Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Letters of Intent

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by MrMunkily, Nov 20, 2005.

1. MrMunkily

MrMunkily Rogue One
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What would be the proper way to send a letter of intent? Do they really help? How would I go about writing one?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. izibo

izibo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To be honest, if you really like a school, just email the director and say, "I really like your school." I would probably only send an email after you have interviewed, but I think it can help tremendously.

David Engman at Northwestern also said that keeping the administration informed of your situation and hopes helps the admissions committee when they consider you.

4. nadica31

nadica31 Future Oncologyst
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    do you send the LOI in addition to thank you note in which u already stated that u really liked the school, or you think that will just be too much? by the way, i was inteviewed by the direcor of the program to whom i wrote this type of thank you note.I was also wandering, is the timing of sending LOI like probably better before the committee meets to make selection, or after they have and u were unfortunately waitlisted?

5. izibo

izibo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

IMHO, you should just send them a no bullcrap email telling them the truth (two cards may be overkill). If the school is your top choice, tell them. Tell them what you like about the program and why you want to attend.