Letter of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freeapple123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When getting letters of recommendations, is it better to get one from an OD who is an alumni of that school or does it not matter?
Let me know! I am trying to get shadowing experiences but no luck really... At this point, I'll get what I can get!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When getting letters of recommendations, is it better to get one from an OD who is an alumni of that school or does it not matter?
Let me know! I am trying to get shadowing experiences but no luck really... At this point, I'll get what I can get!

If you are applying to a program, and there is a renown graduate from that program who can write a letter, that could be beneficial. If the graduate is a small town business owner, that will most likely be a dime-a-dozen. However, if this doc is involved/holds positions in local or state advocacy groups (AOA, etc), is a member of the American Academy of Optometry, is a member of the program's board, etc, the letter is far more likely to hold clout. Does that make sense?

If you are applying to a program, and there is a renown graduate from that program who can write a letter, that could be beneficial. If the graduate is a small town business owner, that will most likely be a dime-a-dozen. However, if this doc is involved/holds positions in local or state advocacy groups (AOA, etc), is a member of the American Academy of Optometry, is a member of the program's board, etc, the letter is far more likely to hold clout. Does that make sense?

Kinda... I don't think any of the doctors in my city is renowned or famous by any means.. I come from a fairly large city in Canada. Pretty sure they have to be a member of the Canadian Association of Optometrists and what not.

I don’t think it will matter too much, although my top choice school asked if I knew any alumni, their names, and their years of graduation. Both of my OD letters of recommendation were from alumni of the program, but I only applied to one school - I’ve worked with these ODs for 4 years, so it wasn’t necessarily intentional that I picked alumni. I don’t think it would hurt your application if your letters of rec are not from ODs