Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools that accept supplemental LORs, how many is a good amount to send - is 6 letters total too many? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. I don't know of any schools that actually prohibit you from sending more than the required/recommended amount. If anyone does know of such a school, please let me know. Otherwise, they'll probably look at the LORs you indicated on your secondary, look at the first couple of them, or look at them all and pick and choose what they want.

My pre-med committee is sending like 8 LORs with my packet. That's what they always do for applicants. They've never heard of any problems with it.

It does depend on the school, but I think that 6 LOR's can only help you, especially if they are strong LOR's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane says no more than 3.

If you send your letters through a letter service, the schools will have no choice but to accept what is sent in the packet.

6 letters is great, same number that I have. Just try to make sure they are all offering a different perspective your indiviuality. Do not send 6 letters from your teachers, it's monotonous and unecessary. But I do suggest varying the letters, a couple science, a non-science, volunteer supervisor, doctor you shadowed, researcher, etc...

Good luck, but luck isn't necessary, because we have each other.
peace
H

I haven't thought about sending more than the number requested by the school. Is this common?

Originally posted by Mr. H
If you send your letters through a letter service, the schools will have no choice but to accept what is sent in the packet.

Well, yes, but once the packet is open, they can do what they want with the letters. For most schools it's probably fine and even helpful to send extra letters, as long as you don't send a ridiculous number like 10 or something.

I sent 4 to all of the 23 schools I applied to except Tulane (I did not want to risk having them think I couldn't follow directions. I did get an interview invite). In most cases this was one more than they wanted, but one school (Case maybe?) wanted 4. Sending out a total of 5-7 letters is very common.

Originally posted by Mr. H If you send your letters through a letter service, the schools will have no choice but to accept what is sent in the packet.

Well, yes, but once the packet is open, they can do what they want with the letters. For most schools it's probably fine and even helpful to send extra letters, as long as you don't send a ridiculous number like 10 or something.

I sent 4 LORs to all of the 23 schools I applied to except Tulane (I did not want to risk having them think I couldn't follow directions. I did get an interview invite). In most cases this was one more than they wanted, but one school (Case maybe?) wanted 4. Sending out a total of 5-7 letters is very common.