Letters of Rec: yes yes I know this has been done to death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCBigBAPS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gone through the past threads and FAQ before anyone suggests it only to come to the conclusion that there seems to be no concensus. I just wanted to know what people are thinking for letters for anesthesia. I was going to get 2 anesthesia letters (one from the PD and one from the attending in charge of the med student rotation), and one chairman letter from medicine. I figure I can use the chairman letter for both anesthesia and medicine prelim years...

However, would it be a good idea to get a letter from a third anesthesia attending? There is this peds anesthesia attending who may be willing to write me one, but do I really need it? No point in wasting someones time. Also, for prelim years... is the chairman letter enough or do I need another? Actually, back to anesthesia... do I need a chair letter for competitive programs?

Heh, looks like I have one more question. I am doing an away at a well respected school this fall. Who would be a good person to get a letter from there.... the attending in charge of the rotation? the PD? the chair? And do you use the letter at only that school, or others?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

One letter is fine, two max. Get medicine and surgery if you can.

DCBigBAPS said:
I have gone through the past threads and FAQ before anyone suggests it only to come to the conclusion that there seems to be no concensus. I just wanted to know what people are thinking for letters for anesthesia. I was going to get 2 anesthesia letters (one from the PD and one from the attending in charge of the med student rotation), and one chairman letter from medicine. I figure I can use the chairman letter for both anesthesia and medicine prelim years...

However, would it be a good idea to get a letter from a third anesthesia attending? There is this peds anesthesia attending who may be willing to write me one, but do I really need it? No point in wasting someones time. Also, for prelim years... is the chairman letter enough or do I need another? Actually, back to anesthesia... do I need a chair letter for competitive programs?

Heh, looks like I have one more question. I am doing an away at a well respected school this fall. Who would be a good person to get a letter from there.... the attending in charge of the rotation? the PD? the chair? And do you use the letter at only that school, or others?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know if this helps, but I'm getting two medicine letters. One from the clerkship director and one from an attending I simply worked closely with. And I'm getting one or two anesthesiology letters--hopefully one from the chair as I am scheduling a rotation on his service for August. One of the anesthesiology letters might turn into a critical care letter. Honestly, I think 3 letters from any one department seems like overkill. Just pick the best two.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, would it be a good idea to get a letter from a third anesthesia attending? There is this peds anesthesia attending who may be willing to write me one, but do I really need it?

Unless your pediatric anesthesia faculty member is famous and/or at a residency program where you strongly desire to go (and you don't already have a letter from that program), I would say no -- you don't need three.

Also, for prelim years... is the chairman letter enough or do I need another?

Chair letter is enough, don't bother with another unless you think it'll be really good.

Actually, back to anesthesia... do I need a chair letter for competitive programs?

No. In fact, at my residency the chair almost never actually does clinical practice -- how would you meet him/her in the OR?

I am doing an away at a well respected school this fall. Who would be a good person to get a letter from there.... the attending in charge of the rotation? the PD? the chair? And do you use the letter at only that school, or others?

Whomever you get along with best should write the letter. A rotation director wrote one of mine. Use it for all your applications.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the advice, sounds good.

Does Freida have a list of medicine prelim programs?

Hey DC

There's a thread on here somewhere and I talked about LORs. but since I cant find it either here's my thoughts.

Get a letter from ANYONE in anesthesiology that knows you well. Yes, getting it from a famous chair is great. However, from the interviews,etc that I landed, I've been told that LORs are more important for their content about you than from who it's from. One of the anesthesiologists who had written mine is probably not known in the ASA circle, however, he knew me very well. He was able to comment upon everything from my knowledge level to how I get along with the staff etc. That's what I suggest you do. Having said that, I got a letter from the PD. I actually got to see his letter. It was nice no doubt, however, it didn't have the personal touch that the other one did.

My advice is get these LORs ASAP. It's less you have to worry about latter. I had 8 LoRs on file with ERAS. I think I only used 4 out of the 10. So realistically that's all you need...about 4 to 5. Personally I dont think it matters who they're from as long as they're personable.

Good luck