SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Letters of Recc

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Giggles411, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Giggles411

Giggles411 2+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Hi all,
    I have a somewhat general question. How many letters of Recc are we required to get from Proffs (I went to a large Public University where we didn't have a "Pre-med Committee" which writes us letters). And, are they all suppose to be from Science Professors? Thanks a lot!:hardy:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Kfire326

Kfire326 7+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Every school has different requirements. Some want 2 science, some want 2 science + 1 non science... check with them.

4. Surf Rx

Surf Rx 7+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I got the attached pdf file from another thread a while back. Not sure how accurate it is, but it gives you an idea.

Attached Files:

5. gujuDoc

gujuDoc 10+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2004
    I don't know if this is true everywhere, but the general consensus at Fl. schools seems to be the following:

2 science professors
    1 nonscience professors

Those are the minimal.

Some will allow you to send 1 or 2 character letters from someone like a research PI, a volunteer coordinator, a job manager, etc.

Research PIs generally don't count as science professor letters. You should try to obtain science professor letters from people who have had you as a student.

To get a good idea of who is a good letter writer, try to talk to others in your school and find out who were good professor LOR writers, or try to figure out who you had a good repretoire with.

6. gujuDoc

gujuDoc 10+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Can we get this stickied pretty please with sugar on top??

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks buddy. I'm going to save that and email it to myself for future use.

7. ggman

ggman 2+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2006
    I think you are covered with two science and one non-science rec. If you have significant EC's, you might want to include a rec from the person in charge (a lab PI for example). Just make sure you don't go over five with your total number of recs.