Letter writer asking for other recommendations normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Johnwicksdog

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did research with and shadowed a doctor last last summer who I was pretty close with. Recently asked him for a letter of recc which he seemed happy to write but he's asking me to send him my "school letters" for reference aka the letters I got from my university professors. Is this normal, not even sure what he means. Should I just send him the 5 professor letters I have stored in Interfolio? Anyone else experience this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. You don’t really “have” those letters because you’ve waived the chance to see them. He needs the guide on what to write
Yah that makes sense, I did already give him the guide a while back. So I actually just went ahead and sent them to him after I posted through interfolio, is this an issue? Again, not sure what he's looking for but only thing I care about is maintaining the validity of the letters for AMCAS so I hope i'm good right?
 
He might be asking to review your letters for you (and possibly let you know if there's a bad one). I don't know if this is allowed tho (or rather if you would get caught because interfolio is careful about where letters got sent).