Letter of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niceguydoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a q about lor that I essentially know the answer to, but was wondering if i can get some feedback on. Is it better to get a letter from an attending whom you have worked w/ alongside for 2 weeks (out of a 4 week rotation) and knows you extremely well, and can write you a glowing and fantastic letter, or is it wiser to get a letter from a well respected faculty member that is well known throughout the anesthesiology world; the only catch is that w/ the latter, it's going to be a generic letter w/o much substance since i've only worked w/ this person 2 days out of the month. I figure it's better to go w/ the outstanding letter, but how much weight do you think a generic letter from a well known anesthesiologist carries ?(someone that is well known and has made numerous contributions to texts, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

The one who knows you extremely well.

Or you could try getting both, and deciding what to submit later.

I would get both if possible, most programs require 3 LOR, but often accept up to 4. I do not think doing more than what is required would hurt you in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
niceguydoc said:
Hey guys, I have a q about lor that I essentially know the answer to, but was wondering if i can get some feedback on. Is it better to get a letter from an attending whom you have worked w/ alongside for 2 weeks (out of a 4 week rotation) and knows you extremely well, and can write you a glowing and fantastic letter, or is it wiser to get a letter from a well respected faculty member that is well known throughout the anesthesiology world; the only catch is that w/ the latter, it's going to be a generic letter w/o much substance since i've only worked w/ this person 2 days out of the month. I figure it's better to go w/ the outstanding letter, but how much weight do you think a generic letter from a well known anesthesiologist carries ?(someone that is well known and has made numerous contributions to texts, etc).

Here is what I would do. Ask each attending individually if they would be willing to write you a letter and then gauge their response. This will sometimes give you a feel of what your letter will be like. If you think they will both write you good letters, use them both. I submitted four letters for the upcoming match (most programs require three).

ultm8frisbee said:
Here is what I would do. Ask each attending individually if they would be willing to write you a letter and then gauge their response.

Passing on some advice I got during med school....ask (insert favorite attending here) if he/she would feel comfortable writing you a STRONG letter of recommendation...that's ultimately what you want and allows them a graceful exit if they so desire.

They would both be glad to write me a letter of rec. It's just a matter of which letter would be more useful. the well known attending will write a very plain and generic letter since we haven't had much interactions, whereas the other attending will write an outstanding letter since we've worked together for 2 wks.

As far as submitting up to 4 letters on eras, shouldn't each letter be from a different field; is it acceptable to have 2/4 letters come from anesthesiology rotations? :confused:

Thanks for your help

niceguydoc said:
They would both be glad to write me a letter of rec. It's just a matter of which letter would be more useful. the well known attending will write a very plain and generic letter since we haven't had much interactions, whereas the other attending will write an outstanding letter since we've worked together for 2 wks.

As far as submitting up to 4 letters on eras, shouldn't each letter be from a different field; is it acceptable to have 2/4 letters come from anesthesiology rotations? :confused:

Nice guy, most programs will require you to have at least one letter from an anesthesiologist. As far as other letters, perhaps you could choose an attending from a critical care rotation, er, or internal medicine--all fields somewhat related to your chosen one. I think that the most important objective is to get strong letters from faculty who know you well. Trust me, residency selection committees can see judge the validity/relevance of letters.

get at least one letter from anesthesia and the rest from people who know you well (i would argue that 2 weeks exposure is a minimum for that to be the case).

on more than one instance during interviews i got comments about "strong letters" and 2/4 of the ones i used for anesthesia programs were not from anesthesiologists at all and they certainly were not "well known" to the interviewers. however, these were people i had worked with for 6-8 weeks over the course of an entire clerkship.

what shines about a letter are specifics and someone that speaks about you in highest regard. in fact, one program director commented to me that he pays attention when non-anesthesia letter writers say that they regret losing the candidate in question to a field not their own.

you should shoot for letter writers that feel that way about you regardless of their speciality. nobody really cares about your knack for anesthesia, rather the qualities that make you likable and trainable.

don't bother with the other potential letter writer unless you have no other options.

I agree with most of the above comments, but I would stress that the letters should come from people who know you well, whether that is an anesthesiologist or not. Yes, try to get a letter from at least one anesthesiologist, but don't freak out thinking you need to get big names or anything like that. The selection committees are looking more for general traits about you mentioned by your letter writers....that can come from an internist, pathologist, ob/gyn, pediatrician...whatever. Of the four letters I submitted, only one was from an anesthesiologist...the other three were much stronger and came from peds and ob/gyn. I got many compliments about those latter three letters on the trail and I think they served me just fine.