Letters of Recc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giggles411

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a somewhat general question. How many letters of Recc are we required to get from Proffs (I went to a large Public University where we didn't have a "Pre-med Committee" which writes us letters). And, are they all suppose to be from Science Professors? Thanks a lot!:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Every school has different requirements. Some want 2 science, some want 2 science + 1 non science... check with them.

I got the attached pdf file from another thread a while back. Not sure how accurate it is, but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• med_school_letter_types.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 104
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I have a somewhat general question. How many letters of Recc are we required to get from Proffs (I went to a large Public University where we didn't have a "Pre-med Committee" which writes us letters). And, are they all suppose to be from Science Professors? Thanks a lot!:hardy:

I don't know if this is true everywhere, but the general consensus at Fl. schools seems to be the following:

2 science professors
1 nonscience professors

Those are the minimal.

Some will allow you to send 1 or 2 character letters from someone like a research PI, a volunteer coordinator, a job manager, etc.

Research PIs generally don't count as science professor letters. You should try to obtain science professor letters from people who have had you as a student.

To get a good idea of who is a good letter writer, try to talk to others in your school and find out who were good professor LOR writers, or try to figure out who you had a good repretoire with.

I got the attached pdf file from another thread a while back. Not sure how accurate it is, but it gives you an idea.

Can we get this stickied pretty please with sugar on top??

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks buddy. I'm going to save that and email it to myself for future use.

I think you are covered with two science and one non-science rec. If you have significant EC's, you might want to include a rec from the person in charge (a lab PI for example). Just make sure you don't go over five with your total number of recs.