Letters of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

St. Nicks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy everybody. I'm new to this forum. I have a question about letters of rec. When you ask professors for letters to send to the AMCAS office in DC, do you also have them send one to you/your school's premed committee?

The reason why I ask is because I'm a first-time applicant, and I know that my application is not necessarily the strongest--I may have to apply again next year or the year after. If this is the case, I'd prefer not to ask for all new letters of recommendation. What is the best way to compile letters to be used at some point on down the line (next year or years from now)? Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Look into a letter collection service at your school. Your recommenders will only need to send one letter to this service, and this service will send out copies to any school you specify to them. Such letter collection services often hold letters for a few years, so they can be sent out on future medical school apps, although using old LOR might not necessarily be in your best interest.

You should also check if your school has a premed committee.

PS
You do not need to send LOR's to AMCAS for your primary application, only on secondaries.