Letter of Recommendation - Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dilemma in getting a letter of recommendation from a professor, who I think knows me well. I took a class with him, in which I did mediocre and wasn't really the best student. However, the professor was really great and I appreciated every day learning in that class. A year later I've approached him and he has been helpful in assisting me with a project I am working on. As I know, generally you should have a few letters 2 science and 1 non-science, and then character letters from your PI, etc. I have many potential character letter writers but I was wondering what a good choice for this professor would be? Do you have to select between the 2 when asking them to write a letter?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like this letter would count as a professor letter (especially if you have lots of opportunity for letters outside of professors already). :)

Would it matter if I got a B in their class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it matter if I got a B in their class?

Was it a tough course? Also a B is not what you call 'mediocre' - unless that was a cupcake course where everyone tends to get A's.

I still think you can get a LOR from the prof

It's just that the professor cannot state that you excelled academically in his class, cause after all you didn't get an A. I had a similar situation when I requested LoR from a professor but he said he can't write me a strong letter because I received a B+ in his course. He was willing to write me a mediocre one, which I opted out from it.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you have a good relationship-- I would just have a frank conversation about how the professor would characterize your performance in the class, you want a letter from someone who is motivated to help you get into school and will portray you in the most positive light possible. It isn't like schools won't see that you have a (gasp!) B on your transcript. You just want to make sure the professor speaks highly of your participation and enthusiasm or whatever in class and doesn't "damn you with faint praise"-- the letter could be entirely focused on your collaboration after the class and scarcely mention the class.

In general different schools have different requirements but many require two letters from science professor who taught you in a class. There is no "character letter", all letters should speak to your character as relevant to a professional context (like work, school, volunteering--not just a family friend) however depending on the school you can any number of letters from non-professors. You don't have to send all your letters to all the schools, so it is probably worth it to pursue this letter even if you only need it for some schools with strict professor letter requirements.

I agree with some of the posters above. A "B" should be fine if it was a difficult course, especially since you say your relationship with this professor has developed.

Two of my LORs came from really tough courses in which I got B+s (granted one of them was my PI of three years lol) Worked out for me!

It will really narrow down your options for schools to apply to if you only have 1 science professor (or have 0 non-science professors). +1 to @toast 's comment
I also got a letter from a prof after getting a B in her course (and based on our conversations about the letter and our relationship, I am guessing it was really strong). Their impression of you is more important than the grade.