1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Letter of recommendation - when?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by silverlining1, Apr 6, 2007.

1. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    When should I tell my professors to turn in their letters of recommendation? I know that they are for the secondary, not primary round, but I'm not sure what a good deadline to tell them is. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would say maybe two months after you ask them for the letter (that should be plenty of time). Or ask them when they can have it finished (they know their schedule best). Profs are busy, so you want to give them plenty of time, but if it's too open ended, that's a green light to give it low priority.

4. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    As long as you have them all into your letter service by late July/early August you'll be in good shape.

5. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Wow, so late? Thanks for telling me. I had told one professor late June.

6. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That was my experience - if you seach for secondary info on schools for last year (there should be a whole thread of links somewhere), then you can get an idea of dates. But even though primaries go in early June I didn't see too many schools sending out secondaries until mid-July (very few), late July (lots), and early August (more). (you could also check out some mdapps - some people have their own personal timelines for each school)

And interviews don't really start until late August or early September. So getting everything in a month or so before can still get you early interviews and early acceptances.

7. fotografía

fotografía Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ask for them now. Profs are always slow. If your school packages them for you, then there's no reason why they can't arrive early.

8. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I have started asking for them, but I still need one or two more. My school does package them, but I want to give them as long as possible.

Thanks - those details are very helpful.