letters of evaluation from science instructors = science professor who I worked with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know two professors (who also teach) personally very well. But the problem is that I have never taken their courses before. I know them as an employees in their lab before.

Some schools (i.e UOP) require two letter of evaluation/reference from instructors. Can I use these two professors I know for letter of evaluation/reference from instructors. Or, do I must go ask two instructors that have actually taught me before?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I know two professors (who also teach) personally very well. But the problem is that I have never taken their courses before. I know them as an employees in their lab before.

Some schools (i.e UOP) require two letter of evaluation/reference from instructors. Can I use these two professors I know for letter of evaluation/reference from instructors. Or, do I must go ask two instructors that have actually taught me before?

Thanks,

I think they require LORs from professors who have taught you. Otherwise you can just go to any ol professor who just happens to be your friend and have them write the LOR for you.

I tried it. Not at UOP but I tried it. If the letter doesn't say that you were in their class and the admissions people are looking for a letter that says you were in their class ... I didn't get lucky. You might. Of course, they didn't tell me they didn't consider the letter sufficient until it was too late to interview and here I sit reapplying.+pity+ You might get lucky. Of course, you could alway submit the letter while tracking down another LOR from an instructor. If you do submit it, I recommend calling as soon as you think they got the LOR and asking if your application is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
mmm..That is kinda lame. Why would they want LOR from the profs whom you've taken class with? Can they just evaluate the ability to perform in academic by looking at the grade?

I guess I will just be bold going to two of my science profs who taught 200+ students. All my classes have 200+ students.

Are letters from science instructor that important at all? If so, I am thinking doing a research project course with my current lab supvisor, so she can say that she already taught me. The bad thing about that it is going to eat away a big chunk of time boosting up my current low GPA 3.26. Thanks!

Do they count PSYCH instructor as sci professor?

I believe they prefer BCP professors...