letters of rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucky

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There everyone -
I'm just trying to get a handle on whom I should approach next year for letters of recommendation. I know that I need to get one from my premed advisory board, but beyond that I'm unsure who to ask. I don't want to do anything inappropriate. My options include my advisor, my professors, and my boss (I work as a lab tech, on research projects).
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally most schools don't require any additional letters beyond the pre-med committee. For additional letters, just get folks that know you well and would give you a strong recommendation and say something beyond what the pre-med committee will say. Out of those that you've listed, I would say your boss would be the best one to ask as they could discuss your work ethic, how you handle responsibility, creativity, etc. Good luck.

Letters of rec. can be very important in deciding between you and other candidates. Your school probably has a service where professors you ask can submit their letters to. you have the option to waive access to these letters, which is better for you to do as they often are given more weight by adcoms if you waive. then, your advisor can attach the individual letters to the letter he/she writes.
try to get a few of them on file while you are still fresh in the minds of the professors. it will make applying later easier. only ask for them from prof.s that you performed well in their class and that you believe will write a STRONG letter on your behalf. good luck

Hi,

Make sure you check with your undergrad to see if they require a certain number of letters first then plan your actions.

For instance at my school we have an pre-med advisory committee that writes letters as most undergrad schools do. Most med schools will take just the advisory letter. But at my undergrad in order to get the advisory letter we need to file 5-6 letters of recommendation from professors. So if you haven't already check up on this.

Good luck :)