Letter of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

John Scotty

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDNers,

Regarding LORs, I have a question on if I should submit one that I received from a nurse that I worked with/under at a hospital. I volunteered on the same floor for a little over a year doing basic tasks (stocking, getting water for patients, etc.) and befriended a nurse on the floor who would write me a great, warm-hearted letter supporting my candidacy for medical school. However, will it not be looked upon that well because I am receiving it from a nurse? Or does it not particularly matter, as long as the LOR is good? Thanks guys!
 
Hi SDNers,

Regarding LORs, I have a question on if I should submit one that I received from a nurse that I worked with/under at a hospital. I volunteered on the same floor for a little over a year doing basic tasks (stocking, getting water for patients, etc.) and befriended a nurse on the floor who would write me a great, warm-hearted letter supporting my candidacy for medical school. However, will it not be looked upon that well because I am receiving it from a nurse? Or does it not particularly matter, as long as the LOR is good? Thanks guys!
Just list them as the contact in your EC's. No letter needed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for responding. Wouldn't it help though? If I wanted to have good letters I feel like this would be a better letter than others I could possibly get.
The strongest letters come from professors or PI's who have taught you. Next are employers. Last are volunteer supervisors and physician shadowing letters. Dead last are friends of family...