Letter of Recommendation----Please answer question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all of you newly-matched MD/DOs out there! I have a very important question for you.

I have heard that doing research is important. If I do research in a particular field, anesthesiology for instance, with a PH.D. researcher (who works inside the medical school).

Here is my question: I want to use this guy for a reference when it comes time to apply. CAN I USE HIM FOR A LETTER OF REFERENCE, EVEN THOUGH HE'S NOT A "M.D."?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers, Frank

Members don't see this ad.

You can have your grandmother write a recommendation for you if you want.

The issue, of course, is whether that letter of recommendation -- assuming that it speaks highly of you -- has enough charm to woo the people reading it.

If your PhD person is well know in the field, certainly use that to your benefit. If the programs to which you are applying are heavily (or more so) academic, then a letter from a PhD might be beneficial.

In most cases, the best letters to put into your portfolio are from well-known people in your field.

To quote Spock: "Everything else is a waste of material."

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bigfrank:
•Hello all of you newly-matched MD/DOs out there! I have a very important question for you.

I have heard that doing research is important. If I do research in a particular field, anesthesiology for instance, with a PH.D. researcher (who works inside the medical school).

Here is my question: I want to use this guy for a reference when it comes time to apply. CAN I USE HIM FOR A LETTER OF REFERENCE, EVEN THOUGH HE'S NOT A "M.D."?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers, Frank•••••

It is generally preferred that letters come from attending MDs/DOs for the simple reason that they have an idea about what it takes to succeed in medical school, residency and practice as a physician. They would also be presumably better about assessing candidates for such positions than a PhD.

However, like all "rules" there are exceptions - if your PhD researcher is well respected in your institution a LOR from him/her at THAT institution (unless he was reknowned elsewhere) might be suitable. However, the NRMP does not specify that letters must come from physicians.

Hope this helps.