Letter of Recommendation: Only 1 Science Professor. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galma89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school next year (2020) but I graduated in December. I have taken many science classes throughout undergrad but for some reason never asked for a LOR during my first 2-3 years. I think I just hadn't decided on medicine at that point. I took two more upper level bio courses my senior year that were taught by the same professor, and he said he would right me a LOR, which I feel will be a pretty good letter. I also have a LOR from a humanities class professor I took as well as from physicians who said they would write me letters. Lastly, I have one from a national organization I have been working/volunteering for. That being said, I am missing out on ONE letter. Is it worth it to take an extra science course at my community college for the sake of getting a letter? What would you do?

The CC near me offers a classed called "Biology of Human Diseases." So maybe I can take that? Idk if I have time for a class like anatomy or microbiology because of my work schedule. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

A science LOR is to show that you can handle the rigors and course load of medical school. That you work hard. Typically you get these from the core required classes. You can reach out to old professors and ask them. Offer to meet in person so they can get to know you as well as a CV. These letters mean more the others which are simply character references. A letter from a one-time CC course that you're not guaranteed to get a letter from anyways is a waste.