Letters of Rec Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pr9301

Reaction score
I am applying for the 2020 cycle for both MD and DO schools. Bear with me, I have a ton of questions just on letters of rec.
Is it normal to waive access to your rights for the letters of rec? Do profs or doctors usually let you see the letter of rec before it is submitted? If I have one MD, and 2 professor letters of rec is that enough? Are letters of rec based off a template considered bad or not thoughtful enough?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying for the 2020 cycle for both MD and DO schools. Bear with me, I have a ton of questions just on letters of rec.
Is it normal to waive access to your rights for the letters of rec? Do profs or doctors usually let you see the letter of rec before it is submitted? If I have one MD, and 2 professor letters of rec is that enough? Are letters of rec based off a template considered bad or not thoughtful enough?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Is it normal to waive access? Yes

Do profs or docs let you see the LOR beforehand?
No

1 MD + 2 Proff enough? The rule of thumb is 1 physician (for DO schools), 2 science proffs and 1 non-science proff. The LOR requirements vary by school though

Are LORs based off a template bad? Probably not

Reactions: 1 users
I would waive, it looks like your hiding something if you don't. Don't put any doubt into the med schools minds that you have anything to hide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some adcom said that they won't even look at a LOR if it is not confidential.

1. Is it normal to waive access to your rights for the letters of rec? Yes. I don't think they can even be accepted if you don't waive.
  2. Do profs or doctors usually let you see the letter of rec before it is submitted? I've heard of people getting to see theirs but it's not that norm.
  3. If I have one MD, and 2 professor letters of rec is that enough? Most pre-med committees and DO schools I've applied to ask for one physician (some prefer a DO, some require a DO) and two science professors who have taught you, as well as one non-science professor.
  4. Are letters of rec based off a template considered bad or not thoughtful enough? It's definitely better if your recommender knows you and can speak to who you are. Make sure you have at least one recommender who really knows you (and be on the lookout for ECs that would foster that kind of relationship. Scribing for 700hrs and working in a small research lab produced my best letters) If you're concerned about quality, I would ask directly if they would feel comfortable writing you a strong LOR. Most people wouldn't lie and say yes if they were going to write you a bad/generic one.