Letter of Recommendation

Started by tiffin25
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiffin25

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all

Another post regarding rec letters... I have asked for a rec letter from a doc whom I thought would write a good one for me.

The problem is I asked him at the end of July and he has yet to write it for me. I have emailed and called numerous times and he has assured me that he would have it done by the end of LAST WEEK. what should i do? I am afraid that I will not be offered interview spots because only 2/3 rec letters are in. I have one rec letter from the PD at my home program and this one is from another anesthesiologist who went to Hopkins and is super nice and he liked me a lot. My second rec letter is from an internal medicine doc at MSKCC. Both are really good, but I am afraid because I am hounding the third letter writer so much, that if and when he writes it, it won't be as good.

I could get another letter from the same school and would be equally as good, but I am afraid that I have already put it down in ERAS that this guy will write the letter for me...

What to do???????? 😡

Sorry for the long post... but I am worried and don't know what to do.
 
Get both letters. It doesn't matter if your list of letter writers changes. What's important is the content. If you can get another good one, take it and if the original person you had in mind writes your letter at last, you can send that one in too.
 
thank you for your reply... you have always been extremely helpful.

just one last quick question... do you think it matters to get another anesthesiology letter. I have one from my home institution, but I did an away rotation at CCF and got an excellent eval and could ask someone else there or could ask someone from my psych rotation (he really liked me and asked me if I wanted to write a letter for me)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly no, but if you can get several more, I would go ahead and get them. At the very least, you can always use extra letters if you feel that an institution might be hedging on you. If the psych guy is psyched about writing a letter for you, I would take it as a strong endorsement from someone who examines personalities each day can only help in a program's evaluation of you.
 
thank you again ut... i just have one more question. i have asked the psych guy (but he has moved to another school!!!) and i have asked a couple of more people just in case. the main question i have is when should i have my third letter of rec in? should it be in by nov 1st at the latest?

thanks again!!!