Letter of recommendation - when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I tell my professors to turn in their letters of recommendation? I know that they are for the secondary, not primary round, but I'm not sure what a good deadline to tell them is. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When should I tell my professors to turn in their letters of recommendation? I know that they are for the secondary, not primary round, but I'm not sure what a good deadline to tell them is. Thanks!

I would say maybe two months after you ask them for the letter (that should be plenty of time). Or ask them when they can have it finished (they know their schedule best). Profs are busy, so you want to give them plenty of time, but if it's too open ended, that's a green light to give it low priority.

As long as you have them all into your letter service by late July/early August you'll be in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have them all into your letter service by late July/early August you'll be in good shape.
Wow, so late? Thanks for telling me. I had told one professor late June.

Wow, so late? Thanks for telling me. I had told one professor late June.

That was my experience - if you seach for secondary info on schools for last year (there should be a whole thread of links somewhere), then you can get an idea of dates. But even though primaries go in early June I didn't see too many schools sending out secondaries until mid-July (very few), late July (lots), and early August (more). (you could also check out some mdapps - some people have their own personal timelines for each school)

And interviews don't really start until late August or early September. So getting everything in a month or so before can still get you early interviews and early acceptances.

Ask for them now. Profs are always slow. If your school packages them for you, then there's no reason why they can't arrive early.

fotografía;4994717 said:
Ask for them now. Profs are always slow. If your school packages them for you, then there's no reason why they can't arrive early.
I have started asking for them, but I still need one or two more. My school does package them, but I want to give them as long as possible.

That was my experience - if you seach for secondary info on schools for last year (there should be a whole thread of links somewhere), then you can get an idea of dates. But even though primaries go in early June I didn't see too many schools sending out secondaries until mid-July (very few), late July (lots), and early August (more). (you could also check out some mdapps - some people have their own personal timelines for each school)

And interviews don't really start until late August or early September. So getting everything in a month or so before can still get you early interviews and early acceptances.
Thanks - those details are very helpful.