this, I haven't had a single science professor that knows me well enough to write a letter of rec. I know that a lot of schools state they require one or more letters of rec from science professors, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience applying with no letters of rec from the sciences? I recently spoke with someone that is on the committee of my state school and while he said it is certainly preferred, he has never seen someone get denied from the school due to not having the proper letters of recommendation, especially if they interview well.

I will make one more attempt this semester, but if it does not work, I will be using 3 or 4 letters of recommendation from dentists and surgeons I worked with from my time in the military. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i think the fact that you're using letters of rec from dentists and surgeons is still really great and obviously relevant to the field. I know a lot of schools say they "prefer" letters of rec from science proffesors but it isn't a hard requirement, so you may have to do some digging.

I have had an interesting, very non traditional education experience due to the military, moving a lot, and COVID. Due to this, I haven't had a single science professor that knows me well enough to write a letter of rec. I know that a lot of schools state they require one or more letters of rec from science professors, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience applying with no letters of rec from the sciences? I recently spoke with someone that is on the committee of my state school and while he said it is certainly preferred, he has never seen someone get denied from the school due to not having the proper letters of recommendation, especially if they interview well.

I will make one more attempt this semester, but if it does not work, I will be using 3 or 4 letters of recommendation from dentists and surgeons I worked with from my time in the military. Any suggestions?
Off topic, but what was your MOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Be sure to look at the requirements for the schools you want to apply to! Most schools do require 1-2 letters to be from professors. I ended up having to ask a professor who did not know me at all to write me one and luckily I got in. I also asked one of my science TAs and that was able to pass as a science professor.