Letter of Recommendations Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHOPSTIX

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I wanted to know if a school asks for 3 letters of recommendation and does not specify where the letters should come from, do you automatically assume all three must be from science professors or is it 2 science professors and 1 podiatrist letter? Also, does a letter from Calc 2 professor count as a science letter? I'm new to Podiatry so any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

each school is different. refer to their websites. i had one academic, two podiatrists, and two pharmacists write me a letter

I was wondering how this is done..

I am going to ask the DPM that I've been shadowing for a letter on Monday and I want to make sure I have everything figured out.

Do I just have my reccomenders write a letter on their own letterhead and submit it straight to the school? Or does it go to AACPM? Or does it go to me and I send it?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
provide the LOR writer with a self addressed stamped envelope of the mailing address of the school.

http://www.aacpm.org/html/collegelinks/cl_schools.asp

use the above link to get addresses for schools. they are sent directly there and a file will be created for you. When I called the application service they said some schools do electronic, but it is easier on everybody to manually mail them, since there is not a giant amount of applicants

I had my LOR writers send the letters directly to each school. I told each of them to write it on their department's letterhead and sign over the seal. Don't send them to AACPM (they are just there to steal your application money and send the app to each school ;)).

Geez airbud stole my thunder. Definetly have all of your LOR writers send them via snail mail. I think that some of the online application services only work if your professor is a member (which might not be the case). So to save trouble use the good ol'd USPS.

So if a school says "Three letters of reccommendation required", do I assume its 2 science and 1 Podiatrist or do I need to email the school to find out?

email them to find out. Better yet, CALL . It is good to talk to admissions people even if it is a small question. Show some personality. Trust me, they will remember you. I had short conversations over questions at both DMU with Gina and Scholl with Kim and they both recognized me at my interview.
Some schools are flexible and will view letters from pre-med advisory committees differently. Regardless of school, the letter from the podiatrist is necessary. Also, I would plan on at least one science, preferably upper level or anatomy/physiology/etc.