letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if letters of rec from community college instructors would be ok. Are letters from university professors given more preference? Does that make much difference at all?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think CC professors are perfectly fine!
I have heard of people having TA's write them letters. I had a post-doc write me a letter. He was my instructor, but not a "professor." This was fine with all the schools.
I really do not think schools give preference to letters based on where the professor came from.
Goodluck!

I think that dental schools will look at who the letter is from. In my committee interview, the guy who interviewed me (who was at USCF for many years and served on the admissions committee) told me that full professors were better than assistant or associate professors. Deans or department heads were even better. So I assume that a letter from a CC teacher would not be looked upon as highly as a comparable letter from a full professor at a major university.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had to choose between a community college prof and a university prof that knew you equally well I would say go with the university one. If the cc one knows you better then I would say that's a better route because they're gonna be able to talk about you in more depth and give the admissions committee a better idea of who you are. I think that in the end a good letter....no matter where it's from.....can't hurt you.

Is the letter supposed to be an open-ended letter where they can write whatever they want, or are there specific instructions (e.g. "write about strengths, weaknesses, etc...")?

I do not see any specific instructions on the ADEA application.