Letters of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrMunkily

Rogue One
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the proper way to send a letter of intent? Do they really help? How would I go about writing one?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, if you really like a school, just email the director and say, "I really like your school." I would probably only send an email after you have interviewed, but I think it can help tremendously.

David Engman at Northwestern also said that keeping the administration informed of your situation and hopes helps the admissions committee when they consider you.

do you send the LOI in addition to thank you note in which u already stated that u really liked the school, or you think that will just be too much? by the way, i was inteviewed by the direcor of the program to whom i wrote this type of thank you note.I was also wandering, is the timing of sending LOI like probably better before the committee meets to make selection, or after they have and u were unfortunately waitlisted?

IMHO, you should just send them a no bullcrap email telling them the truth (two cards may be overkill). If the school is your top choice, tell them. Tell them what you like about the program and why you want to attend.