letter service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ausmil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about another letter thing. My school does not have a commitee or letter writing service. Is it essential that I use a letter writing service or can I have the Prof. send the letters directly to the medical schools? I would prefer not to use a service. If they arrive at different times is that ok? Will the Schools lost track if they are send different?

Members don't see this ad.

My school didn't have a committee either. What I did was ask each professor to send their letter to the med school, and to make it easier on them, I got envelopes with the dept. letterhead from them, printed the addresses on the envelopes, and stamped them. That way, all my writers had to do was put in their letter. That said, I turned in 28 secondaries (or smthg of that sort) and it became quite a hassle to keep track of every professor's letters. Obviously, they didn't get there all at the same time, but none of them got lost (not to my knowledge at least).

The frustrating thing was calling a school and having them tell you they're still waiting for a letter from one of the profs, even though your other letters had been there for months already, ya know? but it is definitely OK for them to arrive at diff times, the schools keep them all in your file.

If you're applying to a lot of schools, I would recommend using a service, and by August, I wished I had known about them before I started. It was SOO frustrating having to tell all those slacker profs over and over again to send them. Using a service, you only ask them to send it once, and you're done. for me, it was like....oh this person's on vacation for 3 weeks, he'll send them when he comes back, and trust me, during the secondary craze, the last thing you want to stress about is whether your letters have been sent. it takes them long enough to write them anyway. UGh I am so glad to have all that done with.

but if you trust that your writers will send them every time, and that they won't have a problem with it, the med schools don't mind. good luck!

If your school doesn't have a service, or if you've been out of school for a while, or if your letter service is notoriously slow, you might want to consider using Interfolio -- www.interfolio.com. (I don't work for them!) Their prices are about what I paid for my school-based service, and -- I've heard -- very reliable.

I'm having some drama right now regarding letters, and I'm really wishing I'd used Interfolio. Two of my friends who I did post-bac with used them and were very happy.

They also allow letter writers to upload letter files (Word, etc) onto their site -- very convenient for your professors who have embraced the internet age.

It also lets you verify if letters have been sent, a task that occupied my time daily during this last application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used interfolio and it is awesome. I recommend it to everyone, including those with a premed committee seriously it is so easy, reasonably affordable for the headaches it saves. I had zero problems, although one of my letter writers forgot to send in the tracking slip with the letter twice but not a reflection of the service, just absent minded proffs.
get interfolio use it, love it screw the committee/school crap. Also if you need lor's for other stuff (research, jobs etc) you don't have to go back and track down a letter writer just fire off your interfolio lor's, used the same med school references to land my sweet research juob before med school. The only good thing about the app process was me finding my one true love-INTERFOLIO

I'm just curious... why don't you want to use a service?

You will of course need to make sure that your recommenders are OK with doing all that work for you. Two of my professors would only send letters to a service -- they had gotten sick and tired of sending umpteen letters to umpteen schools. Even if you give them the preaddressed stamped envelopes, it's still a hassle for them to make all the copies and get them all sent out. When you multiply that work by however many students are asking for letters, I don't blame them for wanting to just send one copy to a letter service. In their shoes, I'd do the same.

Interfolio is awesome. I am so glad I used their service.