letters of rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the delimma of not knowing any of my professors in huge classes. I accept that, so I think I will just try and specific profs to write me a rec after meeting with them and such. But what's the best way to approach this? Is it more effective to write them an email introducing myself, and asking if we can meet so they can get to know me better, or should I try to find them when they're at their office so it's more personable when I ask them in person? Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Suey said:
So I'm in the delimma of not knowing any of my professors in huge classes. I accept that, so I think I will just try and specific profs to write me a rec after meeting with them and such. But what's the best way to approach this? Is it more effective to write them an email introducing myself, and asking if we can meet so they can get to know me better, or should I try to find them when they're at their office so it's more personable when I ask them in person? Any advice is appreciated!

Well, if you know the professors well enough that you feel comfortable asking them to write you a letter of recommendation, then do you really need to write an email introducing yourself?

I think some face time might more beneficial, especially if they haven't seen you in a while so that talking to them in person can jog their memory of you. A good time to meet them is during their office hours.

However, as I eluded to above, I think the bigger issue is how well your professor(s) know you, and thus, how good of a recommendation will they write you.

Good luck,
Sam

SamDC said:
Well, if you know the professors well enough that you feel comfortable asking them to write you a letter of recommendation, then do you really need to write an email introducing yourself?

I think some face time might more beneficial, especially if they haven't seen you in a while so that talking to them in person can jog their memory of you. A good time to meet them is during their office hours.

However, as I eluded to above, I think the bigger issue is how well your professor(s) know you, and thus, how good of a recommendation will they write you.

Good luck,
Sam

I meant to say that I don't know any of my professors b/c I go to a large university. I've tried going to OHs and such but usually there are so many students in there, so I never had a chance to get to know them in a setting outside of classroom discussions. I've read through SDN and talking to other people before that went through situations like mine, and the overall advice was that I could just ask past professors and meet with them so they do get to know me and also provide them with my CV and PS.

So for people who were in my similar situation, what is the best method to approach a professor who doesn't know me well to write a letter? To email them or find them in their office?